Scientology Fronties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Want to see how scientologists smear their opponents, a little game of neutral sounding front organisations such as the Religious Freedom Watch - now the links are there on the site, but it is not overtly proclaimed in banners only littering the text of the site in reference, this group smears opponents of the Scientologists; writing letters to employers etc.
In late 1994 and early 1995 a few copyright anarchists unlawfully acquired copies of unpublished Church of Scientology scriptures and posted them on the Internet. When they were sued successfully by the copyright holders, these same people embarked on an anti-religious hate campaign utilizing Internet newsgroups, websites and the press.

One result of this campaign has been an increase in acts of harassment and violence perpetrated against Scientologists. Scientology churches have been vandalized and individual Scientologists have been harassed, physically attacked and threatened with death. When oppressive government agencies in France and Germany sought support for their discriminatory policies against minority religions, the same group of people who began this chain of violence traveled to Europe to spread their lies.

Other faiths also have been the targets of anti-religious violence. Extremists in the United States have fire-bombed Baptist churches and have defaced Jewish synagogues.

In Europe, right-wing nationalists have openly attacked members of other faiths and have staged violent hate rallies. And in the East, being a member of a "disfavored" religion has proven to be fatal. The issue affects everyone.

Thus, people of all faiths must unite in common support of not merely members of their own religion, but of all religionists. We must be vigilant in protecting the cherished right to freedom of worship and in exposing the extremists who spread hatred and violence.

Freedom of speech is a fundamental liberty; it is one of the hallmarks of a free society. It is not, however, a license to incite acts of violence through lies. And when it is abused by people whose only intentions are to harm and destroy it is incumbent upon honest citizens to speak out.

This section of the web site exposes the truth about these instigators so that no one else will succumb to their lies.

Listen to the descriptions that are used on their rogues gallery of "Anti-Religious Extremists"
Joe Lynn uses the Internet to forward his anti-religious hate agenda and feed his sexual habits.

Lynn is a former computer programmer who has been largely unemployed for many years. He lives off the charity of others and appears to spend the majority of his time looking for sexual partners via his participation in anti-religious newsgroups and chat rooms.
link

For deprogrammers associated with the former Cult Awareness Network, violence is a way of life. Case in point: Hana and Jerry Whitfield.

Hana Whitfield has a history of mental illness from which she still suffers and for which she receives psychological counseling and drugs. In looking at the facts of her early life it is easy to see why: Whitfield experienced a family background which included sexual deviations, insanity, and an alleged plot by family members to murder her own father.
link

Who is Steven Fishman?

Is he, as he claimed in a resume published in Who's Who in 1989:

- The co-producer of a film entitled "Alchemuenster: Turning Cheese into Gold"?

- The author of six books, co-author of eleven and editor of two?

- A member of the "Trilateral Commission"?

- A "participant in a 1984 joint project for Interoceanic Biodegradable Foodstuffs Symposium at Dnepropetrovsk as Lead expert witness"?

Is he, as he has variously stated, a Scientologist?

No. He was none of these things. If you think these claims sound far fetched, realize they are far milder and more harmless than some of the other fantasies he has indulged in and claimed as fact.

Since Steven Fishman was none of the things he claimed to be, just WHO is he?
That one sounds like a Canadian Liberal attack advertisment

Well when they can't get litigious they get to turn the gears of smear, what a bunch of clowns (ones that abuse the good faith of followers to a severe degree and actively hunt down critics).

Last edited:
It's OK if they want to have web sites, but it's not OK that they're smearing their opponents. Typical Scientology tactics.

Just checkout the tactics against those who break out.

Going over it this stuff I am reminded of a book I read written about growing up in North Korea. The "self criticism" sessions, spying on your friends, labour, medical malpractice and complete denial of information beyond the "Church".

This is why I want nothing to do with religion in politics. Whether it's the Catholic Church or the Christian Coalition or Islam or the Church of Scientology, the best place religion has in society is outside of it. Out there, you can believe whatever you want, no matter how scary or ridiculous it is.

Melon

Scientology is a cult with sort of a mainstream image. They got this image because many Hollywood stars, like Tom Cruise, are members. They claim that they are out to rid society of certaiin evils, including mental illness. They hate psychiatry and anything related to it. The real reason they don't like it is that they don't like competition. It doesn't really have a "God concept". It was founded by a science fiction writer, L. Ron Hubbard, back in the '50's. His son and an associate wrote a book called "L. Ron Hubbard--Genius or Madman" which is none too flattering. In fact, the original cover of the book got censored after the Church of Scientology sued over it. They're a group that's better not to fool with.

