Setlist Party..err, I mean Debate Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maycocksean said:

Obama has a more conservative health care plan (it's not mandatory), Hillary's is more liberal.

I don't think it's clear cut as to whose health plan is more liberal. Hillary's plan might impose fines on those who can't afford to pay for the health care. It's not clear what type of premium cap exists - perhaps at existing rates, which are already high. In a way it's a gift to the insurance companies because it guarantees them many more customers. Obama at least provides an incentive for health insurance companies to earn their customers by providing affordable premiums and quality coverage.

just watching the rebroadcast of the debate on CNN right now before i go to bed, and it's pretty impressive. very civil, and, wow, lots of substance. it makes me hope that, should HRC win the nomination, that Obama might find his way onto the ticket as a Veep, and that would indeed be formidable.

i also find myself mesmerized by Hillary's eyebrows. her color scheme is striking as well.

Irvine511 said:

i also find myself mesmerized by Hillary's eyebrows. her color scheme is striking as well.

U2? To me it looked like she had two pairs of eyebrows. Could have just been the lighting.

ntalwar said:

I don't think it's clear cut as to whose health plan is more liberal. Hillary's plan might impose fines on those who can't afford to pay for the health care. It's not clear what type of premium cap exists - perhaps at existing rates, which are already high. In a way it's a gift to the insurance companies because it guarantees them many more customers. Obama at least provides an incentive for health insurance companies to earn their customers by providing affordable premiums and quality coverage.

Check it out folks, we might very well have ourselves a debate on the issues brewing. . .

except that I agree with you. I like Obama's plan better. :wink:

i think i'm also struck by Hillary's obvious political talents, not least of which is her felicity with facts and her comfort with detail.

it's a shame her husband sucks up so much air and airtime.

Irvine511 said:
i think i'm also struck by Hillary's obvious political talents, not least of which is her felicity with facts and her comfort with detail.

it's a shame her husband sucks up so much air and airtime.

:yes: I actually thought she was much smoother in answering the questions than Obama was. He answered them well, but his delivery was not as polished as it is when he's giving a prepared speech.

Do you think Bill will be put out to pasture to a degree, if she gains the nomination? I think that might be a good idea in the general election. Not everyone has such good memories of his presidency (especially the people who felt honor needed to be restored to the White House in 2000. Mock the sentiment all you want, but the reality is, it wasn't just rabid conservatives who felt that way). Course putting him out to pasture won't be enough I fear. If she gets the nom we're going to be hearing a lot about Whitewater and travelgate.

Last edited:
anitram said:
When I watch this, I think to myself, whichever one of the two of them is the candidate, there will be a thoughtful, articulate, brilliant person with some real ideas running for president. That is a fact.

The Republicans are old, stale and so pathetic compared to this. It is no surprise that their frontrunner hasn't raised as much money in over a year as Obama raised this month alone.

I think that too, and it is a sharp contrast to the Republicans. It makes me proud. I watched some of the debate on and off until 9PM, because the season premiere of Lost was on and who the hell is going to miss that for a debate? Priorities people :wink: Hopefully CNN might rerun it. Why would they put it up against that? The date for that has been set for months.

I liked Senator Obama's tie, very Alan Shore. And I liked Hillary's chocolate suit with turquoise jewelry. From what I saw on the news this morning they were very lovey dovey with each other.

maycocksean said:

:yes: I actually thought she was much smoother in answering the questions than Obama was. He answered them well, but his delivery was not as polished as it is when he's giving a prepared speech.

she is, by far, the smoothest politician in the field -- republican or democrat -- when it comes to hitting her talking points. you get the sense she could speak it all backwards, and in Chinese.

Irvine511 said:

she is, by far, the smoothest politician in the field -- republican or democrat -- when it comes to hitting her talking points. you get the sense she could speak it all backwards, and in Chinese.

Unfortunately I think she stumbled when the conversation turned to Iraq. Obama's response was far more clear, far less "political" than hers was. Apart from the "it takes a Clinton to clean up after a Bush" soundbite, I found her responses more careful politically than Obama's, and at times that carefulness seemed to make her sound like she was talking for the sake of talking. Again, this is only at times -- at others she was remarkably concise, particularly when delineating between her and the current administration.

I'm also not sure which question it was a response to, but she talked a lot about her husband's record in the White House. Nothing wrong with that (I happen to think he was genuinely effective), but it seems a little disengenuous to cite his accomplishments, but then declare that she's running as her own woman.

Back
Top Bottom