Sarah Palin resigns as Governor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What am I missing, then? You don't think he's told his kids not to do drugs? But darn it, they went out and did drugs anyways. How is that different from the Palin scenario?

And for Biden's record on drug issues: Joe Biden on Drugs

Good Lord, I don't care about the "AM guys!" Were YOU all over it? Were YOU attacking her and her father in the wake of the story and for the following months? No. You weren't.

I have to jump in here. I don't care how the Palins choose to raise their kids and their values on sex, but I don't want her in any position to affect government policy on such things. I already live in a state (GA) that has "sex ed" in school that pushes the abstinence only agenda and won't allow for discussion of birth control in an honest way.

And she DID choose to put her children in the spotlight, seemingly without caring about the price her kids would pay for it. And for this people act like she's mother of the year or something? Not in my book.

I do think you've got the wrong end of the stick on this one, financeguy. I mean, I won't say all the treatment meted out to Ms Palin is wonderful (unlikely it would be), but her politics are not far removed as far as I can tell from the departed Bush crowd (whom you loathe). If anything they are more extreme.

I love how this particular family touches so many raw nerves.

And for the record, teen parents who themselves exploit their status through ongoing publicity and profit (playgirl!) are now fair game.

Teaching abstinence as a (or perhaps the most) responsible choice is a good thing. In the absence of well-rounded fertility, contraception and STD education, it's incredibly irresponsible.

David Letterman has jumped the shark.

I don't see what there is to complain about. Palin has willingly thrown herself out there in the entertainment circuit. Isn't she in the works to get her own television show? She wants to be an entertainer first and foremost. Why else quit governing Alaska without any sort of prior notice?

She is the political world's "Jon and Kate + 8"

what everyone misses is that Palin's family and her gender were trotted out as her qualifications. the female factor was to try to lure the PUMA's, and her expansive family, her DS baby ... all this was supposed to make her the walking embodiment of the pro-life movement to increase McCain's credibility with a base that has long loathed him.

*that's* why Ms. Palin has been so mocked, because she trots out her (admittedly very good looking) family as proof of her qualifications. were she able to back it up with any sort of knowledge of politics, history, economics, etc., or if she had been able to at least fake it during her hyper-controlled "roll out," she might have more credibility.

but she wasn't able to do any of this. the base loves her because she drives people like me crazy. and the reason why she drives me crazy is because not only is she flat-out ignorant, but she thinks that ignorance is something to be celebrated, and she perpetuates the myth that Johnny-Can-Do may not have much book learnin', but gosh darn it, he's got common sense.

Obama was mocked for being a celebrity. but it's Palin who's the reality TV star.

and i'm totally watching the Oprah thing. to me, at this point, she's just high camp.

what everyone misses is that Palin's family and her gender were trotted out as her qualifications.

Wrong. Not one instance can I recall of a conservative being asked about Palin's record or qualifications, and their response being "She's a woman! And a mother of five, to boot!" Refresh my memory.

Wrong. Not one instance can I recall of a conservative being asked about Palin's record or qualifications, and their response being "She's a woman! And a mother of five, to boot!" Refresh my memory.

is your life always lived so literally?

I wouldn't phrase it as "trotted out as her qualifications" (though I too suspect you're deliberately taking Irvine more literally than he intended), but can you name any other candidate for VP or President who's referred that frequently to themselves as a "mom"/"dad," and talked about their family that often, on the campaign trail? Can you imagine a male VP candidate, in his debut national TV address, joking about how you "gotta love the soccer dads" like him? Yes, any VP/Pres candidate will allude to their family occasionally in order to shore up their 'regular guy/gal' cred, pose for Newsweek with their kids etc., but only a female politician playing to a socially conservative audience can get away with taking it that far, because in reality it's completely irrelevant to one's qualifications for that office, and if it were a man branding himself that way, that same audience would realize it and judge him accordingly.

This doesn't by itself make her unqualified; in theory, you could have the most stellar credentials imaginable and still fall back on this kind of smarmy pap to market yourself. But it's infantilizing to both the audience and the speaker, and that kind of dumbing down is the last thing American politics needs more of.

can you name any other candidate for VP or President who's referred that frequently to themselves as a "mom"/"dad," and talked about their family that often, on the campaign trail? It's completely irrelevant to one's qualifications for that office, and if it were a man branding himself that way, that same audience would realize it and judge him accordingly.

I don't see anything wrong with talking about her family. I can't even recall what Palin actually said about her family, other than that Todd is a snow machine racer, her son is in Iraq, and Trig has DS. And I'm pretty sure she probably only said all that stuff because no one had idea who this family was and she was introducing them. Is that what you're (generic "you", not you, yolland) talking about? To me, that's not much to get worked up over.

Emphasizing your sex is no different than emphasizing your race, which Obama employed during the campaign. Are you (generic "you") saying there's something wrong with making a point that you're a woman and saying something like this?--

"By choosing a woman to run for our nation's second highest office, you sent a powerful signal to all Americans. There are no doors we cannot unlock. We will place no limits on achievement. If we can do this, we can do anything."

That's a bad thing to say? :scratch:

Like Yolland said, she was THE dumbing down of the office. In every way. She tried to use that "soccer mom" "I'm just like you" "don't read no fancy newspapers" charm as a selling point, and it's not what we want in a VP. Every politician talks about their family but not as a qualifier :huh: I can see how she might appeal to the home schooling crowd, but anyone else? I just don't get.

And then when you got past that packaging and realized how much of a contradiction she was, how uninformed she was, etc it just made her scary.

Emphasizing your sex is no different than emphasizing your race, which Obama employed during the campaign.

Hold the phone! Since when did Obama tout his race around? Since when did his team tout his race around? Not once did Obama get on a podium and declared how much of a proud black man he is. He never addressed race until after he secured the election. :huh:

It was the media and the public that consistently brought up his race and how much of a "challenge" it was going to be for him.

What exactly does this have to do with gender? No one is talking about Palin limiting herself as a woman. Did you read yolland's post at all? If this all came from a man, he'd be putting himself under the magnifying glass just as much as Palin did.
Were jabs not taken at Biden for his "2 hour nightly train ride to meet his kids for dinner" spiel which he consistently repeated with gusto?

for the sake of accuracy, Palin did not say that being a soccer mom was a qualification.

she said that being a hockey mom was.

Gee I like and admire her career as a governor and her balance of that with being a Mom, especially of a beautiful boy with Down's Syndrome. I don't agree with most of her political views and philosophies but I can still find things to admire about her. But I don't think she's qualified to be a VP or President, and that's based solely on what I have seen and heard that has come from HER OWN MOUTH in her own voice. It has zero to do with anything else. If that makes me a "liberal feminist" then I'm happy to be one. Women can actually make intelligent assessments about another woman's qualifications that have zero to do with feminism or other supposedly related issues.

"By choosing a woman to run for our nation's second highest office, you sent a powerful signal to all Americans. There are no doors we cannot unlock. We will place no limits on achievement. If we can do this, we can do anything."

You do know she wasn't the first, though, right?

Or was that yet another history class you slept through?

You do know she wasn't the first, though, right?

Or was that yet another history class you slept through?

*sigh* martha...

Yes, I'm aware that Sarah Palin wasn't the first. In fact, that quote I posted isn't from Palin, but from Ferraro, that I used to make a point.

So next time, please don't insult my intelligence and jump to conclusions, because now you just look foolish.

Indeed.

I'm not sure what point you were making, however.

Palin is a stupid person. She's proud of that; she uses it to rally her base of stupid people. Neither of those things is anything to encourage. Yet many conservatives continue to do so.

My dislike of her has nothing to do with her gender and everything to do with her stupidity and her willingness to cash in on it rather than try to remedy it.

politico.com

Palin: Dems will apply abortion mind-set to elderly

By: Jonathan Martin
November 7, 2009 12:02 PM EST

WEST ALLIS, Wis. – Sarah Palin rallied thousands of abortion opponents Friday night with a a stark warning that the same philosophy that allows abortion rights could soon be invoked to allow the government to cut off health care for the elderly or children with special needs.

Speaking to a fund-raising banquet of Wisconsin Right to Life, the former Alaska governor and 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee asserted that if policy-makers don’t believe a child in the womb is valuable, then “perhaps the same mind-set applies to other persons.”

“What may they feel about an elderly person who doesn’t have a whole lot of productive years left,” Palin asked an audience of about 5,000 who paid $30 each to hear her speak in an airplane hangar-like exhibition hall at the Wisconsin state fairgrounds just outside of Milwaukee. “In order to save government money, government health care has to be rationed… [so] than this elderly person that perhaps could be seen as costing taxpayers to pay for a non-productive life? Do you think our elderly will be first in line for limited health care?