Carek1230 said:
In my opinion the "Church of Scientology" or the practice of "Scientology" is not a religion. I believe it is a cult.
Crazy.

It is deemed a religion for tax purposes. Otherwise, it walks, talks and smells like a cult.

nbcrusader said:
It is deemed a religion for tax purposes. Otherwise, it walks, talks and smells like a cult.

My...there are quite a few "religions" that I'd deem to be in this category. I'd say that "tax purposes" is really the only thing that defines "religion" anymore.

Melon

Eh, Scientology is small potatoes compared with the cult of Christianity.

In my opinion, yes. To this outsider it easily appears to be a cult. But Christians think I'm in a cult, too. :shrug:

I guess we should define the word "cult".

Using the following:

NOUN:
a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b. The followers of such a religion or sect.
2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
b. The object of such devotion.
6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

Just about anything could be considered "cult".

If we use the definition of cult as is commonly used and understood in religious studies and more importantly sociology, Christianity does not broadly fit, not even remotely. You can possibly make the argument for some of its sects, but generally speaking, no.

Now if you are using a different definition of cult, then I suppose it's possible.

Since I view the Bible as akin to fairytales (with about as much credibility to me as L. Ron Hubbard's book), and the Pope as a false God, and that people give him power and place him upon a throne with ridiculous clothes (not singling out Catholicism here but it's such an obvious example), all that pomp and circumstance which speaks more of ego and worshiping personalities than genuine spirituality to me, the accusations that you will burn in a firey pit of hell if you don't follow certain beliefs and lifestyles and in some cases, tithe 10% of your earnings to the church, yes it can easily appear that people have been massively brainwashed. To me, that is cultish. But the point is, to an outsider another's faith-based beliefs can appear to be cultish because it's not so easy to understand another's religious beliefs. I frankly don't give a crap that people think my spiritual practice is cultish; that is as absurd an idea to me as the idea that Christianity is cultish may be to a Christian. People just shouldn't be all that concerned with what others believe as long as their beliefs are not impinging on your own rights (which is a problem currently with Christianity in America and religious fundamentalism in general).

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:
Since I view the Bible as akin to fairytales (with about as much credibility to me as L. Ron Hubbard's book), and the Pope as a false God, and that people give him power and place him upon a throne with ridiculous clothes (not singling out Catholicism here but it's such an obvious example), all that pomp and circumstance which speaks more of ego and worshiping personalities than genuine spirituality to me, the accusations that you will burn in a firey pit of hell if you don't follow certain beliefs and lifestyles and in some cases, tithe 10% of your earnings to the church, yes it can easily appear that people have been massively brainwashed. To me, that is cultish. But the point is, to an outsider another's faith-based beliefs can appear to be cultish because it's not so easy to understand another's religious beliefs. I frankly don't give a crap that people think my spiritual practice is cultish; that is as absurd an idea to me as the idea that Christianity is cultish may be to a Christian. People just shouldn't be all that concerned with what others believe as long as their beliefs are not impinging on your own rights (which is a problem currently with Christianity in America and religious fundamentalism in general).

:up:

anitram said:
If we use the definition of cult as is commonly used and understood in religious studies and more importantly sociology, Christianity does not broadly fit, not even remotely. You can possibly make the argument for some of its sects, but generally speaking, no.

:up:

joyfulgirl said:

the Pope as a false God.....

......tithe 10% of your earnings to the church

People just shouldn't be all that concerned with what others believe as long as their beliefs are not impinging on your own rights (which is a problem currently with Christianity in America and religious fundamentalism in general).

I just wanted to shed some light on this: The Pope is not considered a "God", false or otherwise. He is the head of the Catholic Church and when he speaks he is addressing his fellow Catholics.
Non-Catholics seem to want to weigh in on what he is saying even though as you state above, "People just shouldn't be all that concerned with what others believe as long as their beliefs are not impinging on your own rights..."

nbcrusader said:
Scientology is scary at so many levels.

In a pluralistic society, why should other belief system be labeled “scary”?

These people are less of a threat to America than many others that want their beliefs imposed on others.

Intangible entities that oversee everything that exists? I understand the need for it, and respect those who believe, but I will always hold with science over myth.

deep said:

I guess if one doesn't believe in anything, or believes in everything, there is no framework to realize one group or another is scary.

deep said:

These people are less of a threat to America than many others that want their beliefs imposed on others.
Partly when they brainwash people to get them off medication ~ a free society means being allowed to point that out.

Back
Top Bottom