Second Abu Ghraib photos release delayed, here's why...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000990590

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld told Congress last year, after viewing a large cache of unreleased images: "I mean, I looked at them last night, and they're hard to believe.” They show acts "that can only be described as blatantly sadistic, cruel and inhumane," he added.

NBCrusader, comment?

Sting2, comment?

I welcome your input.

Dreadsox, at least you are man enough to admit when your government is in the wrong, and condemn it.

US citizens, your tax dollars paid for this.

Speak now, or forever hold your peace.

Message ends.

Yours sincerely,

financeguy,
truth teller

Last edited:
BrownEyedBoy said:
None of the people on these boards had anything to do with this. Stop trying to make people feel guilty about it.

Besides that, thanks for bringing this up.

With respect, there are people on these boards that defend the Bush Administration at every opportunity, that refuse to listen to the evidence in front of their eyes, that dismiss any negative human rights reports regarding the Bush Administration as trivial or propaganda, that come on here and dismiss organisations like Amnesty International. I have seen their posts here with my own eyes.

There are people on these boards that defend the use of napalm to kill Iraqi citizens, that use the Bible to defend state murder of children, and other things that are disgusting to me.

So, no, with respect, I do not agree that I should refrain from 'trying to make people feel guilty about it'.

dear financeguy,

if we don't torture these turban heads, who will? surely not the pussy french. if we close abu ghraib the terrorists win. it's that simple.

yours sincerely,

se7en
[/sarcasm]

What's your point? Rumsfeld says they're disgusting, and you agree with him. I think we all do.

Do your really think that we should tear the entire facility down and set the prisoners free as a result of this? Wouldn't simply removing the problem soldiers be a more effecient approach?

If you think the same behaviors are continuing just because the same building with the same name exists, I think you're wrong. Unless you have any evidence to suggest abuses are continuing, please lay off with the guilt trip.

Like BrownEyedBoy said, none of us did it, Bush didn't do it, the people who did it should be punished.

Doesn't change the situation, people were abused, those that perpetrated that abuse must be punished, the degree of oversight or lack therof determines how far up responsibility lies.

The Bush Admin. needs to stop hiding the truth and release the photos. Close the place? No I don't think it should be closed but anyone committing abuse should be punished.

Man, I think we should bomb the whole Iraqi Iranian nation. Get rid of the problem, already.

And I'm fucking democrat. Bomb em. We have the power.

^ i hope to hell your joking, and even if you are that is totally in poor taste.

I think if you polled the world on whether we should bomb america or iraq, you'd have a tie on your hands....

i think if everyone took a step back you'd realise WE are the problem. the INVADERS of a country. not the other way around.

Maggie1 said:
The Bush Admin. needs to stop hiding the truth and release the photos. Close the place? No I don't think it should be closed but anyone committing abuse should be punished.

I don't know. Rumsfeld and the senators quoted openly admitted there were scenes of rape and murder, and that the perpetrators are being punished. While it's right for the public to be informed of this, I don't know if it's entirely appropriate to release graphic videos like that to the public.

The Bush Adm. is trying to win a war here, just as the Kennedy, Eisenhower, Truman, Roosevelt, Lincoln.... etc. adm. do. there are massive fuck ups. this is one. those who did this should be punished, and they have/will be. the public is fine without these images.

We are not the commiters of mass genocide like Saddam was. 1,000,000 of his own people. how is that at all ok? what the hell is wrong here? this should have been finished in the 90s, by the first Bush, or by clinton when the facts were also present. they both failed here, and the ethnic cleansing kept up.

The problem is, what if the chain of blame leads all the way up to the very top? Or at least to Rumsfeld? How would they be "punished"? Would the public want to punish them? And if so, the pulbic must ask itself a serious question...what price are we willing to pay? Our civil rights, after all, survived Pearl Harbor. They won't survive this.

As for killing the "turban heads" I'd suggest you lay off with the racist statements. I lost 70% of my mother's side of the family in 1915 becuase we were "gaiours" (infidels.) We were savagely murdered at the hands of Moslems. Turks. And part of it WAS religious war on their part. If there was anyone you'd expect to be NOT PC, it would be me. But I'm not being PC b/'c I'm a softie.

And I don't hate. There's a lovey little story I'd love to tell you all. About me, a group of friends, and the Turkish Embassy, in 1994. We thought we were the strong ones. We thought we were the morally right. When I walked out of there, I knew I wasn't as innocent as I seemed. Nothing happened there, at least outwardly. But everything happened, and it was enough. That's why I have decided not to hate. If you're all up to it, I'd tell you....

I'd like to see you call your co-worker a Turban-head. Or a dot-head. Or a hajji (the name they have for them in Iraq.) Go on, you cowards, I DARE you.

This all goes back to the Ring thing..for those of you whp dismiss Tolkien as mere fantasy. Using the enemy's own methods against him to win the war only wins the war.....but what does it do to YOU? What price do you have to pay? We used the Bomb against Japan to win WWII, and we did, but look at the price we've had to pay for that...if we hadn't invented and used the bomb, we wouldn't be worrying today aobut terrorists getting hold of it. No other nations would have one, of course. We may still end up paying the ultimate price for our actions....we invented the damned thing, we used it, and other nations wanted it. Some of them we even supplied with them. If (God forbid) some crackpot eventually decides to gooff on a rampage, the CORE fault lies with us.

I wonder..how many of you have seen the documentary "The Fog OF War"? Do you think Rumsfled might ever come clean the way NacNamara did? Nope. And he discusses Japan in there. What guaruntees would we have had that Japan would have won without our using the Bomb? They'd have killed a major part of the Army, to be sure. We'd have taken a grevious blow from which we'd have taken 50 yrs to recover, if not more. But in Civil War we suffered worse. Somewhere along the way, we made a wrong decision....

Last edited:
VertigoGal said:
What's your point? Rumsfeld says they're disgusting, and you agree with him. I think we all do.

Do your really think that we should tear the entire facility down and set the prisoners free as a result of this? Wouldn't simply removing the problem soldiers be a more effecient approach?

If you think the same behaviors are continuing just because the same building with the same name exists, I think you're wrong. Unless you have any evidence to suggest abuses are continuing, please lay off with the guilt trip.

Like BrownEyedBoy said, none of us did it, Bush didn't do it, the people who did it should be punished.

My intention is not to offend anyone.

A_Wanderer's reponse is the correct and appropriate one.

financeguy said:
http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000990590

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld told Congress last year, after viewing a large cache of unreleased images: "I mean, I looked at them last night, and they're hard to believe.” They show acts "that can only be described as blatantly sadistic, cruel and inhumane," he added.

NBCrusader, comment?

Sting2, comment?

I welcome your input.

Dreadsox, at least you are man enough to admit when your government is in the wrong, and condemn it.

US citizens, your tax dollars paid for this.

Speak now, or forever hold your peace.

Message ends.

Yours sincerely,

financeguy,
truth teller

I smell the rotting flesh of a dead horse being flogged.........

financeguy said:

My intention is not to offend anyone.

A_Wanderer's reponse is the correct and appropriate one.

I agree with you, and A_Wanderer. I think everyone here does. No one denies it happened. (Mr Truth Teller :wink: ) I just don't understand what purpose graphic videos of rape and murder serve.

Re: Re: Second Abu Ghraib photos release delayed, here's why...

cardosino said:
I smell the rotting flesh of a dead horse being flogged.........

I haven't posted a thread on Abu Ghraib before. What's your point, other than to leave random drive by comments in threads, as is your habit of late?

Well, I have about thirty seconds before my wife catches me sneaking out of bed to respond to a thread.

I am not sure if the initial post was meant to be a complement towards me...if it was...I find it difficult to say thank you...

NBC and Sting have NEVER to my knowledge condoned the behavior of the troops at Abu Ghraib. Their positions on the other issues involving Iraq have NOTHING at all to do with supporting the behavior of these individuals.

That is all the stregnth I have in me for now....I find it inappropriate that members of the FYM community were singled out in this manner. It may not have been your intent to sound as harsh as it did...I cannot tell I am too drugged up....

la la la la la la la la la la la lady with the spinning head

Back
Top Bottom