“And what about the child who perhaps isn’t deemed normal or perfect per someone’s subjective measure of their use or questionable purpose in the eyes of a panel of bureaucrats making our health care decisions for us,” she continued.

Palin did not expressly raise the prospect of government-mandated “death panels” to determine who lives or dies – the incendiary and inaccurate charge she made over the summer about Democratic health care plans—but repeatedly suggested that liberal social policies could lead to de facto euthanasia.

Her warning was couched in repeated rhetorical questions about what might happen when laws are made by those she portrayed as having an insufficient appreciation for the sanctity of all human life.
“We have to think this through,” she said. “We have to get to the truth of this matter, health care reform.”
The fund-raiser was advertised as closed to media coverage, but at least three reporters, including one from POLITICO, attended simply by purchasing a ticket like other members of the public.

Palin has made few public appearances since resigning as governor in July, sequestering herself to write a much-anticipated book coming out later this month. But a year after the election that made her a global celebrity, her star has dimmed little with those same conservative activists who thronged her campaign rallies in this and other states.

The event made clear that for her ardent supporters she remains more phenomenon than traditional politician.

The line to get into the venue here stretched over a half-mile outside the building and a local conservative talk radio station even marked the event by printing t-shirts that welcomed her to the city, noted the date of her appearance and deemed her: “America’s Conservative Conscience.” The anti-abortion group that hosted the event sought to raise money by including pledge cards on every chair that included an offer to become part of “Sarah’s Rogues” by giving $1,000 to the group in exchange for an autographed copy of her forthcoming memoir, “Going Rogue: An American Life.

The event and the enthusiastic response were a vivid reminder of the following she commands. But her remarks also illuminated the mix of assets and limitations she would possess if she seeks to become a 2012 presidential contender.

Palin had remarks prepared but frequently wandered off-script to make a point, offering audience members a casual “awesome” or “bogus” in discussing otherwise weighty topics.

As in: “It is so bogus that society is sending a message right now and has been for probably the last 40 years that a woman isn’t strong enough or smart enough to be able to pursue an education, a career and her rights and still let her baby live.”

Other Palin touchstones included: praise for the military, jeers for the “the liberal media” and a general manner of speaking that often veered into rhetorical culs-de-sac.

While she drew applause during her remarks, Palin’s extemporaneous and frequently discursive style was such that she never truly roused a true-believing crowd as passionate about the issue at hand as she. Not once during her address did they rise to their feet.

In a closing exhortation, she urged the audience, “Don't ever let anyone to tell you to sit down and shut up.”

She then got a standing ovation from most of the crowd, but a few had begun to leave before she even finished and within seconds of her concluding, scores more got up and put on their jackets as they walked away.

In addition to the suggestion that government officials would consider hastening the death of the infirm or handicapped, she began her remarks with a puzzling commentary on the design of newly minted dollar coins.

Noting that there had been a lot of “change” of late, Palin recalled a recent conversation with a friend about how the phrase “In God We Trust” had been moved to the edge of the new coins.

“Who calls a shot like that?” she demanded. “Who makes a decision like that?”

She added: “It’s a disturbing trend.”

Unsaid but implied was that the new Democratic White House was behind such a move to secularize the nation’s currency.

But the new coins – concerns over which apparently stemmed from an email chain letter widely circulated among conservatives – were commissioned by the Republican-led Congress in 2005 and approved by President Bush.

Palin also offered flashes of the traits that endear her to many conservatives. Offering great personal detail, she relayed the story of how she came to find out that her infant son, Trigg, had Down Syndrome. She confessed to being scared and said that she and her husband, Todd, turned to God to prepare them.

After years of advocating against abortion in theory – what she called “preaching to the choir” – Palin said she was presented with the stark reality of what to do with a special-needs baby.

“I am thankful to have been asked to walk the walk,” she said.

Palin also included a few less personal, but as compelling, flourishes in her remarks, citing Pope John Paul II (never a bad idea in a heavily-Catholic part of the country), referring to scripture (John 16:13) and noting that such feminist pioneers as Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton had opposed abortion (she called them “foremothers”).

She also demonstrated a politician’s ability to connect with a local crowd, relating that her grandmother was born in Chippewa Falls, her dad had played high school football with Packers great Jerry Kramer and, with an audience that likely watched a lot of Fox News, noted her relationship with the network’s talk show, Wisconsin native Greta Van Susteren.

Further, Palin talked with ease about the abortion issue, touting polling this year that showed a majority of the country opposing the procedure, recalling successful ad campaigns (“Choose Life”) on the issue and casting her own opposition to it in terms familiar to the movement.

Palin didn’t mention President Obama by name, but did take a shot at him for opposing an abortion-related measure as an Illinois state senator and more than once mocked his catch phrase.

"Let's talk about change we can believe in," Palin said. "Friends, a majority of Americans identify as pro life, and thank God for that."

She reserved her toughest critique for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, eliciting boos from the crowd at the mention of the speaker’s name. Palin urged Pelosi to allow House members to vote on an amendment that would bar any taxpayer funds from being used to fund abortion.

“We need to make sure she hears the message that she will held accountable if she does not let this at least come to a vote of her colleagues so they can have their voice be heard,” Palin said.

After she concluded her remarks – and presented the organization with an over-sized, $1,000 check – Palin signed autographs for some of the few hundred people who surged toward the dais.

Alissa Maerzke, 12 and wearing a “Palin 2012” t-shirt, was elated that she got the former governor’s signature.

After collecting a congratulatory hug from her mom, Maerzke recounted that she asked Palin if she was going to run for president. “She just smiled,” said the girl.

In the line on the way into the event, a gentleman wearing a Harley-Davidson fleece pull-over and jeans joked to his friends that he was going to ask Palin to marry him, summing up his devotion this way: “She thinks like I do, she’s absolutely gorgeous and Democrats are afraid of her – what’s not to like?”

I will never understand why religious people are hellbent on having God printed all over money. Do they not understand where money goes? What money does? The cliche rings true, you know. Money does just happen to be the root of all evil.

Can we get a mole to one of these religious protest groups and start a "Get my God off your money" campaign? I'd like that better.

Edit: lol, my location. yeah, gimme evil, please.

Maybe this is mean, but i don't really care.

I get the feeling that i would be a much better person if i had never known Sarah Palin existed. I think a lot of us would be too.

I wish she'd go away, and I honestly don't care how.

Maybe this is mean, but i don't really care.

I get the feeling that i would be a much better person if i had never known Sarah Palin existed. I think a lot of us would be too.

I wish she'd go away, and I honestly don't care how.

But she's gorgeous and Democrats are afraid of her

and the GOP base loves her because the "elites" think she's the second coming of the Know-Nothings.

the more Sarah draws aghast responses at her insane comments from the non-GOP base, the more they love her.

How did she make it in politics? I just don't understand it.

I mean, yeah, she's got a great pair of tits, but no matter how great, those don't usually influence my decision on who to vote for.

unless it's a tits contest :)

But seriously, she has never shown me one ounce of intelligence or even basic communication skills to prove she earned her place.

How did she make it in politics? I just don't understand it.

she was elected governor of Alaska -- a state of roughly 650,000 people, which is less than the population of Washington DC (and we know what kind of mayors DC has had).

John McCain then chose her as his running mate, gambling that he needed to do something to shake up his anemic campaign. her being a very attractive female helped, as did her attractive family. but it seems that her most notable accomplishment was that she gave birth to a Down's Syndrome baby, thus making her the embodiment of the anti-abortion GOP base. (of course, she had an amnio, which put her baby at a small but reasonable risk, but then, why did she want the amnio, and why would any anti-abortion activist want an amnio?)

what also appeals about Sarah is her apparent rough-and-tumble, no-nonsense, anti-intellectual, anti-meritocratic lifestyle. much of this has been fabricated, she's not nearly as outdoorsy as she appears, but there's been a huge myth that's grown up around her as some sort of common sense princess of the North who shoots straight and calls 'em as she sees 'em.

of course, non of her appeal has anything to do with accomplishment or experience in any sort of meaningful context, nor does it have to do with a demonstrated grasp of complex issue. the campaign revealed her to be shockingly uninformed on most major issues, yet her lack of knowledge only increased her appeal to the GOP base. this was the smarty-pants elite -- Katie Couric, Charlie Gibson -- beating up on a woman who was just like them, or who they thought was just like them.

truth be told, for conservatives, i think that most women want to be her, and most men want to have sex with her (you know, the movie star formula, only with the genders reversed this time), and most campaign managers understand the enormous appeal of her fabricated lifestyle.

it's funny how McCain mocked Obama for being a celebrity, and then turned around and invented one for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom