Sean Penn alleges his trip to Iraq cost him $10,000,000 movie role

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
Sean Penn alleges his trip to Iraq cost him $10,000,000 movie roll

I can't find the link to the story but I heard it on the radio this morning. He claims director Stephen Bing denied him a roll in his upcoming movie because of his negative publicity over his trip to Iraq and alleged anti-Americanism. He is demanding the $10 million anyway and I think he's sueing. Bing denies it and says he wasn't going to choose Penn for the role anyway and his claim was no more than 'extortion.' Penn accused Bing of 'old time Hollywood blacklisting.' We'll never know the truth, but the DJ's believe Penn was turned down because of the negative effect his presence would have on the film's popularity since so many people dislike him now a la 'Hanoi Jane' for going over to 'the enemy.' They also claimed Richard Gere was snubbed by the Oscars for his 'extracurricular activites.' Now of course all this is speculation, but just the same I am so glad Bono didn't go to Iraq!:sigh:

and would a mod please change the title of this thread to 'movie ROLE' not 'roll'- I screwed up but you can't edit a title. I had 'rock and roll' on my mind:der: I knew better really.

look, ive said it before, but to be a true american you must be patriotic to the extreme. any dissent, and you are bound for punishment. its only fair. our great leader demands unquestioning authority, and i for one am thrilled to throw away all my rights! follow him blindly, i beg you!

Big difference btwn Bono and Sean Penn.

The world wants and will buy another U2 album, whether he goes to Iraq or not.

Hence Universal cannot afford to 'blacklist' Bono.

The world can live without another Sean Penn movie. :lmao:

nbcrusader said:
The "victim syndrome" hits Hollywood.

No kidding. I think this invalidates any statement he was trying to make by going to Iraq in the first place.

I wouldn't have ANY respect for Bono if he didn't do something just because he was worried about his popularity or record sales afterwards.

obviously hes doing this third world thing to raise his public profile for their next lp... :sexywink:

:wink:

Here's the story:

Actor Penn Claims Lost Movie Role Over Iraq Views
Wed Feb 12, 4:02 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor Sean Penn (news) is claiming in a lawsuit that he lost a movie role because of his public opposition to a U.S. war against Iraq.

amdf207535.jpg

But Movie producer Steve Bing has countered in his own lawsuit that Penn is "irrational and irresponsible" and accused the actor of trying to extort $10 million for a movie he had no deal to star in.

Bing and Penn hit each other with Los Angeles Superior Court lawsuits on Tuesday in a bitter feud over the putative movie, "Why Men Shouldn't Marry," that could result in a classic courtroom showdown.

Penn, the ex-husband of Madonna, accused Bing of "borrowing a page from the dark era of Hollywood blacklisting" by allegedly reneging on a contract for him to play the lead in the movie after Penn aired his views on Iraq in a January television interview.

Bing, most famous for a bitter dispute over paternity of British actress Elizabeth Hurley's child, termed Penn's claim blackmail.

Bing alleged that on Penn's return from Iraq, Penn threatened "to turn their business dispute into a First Amendment crusade" although it had nothing to do with free speech, threatening to tell the media he had been forced off the movie because of his opposition to a U.S. invasion.

Bing said he had never closed a deal with Penn but had spent millions of dollars on pre-production for the movie which he wrote and intends to direct in the belief that the actor would be on board.

Penn claims breach of oral contract and is asking for $10 million in damages. Bing claims civil extortion and is claiming $15 million in damages.

Back
Top Bottom