Sen. Brownback (R-KS) assaulting the rights of DC gay couples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
i don't live in Kansas, have no desire to -- so can someone tell me why the fuck a republican from a vastly different culture gets to threaten to relegate an estimated 15% of washignton DC residents to 2nd class citizens? now i know how the colonized felt ... i'm glad there's more democracy in Kirkuk than in DC.

District Warned On Gay Marriage, Williams Fears Congressional Ire Will Affect Budget

By Spencer S. Hsu and Lori Montgomery

Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, April 21, 2005; Page A01

A leading Senate Republican warned Mayor Anthony A. Williams (D) yesterday that a move to recognize gay marriages in the nation's capital would trigger a sharp backlash from Congress, and the mayor acknowledged that the District could jeopardize its budget agenda and domestic partner benefits if it mishandles the issue.

Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback (R), the new chairman of the Senate Appropriations subcommittee on the District, said he wanted to hear more from Williams but opposed a statement by the city's attorney general that "validly married same-sex couples" may file joint D.C. tax returns.

"I was hopeful we weren't going to be confronting this issue. But it appears there will need to be a review and a discussion," said Brownback, 48, a potential presidential candidate in 2008 who sponsored an unsuccessful effort to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban same-sex marriages last year.

"I have been and continue to be a strong believer and protector of traditional marriage. I think it's an important issue for society and for the country," Brownback said. "This issue has now been moving across the country for several years, and I guess we will deal with something in D.C. now."

Across the nation, 40 states, including Virginia and Maryland, ban recognition of gay marriages or define marriage as the union of a man and a woman, according to Human Rights Campaign, a gay advocacy organization.

Maryland this year approved legislation granting medical decision-making rights and other privileges to same-sex couples, joining a list of six states and the District.

Brownback and other members of Congress reacted strongly to a statement this week by Attorney General Robert J. Spagnoletti regarding a tax-filing question by a gay District couple married last year in Massachusetts. Spagnoletti said that the city's Office of Tax and Revenue reserves the authority to reject the couple's filing.

His comments forced the Williams administration to address a subject that it has ducked for a year. At a lunch with Washington Post editors and reporters, Williams said the D.C government "will have a decision soon" on the legality of filings but declined to say whether the District would recognize same-sex marriages performed in Massachusetts.

Williams acknowledged that he received an opinion from Spagnoletti on the latter question a year ago and declined to make it public, but added, "I'm talking to my own general counsel . . . and to a number of different people."

Williams said that while he supports gay unions, "My personal opinion and what I do as a matter of the public policy of the District sometimes may be aligned and sometimes may be different."

At one point, the mayor ventured that the decision may lie with D.C. Chief Financial Officer Natwar M. Gandhi, whose office oversees the tax collector and is an independent legal entity.

Gandhi said Tuesday that he would take no action without consulting Williams and Spagnoletti.

The mayor explained his reticence, saying he is "very -- extremely -- concerned" about the reaction by Congress, where "I think that a lot would be in jeopardy, yes."

He cited the District's $8 billion budget, which requires annual approval by Congress and which city officials have tried in recent years to rid of such controversial social issues as amendments barring its spending of tax dollars on free drug-needle exchange programs and statehood lobbying.

The District, which has a higher percentage of same-sex couples living together than any U.S. city after San Francisco, according to gay rights groups, also fought 10 years to get Congress to approve its domestic partner benefits program.

The law, implemented in July 2002, permits two unmarried people who live at the same residence to register with the Office of Vital Records to gain hospital visitation privileges, participate in medical decisions and to claim a partner's body after death.

"We're at a very, very difficult situation because we're not just any city," Williams said.

"We're concerned about the impact and ramifications as it relates to what we've been able to do with domestic partners . . . what we've been able to do in eliminating riders on the [budget] bill, that's one set of issues that are really implicated."

Sen. Bareback really just epitomizes the modern GOP: immature schoolyard bullies, who get aggressive the minute they don't get their way.

Melon

Irvine511 said:
"I was hopeful we weren't going to be confronting this issue. But it appears there will need to be a review and a discussion," said Brownback, 48, a potential presidential candidate in 2008 who sponsored an unsuccessful effort to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban same-sex marriages last year.

:down:...

Originally posted by Irvine511
"I have been and continue to be a strong believer and protector of traditional marriage. I think it's an important issue for society and for the country," Brownback said.

:banghead:...I'm so sick of this. If the concept of "traditional marriage" is so important to him, why isn't he yelling at all the STRAIGHT people who've totally screwed up the concept of "traditional" marriage? I don't think Britney Spears' 55 hour wedding would qualify as a "traditional" marriage in his definition. But you don't see him getting all over people like her. Arrrrrrrggggggghhhh...

Also, I'm confused...I thought Republicans were against the government having a big role in our lives. So why exactly are some of them so concerned with people's personal relationships again?

Angela

oy. enough of this crap already! :scream:

pssst....irvine.....i might be moving to DC in september (well i'll be in college but my parents will be living there and i'll of course come and visit)

You don't get it, Angel. We are currently livng in a police state, run by people who are in some ways just a step below the Taliban. The Talibs threaten with violence...these people with emails, the ballot box, and most importantly, money.

Only the hysterical (and successful) diverting of the publics' attention from the REAL issues, by such topics as this one, and euthenasia, and abortion, and "judges" (hm), are prevenitng the people from what should be a sustained national outcry. I wonder what people will dow hen they find out they can't file a class-action lawsuit? Or FILE BANKRUPCY now?

But then, if this is all that people are responding to, then we dieserve our "leaders." We deserve every bit. We, the sheep, deserve to be scrweed (no pun intended.)

The DC government is one of the most corrupt ones in the country, so I would not be surprised if they change their mind regarding gay marriage if a few dollars are passed below the table...

Teta040 said:
You don't get it, Angel.

Heh, yeah, you're right. I don't get it. It's their relationship, not mine, as long as they aren't beating each other up or something along that line, why the hell should I care what they do? What danger do a loving, committed homosexual couple pose to me or anyone else?

Seriously, I try and remain as optimistic about the human race as I possibly can, because I know that there are some good-hearted people left out there. But when I hear stories like this...my optimism is really tested, and I don't like that, 'cause I value that optimism quite a bit-helps get me through the tough stuff.

It just bugs me. For some people to actually go so far as to try and ban this kind of thing...yeah, way to totally go against what America's supposed to stand for, guys.

Angela

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom