Say a prayer for Argentina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rafmed

Refugee
This night the situation in Argentina is very bad, there has been riots, protests being disrupted by the police, some people dead, the country is in state of siege, the government resigned, and the economic situation is chaotic, so please, lets pray for Argentina and our friends that live there, Niamh, Drew, Patti, Popbaby, and the rest...I send you a big hug in sign of support and solidarity.
For more information go here: http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/americas/12/19/argentina.riots/index.html

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

I hope Patti is ok, I just send her a e-mail, but she's got more important things to do. Her liberties just have been taking away by this state of siege...

"The one who governs with weapons is surely poor in ideas" - Subcommandante Marcos

cheers

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

?Je suis le dernier homme. Contre tous, je me d?fendrai...?
"I am the last man. Against all, I shall defend myself..."
- 'Rhinoc?ros', Ionesco

"Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.? - Woody Allen

The Government resigns in block... many ministers quit their post. I hope the military won't take the power again, like in '76.

Let's see the IMF's reaction now. Face the people.

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

- 'Rhinoc?ros', Ionesco

"Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.? - Woody Allen

I had the chance to contact Niamh, and Patti last night, they are ok thnk god , same as Drew.
Patti asked me to tell her friends, Holy John, Dostor Gonzo, MrMacphisto, and the rest , that they are ok, and she thanks the support

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

[This message has been edited by rafmed (edited 12-20-2001).]

Originally posted by rafmed:
lets pray for Argentina and our friends that live there, Niamh, Drew, Patti, Popbaby, and the rest...I send you a big hug in sign of support and solidarity.

I?ll pray. I would like to add Pablo aka U2@NYC, I haven?t heard of him lately. I miss him, I hope he?s okay.

Originally posted by Holy John:
I hope the military won't take the power again, like in '76.

So do I. Anyone who has lived under a military regime does not want that anymore. I?m worried with my neighbours, being a southern brazilian I?m pretty close of Argentina, it?s all that we have talked about here lately. It?s a pity all this situation, Argentina is such a beautiful country.

My heart goes out to all of my Argentine friends.
frown.gif

*sigh*

The news just gets worse everytime I look.

[This message has been edited by DoctorGonzo (edited 12-20-2001).]

Any recent news about Patti and all our folks over there ?

I really fear that the military takes the power. The Government resigns in bloc and no one seems to want taking the place, there is no apparent replacement. Perfect situation for military. I fear it a lot cos there is a strong anti-military position by the Students' Organizations in this country.

Whoever may talk to Patti, say I'm with her 500%...

Solidarity with the people of Argentina, solidarity for all the oppressed people in the world. The people, united, will never be defeated.

Cheers

PS : reminds me of may 1968 in France. Also, I heard that its all social classes who were in the streets, not only proletarians, working class people or middle-class.

------------------

- 'Rhinoc?ros', Ionesco

!Hasta la victoria, siempre!

"The one who governs with weapons is clearly poor in ideas". - Subcommandante Marcos

Any reactions from the IMF ???

they will probably say nothing about the society, since they only rely on numbers...

Patti works for Amnesty International...

------------------

- 'Rhinoc?ros', Ionesco

"The one who governs with weapons is clearly poor in ideas". - Subcommandante Marcos

Yeah, my friend was supposed to go there in 10 days for a few weeks for a bit of R & R....I hope if he does he'll be alright (same with his friends he was going to visit)
frown.gif

I cant think clearly, so if it has little sense, please excuse me!

Dear Ppl!

Thanks for ALL!!! Im ok, Drew is OK, I hope Niamh is OK, and the rest of our friends too...
Let me give you some recent information. The city is calm right now, but there is fire all arond, in fact I'm in the office where i work right now and I will spend the nite here 'cos you cant go out to the streets safely. I wont be working tomorrow so I will leave early in the morning.
We have something like 22 dead ppl 'cos of the riots today. Im in shock I couldnt sleep last nite and i dont think i will do it tonite. There has been a riot right in this corner where two ppl died...and some ppl destroyed the supermarket that's under my building. The city is all in fire but luckyly ppl is going home. I couldnt really breath today 'cos of the gases and my eyes and nose hurt...
Where are we going from here? Tomorrow the congress has to accept the pres. resign and they will put Mr Puerta (congres' pres) in its place for _we guess_ 90 days till next elections take place. The good part is that now, whoever is elected knows that he/she has the ppl behind and that we will go out to the streets if they don do the things right. I can see it with a little hope.
That's all by now. Any new will be reported later.
In amnesty we are working as hard as we can, please try to help in your sections 'cos a lot of ppl will keep dying here if the repression doesnt stop. Im scared too of police going against all of us that work in Human Rights and attack our office or something...there hass already bbeen a "witches hunt" already with the Human rights deffender once and we are very scared.
Pray for my country. I know God is up there and will hear even though I cant undestand why all this pain is going 'round.
Pray for peace.
May peace be with you, always. You cant imagine what it is like to live in a REAL chaos.

PS: H_John, dear, did u get my mail?
PS2: Gonzo! We are ok! Drew said "Hi!"
Ps3: Raffie, thanks again.
PS4: THANKS SO MUCH TO ALL OF YOU!

------------------
Patti
-Pride Girl-

*Religion is what happens when the spirit has left the building* U2

Patti, I did receive your e-mail and I will reply to it very very soon.

I heard the President of the Republic reigned as well. I hope the opposition (leading the senate) will be able to find a new one quickly. Do not let the Military going in and get rid of the IMF. For peace and for the people...

Cheers and good luck to you Argentians...

------------------

- 'Rhinoc?ros', Ionesco

Thanks for all your kind words and prayers.
I hope we can find soon a solution for this terrible situation we are going through.

Drew, Patti...Chicas cuidense muchisimo!!!
Les mando un beso grande y espero verlas pronto.

Flavia

Stay safe, Patti, Niamh, U2@NYC (if you're there), Drew, et al.; I hope some peace & stability is in the very near future for Argentina.

If U2@NYC is down there, he must be getting tired of this crap, as he was also in NYC on 9/11.

Merry Christmas.

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by U2Bama:
If U2@NYC is down there, he must be getting tired of this crap, as he was also in NYC on 9/11.

Yes, that?s what I was thinking...I think he?s on vacation, I haven?t seen him online thru AIM the whole month. He might be home, Argentina that is, but I hope he?s travelling somewhere else. I miss him, he?s a good friend and a great guy.

Back
Top Bottom