Sex at School Increasing, Some Educators Say

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
"In all the years that I've been in education, I've never run into this one before," said John Boronkay, the school system's acting superintendent. "It's a new one."

Actually, it's not so new. According to some teenagers, sex on school property is more frequent than adults might imagine. And some adults who work with teenagers said it's happening more often these days.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/05/AR2005110501414_pf.html

That makes me feel so old..maybe I was just naive, but sex never happened at any of my schools that I was aware of -certainly I wasn't having any :wink: the biggest thing was kissing and holding hands

Call me old fashioned but I don't think sex should be happening during school or on school property..and there certainly shouldn't be double standards in which the girls and called "sluts" and "whores" and the guys are applauded or whatever

I think the thing that disturbs me the most about this is that the whole incident was apparently in part a "performance," with other boys being invited to watch.
MrsSpringsteen said:
..and there certainly shouldn't be double standards in which the girls and called "sluts" and "whores" and the guys are applauded or whatever
It is telling that there isn't a male equivalent for these terms, or more to the point, for the judgment they express.

A lot of this is happening just a few miles from where I live. There were two instances in the same day. Outrageous, but true.

I think its sad that girls like this have so little self-respect that they are willing to engage in sex acts while others watch.
I think its disgusting that guys are willing to treat girls like this.

I know its nothing new, its been going on forever. But I just find it disturbing that guys mistreating girls is happening at younger and younger ages. I never heard of anything like this happening when I was in high school.

Last edited:
Pearl said:
I think its sad that girls like this have so little self-respect that they are willing to engage in sex acts while others watch.
I think its disgusting that guys are willing to treat girls like this.

When society claims this, isn't this precisely a double standard? It's going to be true in some specific situations where a girl has no self respect and a boy shows her no respect at all when this happens, but still society views this as different for both at the end of the day. We even say it under the guise of attempting to rid the double standard in the first place. But really, if a girl is not a slut or tart or whatever, for engaging in it, then she's no victim either. If the fellow is not a hero or a stud for being so manly, then he's not a cad necessarily either. They're both in the wrong for having sex where it's not approriate. I'm not saying you meant this Pearl, by quoting you, it's just that it seems society is prepared to assign different standards based on gender and that bugs me.

I don't think I was implying a double standard. I definitely was not saying girls who do this are sluts or whores.
When I read the part about a guy and girl getting it on while other guys watched - no girls were watching as well - I thought it was really sad that the girl would turn herself into a spectacle. Sure, the guy she was with did so, but his buddies saw him as a person and cheered him on. I doubt they saw the girl in the same light.

It happens at the school I teach at. The kids will drop the condom wrappers in the hallways. The bigger problem at my school is kids having sex in classrooms and offices in the evening. We just got a memo last week about making sure to lock our doors when we leave b/c 2 students had been caught in the act by the custodians.

Pearl said:
I don't think I was implying a double standard. I definitely was not saying girls who do this are sluts or whores.
When I read the part about a guy and girl getting it on while other guys watched - no girls were watching as well - I thought it was really sad that the girl would turn herself into a spectacle. Sure, the guy she was with did so, but his buddies saw him as a person and cheered him on. I doubt they saw the girl in the same light.

Your post made me think of what society tends to see it as, which is a double standard. I didn't say you were implying this, as I said in the above post. You are right that the kids in this particular instance also saw it differently but I think society does on the whole as well. We allow the girls to be seen as having no self respect or the boys treating the girls poorly. All of which might be very true to some extent, but why do we sum it up so differently for both, is what I'm pondering.

This kind of stuff goes on more than most realize.

In my school, people would occasionally sneak off for a quickie. During the school dances, there would be couples jumping into broom closets. The closest I have had was some rather furious making out behind a staircase on the gym stage, but it wasn't totally unheard of for kids to have had full-penetration sex in school.

Hell, one of my best female friends (whom absolutely nobody would immediately take for a slut or a whore, mind) has given a guy a handjob in class. :shrug:

This happened when I was in highschool too, not in the way that people watched, but more like DaveC says, couples would sneak in to the bathroom. Actually, me and my husband have some fond memories of highschool as well.:shh:

Back
Top Bottom