Scared...Nervous...Anxious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scarletwine

New Yorker
I just wanted to say that as the troops surround Bagdad, how anxious I am for their safety and the 4m Iraqi civilians now without power.

Sadaam is a monster and now trapped more dangerous than ever. I pray chem & or bio weapons aren't used.

Also a prolonged seige the military is talking about will further devastate the civilian population. The alternative urban fighting will also cause great loss of life. I saw a former general state approx. 15% loss of troops is very realistic, that it used to be 30%.

Anyway, I don't think there is a best choice.
Ok just needed to air my feeling, nothing to do with pro or anti anything.

Your feelings are shared by many, including me. The war plan from this point is one of the most difficult tasks the Coalition faces.

With the airport seized, I hope they begin to infliltrate the underground tunnel system to flush out Saddam.

I keep hearing military officials on tv talking about a prolonged seige of Baghdad and the devastating impact of this on both the Iraqi civilians and the US/UK troops. It makes me wonder where the people who were promising "this war will be over in three days" and "civilian casualties will be negligible" are now...

The Iraqi Ministry of Information said earlier there will be an "untraditional" attack on U.S. troops tonight. Let's hope the troops are safe as well as the Iraqi civilians.

There have been reports of people leaving Baghdad following the capture of the airport by the Coalition. I just hope many, many civilians can get out of harm's way, not be hurt, and are able to return to Baghdad when all is said and done. Sheesh. I *am* nervous as heck about this.

All this talk of flushing out Saddam and nobody is quite sure if the man himself isn't long dead. What a mess.

Apparently Saddam is alive and well, according to this report:

Saddam appears on TV ambling through streets
By Robert Fisk
05 April 2003

Almost encircled by his American enemies, Saddam Hussein appeared on Iraqi state television last night, ambling through the residential suburbs of Baghdad, surrounded by delighted, cheering supporters, and even kissing a baby.

Dressed in military fatigues, he dandled a child and clenched his fist as his supporters' chants grew.

Earlier yesterday he delivered a televised speech in which he urged Iraqis to fight to the death against the Anglo-American invasion force, because "victory is in reach".

However obdurate and unrealistic his appeal might appear to the armies about to lay siege to the capital, it was vintage Saddam. The Iraqi President ? or a lookalike ? appeared in military uniform and black beret beside an Iraqi flag. Accusing the Americans of fighting by stealth, he told Iraqis they could fight with "whatever weapons they have".

The short speech came only two hours after Iraq's Minister of Information, Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, made an intriguing ? and for the Americans around Baghdad, disturbing ? warning that Iraqis would take "unconventional military action" against the invaders. In answer to a journalist's question, Mr Sahaf denied that he was referring to weapons of mass destruction, insisting only that the operation against the Americans would not be "ordinary".

There were suspicions that Iraq might open dams and floodgates to inundate that area west of the Tigris river, which the Americans have occupied outside Baghdad. The Iraqi army used just such a tactic on the Iranians when they appeared to be about to capture Basra during the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war. Either way, President Saddam's appeal showed clearly the irritation he feels at the hit-and-run operations mounted by US special forces.

"The enemy avoids fighting our forces when they find out that our troops are steadfast and strong. Instead, the enemy drops some troops here and there in small numbers, as we had expected." The phrase "as we expected" suggests that the Iraqis have in fact been taken by surprise by the mobility of the American tactics which have, in effect, erased the very notion of the "front line" upon which Iraqi troops are traditionally taught to fight.

Mr Sahaf made reference to the total power cuts now imposed on the city, claiming US forces had dropped some kind of "fibreglass" over Baghdad's two major power stations ? in fact, the substance is believed to be graphite, which was also dropped near Serbian electricity facilities during the Kosovo war ? which had short-circuited part of the national grid, both in the capital and in the province of Qadisiyah.

His threat of night-time operations against the Americans troops outside Baghdad was clearly something he wanted to publicise. "Tonight you are going to witness some military action which is not ordinary," he said.

"It will not be conventional, and not necessarily carried out by our military ... I am not exposing a secret ? but to destroy these kind of mercenaries, darkness is helpful." Mr Sahaf's optimism seemed almost as boundless as that of his President.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=394170

saddam05.jpg

Sorry I seem to be posting a lot of R Fisk reports lately. Not to worry, I don't read just his stuff.

foray

Last edited:
For what it's worth, even that little photo Foray posted with the article looks a bit dodgy. Doesn't really look like Saddam... too youthful? The man's over 65.

I do agree, good points on both sides, it's not like I know he's dead or anything.

Back
Top Bottom