Screw The White People in Evacuation- Cover your Racist Asses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sherry Darling said:
Seriously, I think if there was any discrimination at play here, it had more to do with poverty being invisible in our country than black or white. We can't pretend race and poverty don't correlate in the US, but neither are they they same. Either way, call me naive, but I do hope that we might learn our national lesson and INVEST in our infrastrucuture. Which yes, kids, does mean taxes and government, preferably staffed by folks who have not padded their resumes. :mad:

And I think I said or alluded to that....

This was not a case of people being targeted at all....

POVERTY does not discriminate...

verte76 said:
This is really too bad. No one should have been ignored, no matter what or who they are.

And that has been my point all along.

My contention in this thread....is that our politicians....reacting to the RACE CARD being played against them....OVER responded in some areas and under responded in others.

Re: Re: Screw The White People in Evacuation- Cover your Racist Asses

Irvine511 said:

Dread, it's a very sad story, but the race angle equivalency is being invented by you, and it's incidental to the real discussion that's been going on regarding race. you sound like Kanye.

That is one of the FUNNIEST...posts I have read...

Thank you for making me laugh....

Let me know when you and I reach some common ground again.

Hopefully it is sooner rather than later.

All of the articles I have quoted in this thread come from NON-RIGHT WING sights.....

I will continue however to quote from any site that makes valid arguments....

Your article has NOTHING to do with this thread....

If the Governor of LA and the Mayor of NO did their jobs from the beginning.....

Maybe the resources could have saved lives here in this parish.

That was the point of this thread.

Re: Re: Re: Screw The White People in Evacuation- Cover your Racist Asses

Dreadsox said:

That is one of the FUNNIEST...posts I have read...

Thank you for making me laugh....

Let me know when you and I reach some common ground again.

Hopefully it is sooner rather than later.

All of the articles I have quoted in this thread come from NON-RIGHT WING sights.....

I will continue however to quote from any site that makes valid arguments....

Your article has NOTHING to do with this thread....

If the Governor of LA and the Mayor of NO did their jobs from the beginning.....

Maybe the resources could have saved lives here in this parish.

That was the point of this thread.

firstly, you regularly quote from the National Review and the Weekly Standards.

but other than that ... ugh.

well, i tried to explain myself. poverty affects all races, but some more than others. i don't see why that's hard to understand. race matters. only white people think it doesn't.

my post was in response not to your article, but to your commentary running through the article. honestly, i found it border-line offensive.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Screw The White People in Evacuation- Cover your Racist Asses

Irvine511 said:

firstly, you regularly quote from the National Review and the Weekly Standards.

but other than that ... ugh.

well, i tried to explain myself. poverty affects all races, but some more than others. i don't see why that's hard to understand. race matters. only white people think it doesn't.

my post was in response not to your article, but to your commentary running through the article. honestly, i found it border-line offensive.

REGULARLY?

Almost all of my posts have been in this forum... and I guarantee you that if you look at my posts....less than 1% come from there.

If you find my positon, that because of the media, the mayor, Kanye.....and the governor's comments and actions affected the manner in which people received help offensive....nothing I can do about it.

My sarcasm is real anger...

If as I suspect, the national response was directed towards NO when others needed as much as if not more help....because of the cries of racism... I am going to point it out.

Thse people in the Super Dome could have had the aid necessary to stay there longer while other areas received the help they needed. PERIOD.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Screw The White People in Evacuation- Cover your Racist Asses

Dreadsox said:
If you find my positon, that because of the media, the mayor, Kanye.....and the governor's comments and actions affected the manner in which people received help offensive....nothing I can do about it.

My sarcasm is real anger...

i understand how anger breeds sarcasm, and i'm certainly guilty of it, but i do not think that any cries of "racist" directed aid away from white people and towards black people. i also think your anger towards the governor and the mayor (one black and one white), while understandable to a degree, misses many important issues that we've gone over in other threads. however, what mos concerns me, is the fact that no one in your article says race had anything to do with where the aid went. you grafted that onto the story yourself.

why would you do that?

Again...I think the articles are evidence of the point I am making.

There are references to helecopters flying over people to get to NO...

And, yes, I do believe that the "racial pressure" put on by the mayor, kanye, and the media....

combined with the decisions to not send in the Red Cross....

have indeed caused people who could have been rescued, to die, or suffer....

100%....and I think the articles make the case....

Dreadsox said:
And, yes, I do believe that the "racial pressure" put on by the mayor, kanye, and the media....

kanye aside -- i'm pretty sure no one in the administration knows who he is or cares what he says -- do you have examples of this "racial pressure"? and, if so, what does that tell you about the ineptitude of FEMA or perhaps the nervousness of the Bush Administration from a PR perspective about losing whatever small inroads they made with african-americans in 2004? shouldn't you then be more angry with the federal government for caving in to said "racial pressure" instead of doing their job?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Screw The White People in Evacuation- Cover your Racist Asses

Irvine511 said:
i understand how anger breeds sarcasm, and i'm certainly guilty of it, but i do not think that any cries of "racist" directed aid away from white people and towards black people. i also think your anger towards the governor and the mayor (one black and one white), while understandable to a degree, misses many important issues that we've gone over in other threads. however, what mos concerns me, is the fact that no one in your article says race had anything to do with where the aid went. you grafted that onto the story yourself.

why would you do that?

Are you kidding? The world bends and twists when faced with a charge of racism - justified or not. Look at what happens when there is a suggestion of racial profiling - little old ladies get searched to avoid the appearance of profiling.

In the instant case, the loudest voice regarding recovery focused on a protected class, not simply people in need. In our current political state where "you are racist, prove me wrong" carries so much weight, the natural response would be to shift resources for the benefit of the protected class.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Screw The White People in Evacuation- Cover your Racist Asses

nbcrusader said:

Are you kidding? The world bends and twists when faced with a charge of racism - justified or not. Look at what happens when there is a suggestion of racial profiling - little old ladies get searched to avoid the appearance of profiling.

In the instant case, the loudest voice regarding recovery focused on a protected class, not simply people in need. In our current political state where "you are racist, prove me wrong" carries so much weight, the natural response would be to shift resources for the benefit of the protected class.

i really have the problem of the inner-city poor being referred to as a "protected class" but i do understand your point -- this fits into the rubrick of the perception that political correctness (for lack of a better term ... or even a good term) screws over white people.

i also do not see the "you are racist prove me wrong" ethic you speak of -- if anything, i hear crying "race doesn't matter!" when it does.

Irvine511 said:

kanye aside -- i'm pretty sure no one in the administration knows who he is or cares what he says -- do you have examples of this "racial pressure"? and, if so, what does that tell you about the ineptitude of FEMA or perhaps the nervousness of the Bush Administration from a PR perspective about losing whatever small inroads they made with african-americans in 2004? shouldn't you then be more angry with the federal government for caving in to said "racial pressure" instead of doing their job?

You must have missed my post where I said that I am 100% pissed that the Federal Governement did not take over LA.

Bushes father had the courage to take acton when LA rioted.
Kennedy had the courage to do so to help end segregation.

Female Democratic Governor.... Bush caved and it was wrong.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Screw The White People in Evacuation- Cover your Racist Asses

Irvine511 said:
i also do not see the "you are racist prove me wrong" ethic you speak of -- if anything, i hear crying "race doesn't matter!" when it does.

That is exactly the card played by Kanye West. All the blame for the snafus following Katrina was tied to Bush's "racism".

Dreadsox said:

You must have missed my post where I said that I am 100% pissed that the Federal Governement did not take over LA.

Bushes father had the courage to take acton when LA rioted.
Kennedy had the courage to do so to help end segregation.

Female Democratic Governor.... Bush caved and it was wrong.

i think you're demonizing the gov a bit more than she deserves (not that she hasn't fucked up awfully), but that's a fair point of disagreement.

doesn't it seem interesting that the National Guard is there immediately when there are riots in Watts or Compton or Newark or Detroit or when black kids want to go to high school in Alabama, yet they take a week to rescue hurricane victims?

the point of that is to demonstrate how there is a grand *perception* of federal racism that has great historical precedent no matter what the present evidence of it might be. perception, in turn, shades reality.

Irvine511 said:
the point of that is to demonstrate how there is a grand *perception* of federal racism that has great historical precedent no matter what the present evidence of it might be. perception, in turn, shades reality.

The sad thing is that control of the perception translates to political power. If I can maintain the perception that my political opponent is a racist, then my opponent is forced to deal with the perception - not reality.

nbcrusader said:

The sad thing is that control of the perception translates to political power. If I can maintain the perception that my political opponent is a racist, then my opponent is forced to deal with the perception - not reality.

i think that's true, and it applies to all things.

if i can create the perception that my opponant hasn't been entirely honest about his military service, then the opponent has to deal with that.

i

Irvine511 said:

i think you're demonizing the gov a bit more than she deserves (not that she hasn't fucked up awfully), but that's a fair point of disagreement.

doesn't it seem interesting that the National Guard is there immediately when there are riots in Watts or Compton or Newark or Detroit or when black kids want to go to high school in Alabama, yet they take a week to rescue hurricane victims?

It does seem interesting...were they Federalized?

-------------

Please forgive my typos the past 24...I am in migrane hell.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

It does seem interesting...were the Federalized?

i can do some research, but i'm pretty sure that Ike sent in the National Guard, though that might have been at Wallace's request ... let me get back to you

nbcrusader said:
I think we can agree that racism carries more weight than honesty about a resume.

not in the south carolina republican primaries.

also, it would be vastly harder to "prove" racism -- all someone needs is to get a photo-op with a black kid on his lap and that's good enough for many people. i'd also think that the burden of proof, with the racist charge, would be on the accuser.

Irvine511 said:
also, it would be vastly harder to "prove" racism -- all someone needs is to get a photo-op with a black kid on his lap and that's good enough for many people. i'd also think that the burden of proof, with the racist charge, would be on the accuser.

It's the subtle suggestion of racism that kills you.

Irvine511 said:

i can do some research, but i'm pretty sure that Ike sent in the National Guard, though that might have been at Wallace's request ... let me get back to you

No...sorry...I believe they were...

I mean for Katrina...

:wink:

nbcrusader said:

It's the subtle suggestion of racism that kills you.

or that inspires the chorus of "stop playing the race card" which effectively kills suggetsions of racism dead.

Irvine511 said:

or that inspires the chorus of "stop playing the race card" which effectively kills suggetsions of racism dead.

That is true, but I rather think that racism as a charge has lost credibility. It has been used a lot in situations where most could see that race was not a believeable factor. Now it's mostly regarded as a form of slander.

Irvine511 said:

Recent revelations indicate that it was a pre-arranged showdown, coordinated by Wallace and the Eisenhower Administration (although Ike and the Feds had the upper hand). Neither treated this as an imminent, ASAP deployment though.

~U2Alabama

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom