Sd.366

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the iron horse

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Sunday Dispatch .366

New York: Do you align yourself with any party?

Terrence Howard: No, I firmly believe in what the Bible set out: that God’s kingdom is the real kingdom. And that king is superior to all other kings on the Earth. A lot of things that flawed mankind is trying to accomplish on the Earth—I think a lot of it is in vain, because we just don’t have the capacity to rule ourselves successfully. Six thousand years of mankind’s rulership has pretty much proved that.

the iron horse said:
Sunday Dispatch .366

Terrence Howard: No, I firmly believe in what the Bible set out: that God’s kingdom is the real kingdom. And that king is superior to all other kings on the Earth. A lot of things that flawed mankind is trying to accomplish on the Earth—I think a lot of it is in vain, because we just don’t have the capacity to rule ourselves successfully. Six thousand years of mankind’s rulership has pretty much proved that.

Sounds like a copout, along with being another example of how easy it is for almost any viewpoint, no matter how moronic, to be justified by recourse to the bible.

Re: Re: Sd.366

financeguy said:
Sounds like a copout, along with being another example of how easy it is for almost any viewpoint, no matter how moronic, to be justified by recourse to the bible.

I tend to agree. Of all the regimes that claimed to be "Biblically-based," they were the most "unsuccessful" of them all; that is, if there's one thing for certain, theocracy is a failed system of government.

Re: Re: Re: Sd.366

melon said:

I tend to agree. Of all the regimes that claimed to be "Biblically-based," they were the most "unsuccessful" of them all; that is, if there's one thing for certain, theocracy is a failed system of government.

You might be thinking theocracy is a failed system because it has not yet been instituted by it's first definition. As a Christian, I believe one day it will be.

The definitions:

the·oc·racy

noun

1. lit., the rule of a state by God or a god

2. government by a person or persons claiming to rule with divine authority

3. a country governed in this way

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sd.366

the iron horse said:

1. lit., the rule of a state by God or a god

the·oc·ra·cy
–noun, plural -cies.

1. a form of government in which God or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler, the God's or deity's laws being interpreted by the ecclesiastical authorities.
2. a system of government by priests claiming a divine commission.
3. a commonwealth or state under such a form or system of government.

And this will NEVER happen, all definitions fail.

When God wants to rule my personal life he should step down and tell me.

In the middle ages Europe was pretty much a quasi theocracy with much too much power in the hands of one person sitting in Rome (ignoring the schism here).

Vincent Vega said:
When God wants to rule my personal life he should step down and tell me.

In the middle ages Europe was pretty much a quasi theocracy with much too much power in the hands of one person sitting in Rome (ignoring the schism here).

Press >>> Play

The iron hand it ain't no match for the iron rod,
The strongest wall will crumble and fall to a mighty God.
For all those who have eyes and all those who have ears
It is only He who can reduce me to tears.
Don't you cry and don't you die and don't you burn
For like a thief in the night, He'll replace wrong with right
When He returns.

Truth is an arrow and the gate is narrow that it passes through,
He unleashed His power at an unknown hour that no one knew.
How long can I listen to the lies of prejudice?
How long can I stay drunk on fear out in the wilderness?
Can I cast it aside, all this loyalty and this pride?
Will I ever learn that there'll be no peace, that the war won't cease
Until He returns?

Surrender your crown on this blood-stained ground, take off your mask,
He sees your deeds, He knows your needs even before you ask.
How long can you falsify and deny what is real?
How long can you hate yourself for the weakness you conceal?
Of every earthly plan that be known to man, He is unconcerned,
He's got plans of His own to set up His throne
When He returns.

~Bob Dylan

When God wants to rule my personal life he should step down and tell me

What Mr. Dylan is getting at here, is not a religious theocracy, per se, but a planet ruled by God himself.

And if you don't believe in God, well, I don't think you could understand at all what that means. If you do, you'd look forward to it.

MadelynIris said:

What Mr. Dylan is getting at here, is not a religious theocracy, per se, but a planet ruled by God himself.

And if you don't believe in God, well, I don't think you could understand at all what that means. If you do, you'd look forward to it.

Yes, but then what is the original poster getting at? He seems to WANT a theocracy...

And you don't seem to understand that I want a theocracy also, if it is defined by the first definition, that is to say, actually ruled by God.

A world ruled by God, and the God I believe, which isn't short of cash mister. ;)

Last edited:
MadelynIris said:
And you don't seem to understand that I want a theocracy also, if it is defined by the first definition, that is to say, actually ruled by God.

A world ruled by God, and the God I believe, which isn't short of cash mister. ;)

1. a form of government in which God or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler, the God's or deity's laws being interpreted by the ecclesiastical authorities.

"the god's OR deity's laws being interpreted by the ecclesiastical authorities"

^that doesn't sound like God.

Plus where in the Bible does God ever speak of wanting to run a theocracy?

the iron horse said:
Sunday Dispatch .366

This man will surely have 72 virgins waiting for him in heaven. :up:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom