Savage Beast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Yes I get it, he's a shock jock etc etc. But to make those comments about autism, wow. About defenseless children. I hope he never has to deal with it in his life. I greatl admire all parents who deal with it, I don't know how they do it. I don't think he should be fired, but I do think he should have to volunteer at a school for autistic kids- or care for an autistic child for even one day.

NEW YORK (CBS) ― Conservative radio host Michael Savage will have his hands full on Monday.

In response to his controversial comments about children with autism, Autism United and angry parents will hold a major protest outside WOR Radio studios in Manhattan on Monday afternoon, CBS 2 HD has learned.

They will be calling for the firing of the radio jock and asking for a boycott by parents of children with autism of all stations carrying his signal. Savage outraged the autism community recently by saying 99 percent of children suffering with autism are "brats" and "morons" on his national syndicated radio show.

During the July 16 edition of his show, Savage claimed that autism is "[a] fraud, a racket. ... I'll tell you what autism is. In 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out. That's what autism is. What do you mean they scream and they're silent? They don't have a father around to tell them, 'Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. Don't sit there crying and screaming, idiot.' "

Robbie Schwartzman is a 15-year-old from our area with autism. His father, Martin Schwartzman, says Savage's attack on autism is both irresponsible and despicable.

"I couldn't understand why someone could be so heartless and so insensitive, and also so ignorant for a national talk show host," Martin Schwartzman said.

CBS 2 HD News reached out to Savage's producer, but no one returned our calls or e-mails.

Martin Schwartzman, like many other parents with autistic children, is now calling on radio stations across the country to pull Savage from the air waves.

"It was so hurtful to all individuals with disabilities, particularly those with autism, but I really think he should be removed from the air," Martin Schwartzman said.

Media Matters for America on Sunday condemned Savage for his comments.

"What Michael Savage said was foolish, mean-spirited, and hurtful," said J. Jioni Palmer, spokesman for Media Matters. "It's unfortunate he would use his radio program to make fun of and belittle these kids. Instead of ridicule and cheap shots, the children suffering from autism and asthma and their families need support and compassion."

Talk Radio Network, which syndicates The Savage Nation, claims that Savage is heard on more than 350 radio stations. The Savage Nation reaches at least 8.25 million listeners each week, according to Talkers Magazine, making it one of the most listened-to talk radio shows in the nation, behind only The Rush Limbaugh Show and The Sean Hannity Show.

Over 2 million children and adults have autism. One out of every 150 children is diagnosed with autism today.

I think all conservative talk radio hosts should participate in a season of Survior, winner gets to keep his job, the rest stay on the island.

Maybe combined you'll have one full heart and an IQ of 100, just maybe...

I think all conservative talk radio hosts should participate in a season of Survior, winner gets to keep his job, the rest stay on the island.

Maybe combined you'll have one full heart and an IQ of 100, just maybe...

I think this is a great idea, only I'd suggest each event should be to the death, and then the winner can come back and host his/her show.

The full transcript of the segment, according to Media Matters:
SAVAGE: Now, you want me to tell you my opinion on autism, since I'm not talking about autism? A fraud, a racket. For a long while, we were hearing that every minority child had asthma. Why did they sudden--why was there an asthma epidemic amongst minority children? Because I'll tell you why: The children got extra welfare if they were disabled, and they got extra help in school. It was a money racket. Everyone went in and was told [fake cough], "When the nurse looks at you, you go [fake cough], 'I don't know, the dust got me.' " See, everyone had asthma from the minority community. That was number one.

Now, the illness du jour is autism. You know what autism is? I'll tell you what autism is. In 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out. That's what autism is.

What do you mean they scream and they're silent? They don't have a father around to tell them, "Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. Don't sit there crying and screaming, idiot."

Autism--everybody has an illness. If I behaved like a fool, my father called me a fool. And he said to me, "Don't behave like a fool." The worst thing he said--"Don't behave like a fool. Don't be anybody's dummy. Don't sound like an idiot. Don't act like a girl. Don't cry." That's what I was raised with. That's what you should raise your children with. Stop with the sensitivity training. You're turning your son into a girl, and you're turning your nation into a nation of losers and beaten men. That's why we have the politicians we have.
A bit off-topic, but I'd personally like to smack any father whose idea of disciplining his son is telling him not to act like a "loser", "idiot" "girl". Why not also tell him not to be lazy like a black, greedy like a Jew, and wimpy like an Asian while you're at it, just so he's clear on who he's cut out to be better than in life.

Wow, he's even worse than I thought

I just Googled it and this is what he put on his web site. Yeah right, that sounds just like what he was trying to say

The Autism Controversy

My comments about autism were meant to boldly awaken parents and children to the medical community's attempt to label too many children or adults as "autistic."

Just as some drug companies have overdiagnosed "ADD" and "ADHD" to peddle dangerous speed-like drugs to children as young as 4 years of age, this cartel of doctors and drug companies is now creating a national panic by overdiagnosing "autism, for which there is no definitive medical diagnosis!

Many children are being victimized by being diagnosed with an "illness" which may not exist, in all cases. Just a few weeks ago doctors recommended dangerous anti-cholesterol drugs for children as young as 2 years of age! Without any scientific studies on the possible dangers of such drugs on children, corrupt doctors made this controversial, unscientific recommendation.

Increasingly, our children are being used as profit centers by a greedy, corrupt medical/pharmaceutical establishment. As the brother of a severely disabled person who suffered and died in a New York "snake-pit" of a "mental hospital," I know first-hand what true disability is.

To permit greedy doctors to include children in medical categories which may not be appropriate is a crime against that child and their family. Let the truly autistic be treated. Let the falsely diagnosed be free.

Michael Savage

"I couldn't understand why someone could be so heartless and so insensitive, and also so ignorant for a national talk show host," Martin Schwartzman said.

Welcome to the world of conservative talk radio, Mr. Schwartzman. Heartless, insensitive, and ignorant is par for the course.

The full transcript of the segment, according to Media Matters:

A bit off-topic, but I'd personally like to smack any father whose idea of disciplining his son is telling him not to act like a "loser", "idiot" "girl". Why not also tell him not to be lazy like a black, greedy like a Jew, and wimpy like an Asian while you're at it, just so he's clear on who he's cut out to be better than in life.

For real!

There are so many things that are just WRONG in what he said, apart from the statements about autism--the tacit endorsement of verbal abuse, the term "girl" as an insult, the idea that crying makes you weak--all of it says so much about the way this guy thinks. Sad.

For real!

There are so many things that are just WRONG in what he said, apart from the statements about autism--the tacit endorsement of verbal abuse, the term "girl" as an insult, the idea that crying makes you weak--all of it says so much about the way this guy thinks. Sad.

What is even sadder that this guy actually has enough people listening to him to keep his radio show on the air. It's not just one guy thinking this way. He has a bunch of people who actually agree with his worldview.

What is even sadder that this guy actually has enough people listening to him to keep his radio show on the air. It's not just one guy thinking this way. He has a bunch of people who actually agree with his worldview.

This is so true. This is what is really sad. I'm in my car most of the work day, so I listen to a lot of radio, I often check out the conservative talk radio for entertainment value and to "know the enemy". The Rush, Beck, Savage, etc are all pretty scary, but what's even more scary are the listeners. Rush and the like are paid to have these opinions, some of which I really believe they exagerate in order to have a show. But the folks that call in, the hardcore followers, these are some of the scariest people in this country.

This is so true. This is what is really sad. I'm in my car most of the work day, so I listen to a lot of radio, I often check out the conservative talk radio for entertainment value and to "know the enemy". The Rush, Beck, Savage, etc are all pretty scary, but what's even more scary are the listeners. Rush and the like are paid to have these opinions, some of which I really believe they exagerate in order to have a show. But the folks that call in, the hardcore followers, these are some of the scariest people in this country.

And some of those scary people are my relatives - including my own father. He used to be a somewhat old-fashioned and conservative but generally tolerant guy, but ever since he started listening to Rush back in the early 1990s I simply cannot discuss anything remotely related to current events with him. It's just too painful to hear this otherwise intelligent, loving person who raised me parrot that jackass. That's one reason why I can't listen to Rush and his ilk even for entertainment value.

I do like to think that my father would at least find Savage to be out of line. Savage is even scarier than Limbaugh.

Back
Top Bottom