sesame streeet to get new hiv + character

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
An HIV-positive Muppet is moving into Sesame Street.
The character, who will be a five-year-old female, will be unveiled this September on the South African version of the show, called Takalani Sesame. The Muppet is still being designed and doesn't yet have a name or a color. She will interact with the show's other Muppets, including Elmo, in an attempt to overcome the myths that surround HIV and AIDS in a country where more than 10 percent of the population is infected.

The new addition to the Muppet roster was announced this week at the 14th International AIDS Conference in Barcelona by Sesame Street Workshop's vice president and senior adviser, Joel Schneider.

"This character will be fully a part of the community," Schneider tells Reuters. "She will have high self-esteem. Women are often stigmatized about HIV and we are providing a good role model as to how to deal with one's situation and how to interact with the community."

Although scripts are still being hammered out, officials at the South African Broadcasting Corporation, which airs the program, have a general idea of how the character will behave.

"It will have, in a childlike manner, open discussions about sexuality, HIV and AIDS, and death and dying," the broadcaster's Yvonne Kgame tells the Associated Press. "The reality is that children as young as they are affected very closely by HIV/AIDS. They experience death and dying of people very close to them."

South Africa has the world's largest population infected by HIV, with more than 4.7 million people living with the virus.

The HIV-educational outreach was initiated by Sesame Street in cooperation with South Africa's Department of Education, the South African Broadcasting Corporation and the U.S. Agency for International Development.

"Sesame Street works with all of its partners to develop content specific to that country and that's what we do broadcasters all over the world," says Sesame Street Workshop spokeswoman Beatrice Chow.

And for those parents worried that the children's show may be crossing the line into sex ed, Schneider says the subject matter would be handled like all serious topics with appropriate delicacy.

"Not every show will deal explicitly with HIV/AIDS," he tells Reuters. "We want to show that here is an HIV-positive member of our community who you can touch and interact with. We will be very careful to fashion our messages so they are appropriate to the age group. What do I do when I cut my finger? What do I do when you cut your finger? That sort of thing."

The show is no stranger to difficult themes, having taken on school-bullying, death and even the September 11 tragedy.

Sesame Street, which is broadcast in 70 countries, has no immediate plans to debut the character for American viewers. But it's possible she could turn up on other international editions of the show where AIDS education is needed.

good for them.

i'm interested in how they plan to make a preschool show talk about sexuality and hiv/aids.....i mean....those are more adult things.........i don't think they'll understand too much........

although it does sound like a good idea for south africa!!

The question is the ultimate fate of this Muppet.

If they are going to go down this road, it seems possible that this new Muppet character will get terribly ill and eventually pass away.

Should that happen? Certainly, when the actor who played Mr. Hooper (in the U.S. version of the show) passed away, they decided that his character had also passed away, and that gave them a chance to tackle the difficult subject of death. But that's a FAR cry from introducing a character with the expressed purpose of having him die.

And if they don't follow this to conclusion, are they really dealing with the disease in a responsible manner?

Mmmh, I think it is a good idea that they maybe 'show' that AIDS is not a disease that you can get when just talking with someone or being friend with that person, but maybe they........*hmpf*.......it really seems to be not that all day kid-topic and I'm pretty sure that when the puppet will die - or they will give her medicine and just give her a bit more time - there'll be a lot of sad kids around..... :( I don't know what to think about this all......

how dumb
icon13.gif
....its a lil' pre-school kids show for god's sake!!!!

I think something that's important to remember is that it's a show being broadcast in South Africa - a country where in some parts of the country over 10% of the population have AIDS or are HIV+.

It's not something which doesn't affect children - hundreds of thousands of children are affected, often because the illness is passed on to them by their parents. AIDS/HIV isn't the remote, unfamiliar issue it is in some countries - it affects the lives of many children in South Africa, either because they themselves have the illness or they have friends or family members who do.

In that situation, it's a positive thing that the issue is dealt with responsibly in a way which will educate people. Lack of education about the subject not only leads to unnecessary fear of those who have AIDS/HIV (ie ideas that you can catch HIV from holding hands with someone, or from using the same bathroom as someone with the illness), but can also put people in danger if they are unaware of how to protect themselves from the illness. Hopefully this show will educate children and mean that children who have the illness don't suffer because of the mistrust or fear of their peers, and reduce the risk of children being affected by the illness because they don't know how to protect themselves.

On the subject of whether they're just introducing a character to die - if an individual is able to get good medical care, they can live for many years even after contracting HIV.

I completely agree with FizzingWhizzbees. I see no reason that sexuality even has to be brought on the show up in regards to this. I would question it if the character were being introduced on the US show, but in Africa, I think it's a very pertinent topic.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
On the subject of whether they're just introducing a character to die - if an individual is able to get good medical care, they can live for many years even after contracting HIV.

True, but that only delays the inevitable: the show's producers will eventually have to confront the character's mortality. Otherwise, they will be rightfully accused of glossing over the reality of the disease.

It's one thing to have a Sesame Street Muppet be a toddler for twenty years. It's one thing to have a Muppet live with a physical disability - be it blindness or relegation to a wheelchair. But it's another thing entirely to have a Muppet live with a LETHAL virus for twenty years.

Not everywhere is lucky enough to be in the idyllically naive United States. South Africa has a 44%+ HIV infection rate in the population, not to mention countless numbers of children in that rate. It's meant to express tolerance, and death by HIV is very much a reality for South African youth, whether it is fair or not. At least those children with HIV shall perhaps take comfort in their short years of life with a friendly character to identify with.

I'm not even going to discuss sexuality. Again, this is unimportant. Most HIV infections are passed on through heterosexual activity outside of the U.S., and this is true for South Africa as well. Most children are born with the disease in this nation. Drugs are not readily available to most people in Africa, so death is a relatively quick inevitability.

Perhaps think about this before we put on our judgmental, Puritanical American colored lenses.

Melon

Last edited:
melon said:
I'm not even going to discuss sexuality. Again, this is unimportant.

Just remember it wasn't the naive, judgemental, Puritanical Americans who mentioned it.

"It will have, in a childlike manner, open discussions about sexuality..." the broadcaster's Yvonne Kgame tells the Associated Press.

I believe Yvonne is South African.

Anyway...I think it's a smart addition to the show. It certainly seems that HIV would be a very relevant topic to kids there.

Anybody remember Linda, the deaf lady on Sesame Street here in the States? She was the only deaf person I knew when I was a kid, so I'm glad she was on the show.

It sounds like a good idea to me; and Melon is right: sexuality need not be an issue with this character, just as it is not a sole factor in the African AIDS crisis (or AIDS in general).

Spiral_Staircase makes a good example of the deaf character as well, and the effect the character had on him.

~U2Alabama

Seseme Street was sooo much better! I grew up and that stuff!

But aside from that...sounds like a good idea

I don't think this is a good idea.. Thankfully it won't be coming here to America.. It robs these kids of their childhood.. They don't need to be confronted by diseases and the horror that accompanies them as a young child. It has been commented on that in S. Africa... HIV is a social issue.. Well, How about Prostitutes.. Murder.. Very Prominent Social Issues in that country. Do we need a muppet for all of these things to bring these other social issues to the forefront? Sure arguments can be made to bring it into S. Africa.. But to do it without even bringing in Sexuality?.. Are we going to bull shit these kids.. I mean, how does this thing get transferred ultimately (the root cause before being 'born with it as a kid').. Sexual Activities, and Blood Contact from needles et al.. Specifically Drugs. Are we going to pretend this thing just appears when they are born say, 'That's just how this person is'?.. Please.. It's not something you can go half way on, if you're going to do this.
Anyways, I'm also giving a wayward glance to where this thing came from?.. I've got a feeling it's from some Gay Rights.. or Homosexual Conglomerate agenda to 'popularize' or 'normalize' this Disease into common society's views.

L.Unplugged

But, Lemonite, wouldn't you agree that the African AIDS epidemic is broader than the social AIDS epidemic here? It is so widespread there, that for most of the children with AIDS, it does just "appear" when they are born (after being passed from their parent(s). The sexual issues and shared needles (which probably isn't a big source in sub-Saharan Africa) do not even have to be addressed.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:
It is so widespread there, that for most of the children with AIDS, it does just "appear" when they are born (after being passed from their parent(s).

~U2Alabama

I've been thinking on this since I first heard it, but this is just part of the issue, and only a small reason of a totality to be against this muppet... But on this particular part, I see how they can view this Horrible and Lethal Disease as just appearing, but I feel it's an exploitation on their ignorance and naiveness, and just think that it doesn't need to be half assed... regardless of appearances...
I know.. just differences of opinions.. But, as I wrote earlier, I acknowledge that I see how the idea can surface.. I guess that's it.. Ah well.. Someone pass me the innuendo free, social commentary exempt 'Song Of The South' Video.. Don't ya love the Bluebird.

L.Unplugged

Last edited:
Lemonite said:
I don't think this is a good idea.. Thankfully it won't be coming here to America.. It robs these kids of their childhood.. They don't need to be confronted by diseases and the horror that accompanies them as a young child.

But very often they are already confronted by this because they themselves, or a friend, a family member is affected by AIDS/HIV. Having the issue addressed and explained to them might take away some of the fear and misunderstanding around the issue. I see why you feel like children shouldn't be confronted by difficult issues, but for lots of children they're already confronted by them in their day to day lives, a tv show wouldn't be introducing them to an issue they'd never heard of.

Anyways, I'm also giving a wayward glance to where this thing came from?.. I've got a feeling it's from some Gay Rights.. or Homosexual Conglomerate agenda to 'popularize' or 'normalize' this Disease into common society's views.

L.Unplugged

Actually, Lemonite, the most common way for AIDS/HIV to be transmitted is through heterosexual sex. It's not an issue which affects only lesbian and gay people - it's an issue which affects millions of people regardless of their sexuality.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

but for lots of children they're already confronted by them in their day to day lives, a tv show wouldn't be introducing them to an issue they'd never heard of.
[/B]

I understand this point, and I've read this thread so no need to reply with the 'we don' tneed to broach sexuality' reply from earlier, but as Bama said earlier they probably just see this disease 'appear', and to not give the whole story.. even in sesame street style (With Grover Mounting Yoda) is an exploitation on their extreme youth.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

Actually, Lemonite, the most common way for AIDS/HIV to be transmitted is through heterosexual sex. It's not an issue which affects only lesbian and gay people - it's an issue which affects millions of people regardless of their sexuality. [/B]

*SigH*.. Again, you are succumbing to your idealistic notions of the world.. This above is irrelevant to my point.. I'm saying that I wouldn't be surprised that these Homosexuals have some sort of agenda a mile long beyond just 'exposing children' to this Horrible and Terrible Disease.. and that agenda is in 'socializing' or 'normalizing' AIDS, and a puppet reaching millions of kids saying 'It's Cool To Have AIDS (Sarcasm)' will do just that. This is like saying that the militant environmentalists want to 'save the environment' when they really all they want is to Tear down Capitalism... It's all illusions... See them if you want.

L.Unplugged

Lemonite said:
*SigH*.. Again, you are succumbing to your idealistic notions of the world.. This above is irrelevant to my point.. I'm saying that I wouldn't be surprised that these Homosexuals have some sort of agenda a mile long beyond just 'exposing children' to this Horrible and Terrible Disease.. and that agenda is in 'socializing' or 'normalizing' AIDS, and a puppet reaching millions of kids saying 'It's Cool To Have AIDS (Sarcasm)' will do just that.
L.Unplugged

But...why would gay people have some sort of horrible agenda here? To begin with I'm not aware that it has anything to do with gay rights campaigners, and also in what way would it benefit lesbian or gay people?

FizzingWhizzbees said:

But...why would gay people have some sort of horrible agenda here? To begin with I'm not aware that it has anything to do with gay rights campaigners, and also in what way would it benefit lesbian or gay people?

Hahahah... EVERYONE has an agenda.. Asking But Why? will leave you nowhere but behind. As I wrote above, 'I would not be surprised'.., It was an analysis of the situation.. some conclusions that were drawn. Critical Thinking. I never said that there was some queen out there stating such things with a rainbow flag as a cape.. But then again, this may be some sort of innocent 'Let's expose this to the kids, Rob them of their childhood, and Throw a horrible terrible disease into their faces when they're still crapping in their pants.' schtick by Sesame Street.. But like I said before.. And this is the key part.. "I wouldn't be surprised." And you shouldn't be either.

L.Unplugged

Let's assume that this is part of "the gay agenda." I guess I don't see anything wrong with "socializing" and "normalizing" AIDS. In fact, it's probably a good thing. I'll go back to the example of "deaf Linda" from Sesame Street. As a little kid, when I finally did encounter a deaf person, I'm sure it was less of a big deal because Sesame Street had clued me in. I knew that a deaf person might make some sounds (that sounded strange to me as a little kid), but couldn't talk, and that that was totally normal. It helped "normalize" deafness for me, so it didn't freak me out. It didn't make me think "hey, it's cool to be deaf", it made me think "deaf people are normal people."

Why wouldn't we want to do that with AIDS in a country where kids are sure have interactions someone with AIDS? I fail to see the exploitation of youth here.

Spiral_Staircase said:

Why wouldn't we want to do that with AIDS in a country where kids are sure have interactions someone with AIDS? I fail to see the exploitation of youth here.

AIDS is not deafness. By Making it Socially Acceptable, we're condoning the ways it is aquired. Anyways, We're going off the assumption made by Bama here that the kids just see AIDS 'appear' without any insight into how it comes about... SStreet will not delve into sexuality or how the disease comes about.. So, they're just BSing the kids.. By not giving them the full story.. they'll grow up and realize the reality.. Sesame Street is 'pretending' to expose these kids to AIDS.

Protecting the Children's Childhood,
L.Unplugged

Last edited:
"By condoning the ways it is acquired"...did you ever stop to think that a lot of these children acquired this disease through the process of their birth? In what way is that morally unexcusable or even reprehensible?

LOVE MUSCLE said:
I wonder if the show will have a muppet Bono come visit them

am I the only one who burst out laughing at this?

anyway, good points from fizzing, melon, bama, spiral...the usual suspects.

w/r/t muppet living with HIV for 20 years...well, I certainly knew someone who lived with it for 20 years and died from something completely unrelated, and I think it would be healthy to deal with that subject with kids--the whole subject, dying from AIDS and living with HIV. When I was a kid, I dealt with 'adult issues' like threats of nuclear attack (we had drills in first grade--this was the late 60's). I think HIV/AIDS is easier to explain to kids, and something they will more likely encounter, than why someone would crash a plane into tall buildings and kill innocent people.

sulawesigirl4 said:
"By condoning the ways it is acquired"...did you ever stop to think that a lot of these children acquired this disease through the process of their birth? In what way is that morally unexcusable or even reprehensible?

not to mention blood transfusions...wouldn't want to condone that:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom