Sarah Palin resigns as Governor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. And the best way to comment on hypocrisy about Sara Palin was to essentially celebrate Michael Jackson's death in response to a Michael Jackson fan.

I see.

Dieman, don't you remember that time when MJ was a governor, and he quit halfway through his term? It's practically the same thing.

:wink:

Where did I make any judgments on Sarah Palin's character, which is essentially, what you (financeguy) are doing to Michael Jackson? This might shock you, but I'm an intelligent person. I pay attention to what's going on the world. Even though I disagree with her on everything and feel she lacks the qualifications for any major political office, I've payed attention to the things she's said or done for the simple fact that for a short time, it was necessary. She could have become the vice president of the United States. From the moment she opened her mouth last August, it was clear to me she was lacking the intellect necessary for the job she claimed she wanted. She made many foolish choices throughout the campaign that led to her ticket losing the election and her choices in recent months (i.e. the Letterman overreaction) have shown most people she's simply not cut out for politics on a national level. I didn't say she's a horrible, evil person, just that she's about as qualified to be president as the average, mostly uninformed American. Your comparisons make about as much sense as Limbaugh's assertion that President Obama was at fault for Sanford's affair.

Where did I make any judgments on Sarah Palin's character, which is essentially, what you (financeguy) are doing to Michael Jackson? This might shock you, but I'm an intelligent person. I pay attention to what's going on the world. Even though I disagree with her on everything and feel she lacks the qualifications for any major political office, I've payed attention to the things she's said or done for the simple fact that for a short time, it was necessary. She could have become the vice president of the United States. From the moment she opened her mouth last August, it was clear to me she was lacking the intellect necessary for the job she claimed she wanted. She made many foolish choices throughout the campaign that led to her ticket losing the election and her choices in recent months (i.e. the Letterman overreaction) have shown most people she's simply not cut out for politics on a national level. I didn't say she's a horrible, evil person, just that she's about as qualified to be president as the average, mostly uninformed American. Your comparisons make about as much sense as Limbaugh's assertion that President Obama was at fault for Sanford's affair.

Look, I'm just just asking for a more balanced judgement as regards the life and times of Michael Jackson. I don't mean to offend anyone, so apologies if I did offend you.

Jacko touched us all in our special place, so it's important to remember how he touched us and all the young people. (I'm joking!!!)

His talent and music was brilliant, but having a conversation about Jackson while ignoring bad stuff he might have done makes about as much sense as having a debate about Sarah Palin but only permitting conservative views re Sarah Palin, is all I'm saying.

Back to the thread topic...

I really have no idea what to make of this right now. But the way she framed her decision in her announcement seemed to me risky at best. Essentially, the message seemed to be, "I don't want to be just another lame duck governor milking state funds for unnecessary junkets around the country, or defense against spurious political criticisms, so I'm going to keep my eyes on the prize and do all of you a favor by resigning." That's quite an eyebrow-raiser, especially coming from a (presumed) Presidential hopeful who was still 17 months away from completing her very first term in a state-level office.

I don't think Sanford makes a good comparison here because his political future is shot whether he likes it or not, so for him, the only consideration is how he wants to go out.

Back to the thread topic...

I really have no idea what to make of this right now. But the way she framed her decision in her announcement seemed to me risky at best. Essentially, the message seemed to be, "I don't want to be just another lame duck governor milking state funds for unnecessary junkets around the country, or defense against spurious political criticisms, so I'm going to keep my eyes on the prize and do all of you a favor by resigning." That's quite an eyebrow-raiser, especially coming from a (presumed) Presidential hopeful who was still 17 months away from completing her very first term in a state-level office.

Exactly, and by that very reasoning, every governor who sees out their final term is doing their constituents a disservice, and that's simply not true.

By and large, most of the commentary I've seen today seems to fall on the side of this being a very bad decision, if it was done for political reasons, with a view to 2012. Even Republican pundits have said so. In light of that though, I've read over and over again (most recently in the article I posted in this thread) that she surrounds herself with unreliable advisors who continually give her damaging advice.

There's a new Vanity Fair article on her that's not too flattering:

Todd S. Purdum on Sarah Palin | vanityfair.com

A sampling:

— "One longtime McCain friend and frequent companion on the trail was heard to refer to Palin as 'Little Shop of Horrors.'"

— "Some top aides worried about her mental state: was it possible that she was experiencing postpartum depression?"

— "Several told me, independently of one another, that they had consulted the definition of 'narcissistic personality disorder' in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders — 'a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy' — and thought it fit her perfectly.

She's also complaining about legal bills of $500,000. Yikes!

She mentions "helping outside government." That doesn't sound like a presidential nomination, unless she's "bat shit crazy." :wink:

I would go with her statements on national TV that can and will be verified.

Or we could just go with gut feelings and our bias because she is yucky, and you know, she is like a slutty stewardess.

I came across this earlier:

Ethics complaints filed against Palin: Gov. Sarah Palin | adn.com

So, she was technically cleared in 15 of them, but there are still 3 pending. Some of the complaints do seem awfully nitpicky, but others do not. And of the 15 she was cleared of, in the one regarding travel expenses for her children, there was no wrongdoing found, but she had to repay $10,000 to the state for the expenses. In another one, the major "troopergate" scandal from last fall, if you remember, a committee was formed to look into allegations and to come to a decision. Then out of nowhere, Palin filed ethics charges against herself, so that the state personnel board (who are essentially her employees - Alaska, unlike other states, does not have an independent board to study ethics complaints. Every complaint that says it was cleared by the personnel board falls under this category) could investigate. The original committee did find that there was a breach of ethics, but - surprise - the state personnel board didn't.

The moral of all this? Always verify what comes out of her mouth, even those things that are "easily verifiable," because she has a proven penchant for twisting the truth.

I'd like to see more evidence before I even come close to believing this, but there are rumours out there from several sources that state that a criminal indictment against Palin is pending authorization, relating to the Palin house being built by the same contractors who built the sports complex in Wasilla while she was mayor. It'll be interesting to see if this happens or not. These same Alaskan bloggers seemed to be very reliable when reporting information last fall, scooping mainstream media several times. On the other hand, if she truly has left politics with no plans to run in 2012, I think it's one of the most self aware decisions she's ever made, and I'll give credit where credit is due.

Good Riddance. The rest of the world was laughing at America for having a state that would elect such a moron to the position of Governor.

And if she does run in 2012, the world will be happy because it will mean the Republicans won't be in power. Horrid woman with horrid "values".

Good Riddance. The rest of the world was laughing at America for having a state that would elect such a moron to the position of Governor.

Change the last word to President, and that is how the world currently feels about us.

And if she does run in 2012, the world will be happy because it will mean the Republicans won't be in power. Horrid woman with horrid "values".

Keep it up. I have no doubt that if she were to get the nomination she would beat Obama. The hardest part will be getting the nomination, but if she does, it's over. I'm convinced. And what are these "values" that are so "horrid?" And how is she "horrid?" Seems like you're being a bit unfair just because you disagree with her on issues...

Change the last word to President, and that is how the world currently feels about us.

Keep it up. I have no doubt that if she were to get the nomination she would beat Obama. The hardest part will be getting the nomination, but if she does, it's over. I'm convinced. And what are these "values" that are so "horrid?" And how is she "horrid?" Seems like you're being a bit unfair just because you disagree with her on issues...

She kills animals for fun. FAIL

She kills animals for fun. FAIL

So I take it you believe anyone who hunts, Democrats included, should never be in any position of political power. Thanks for clearing that up. :up:

peta-obama-fly.jpg

Keep it up. I have no doubt that if she were to get the nomination she would beat Obama.

So you still haven't stepped outside of Rush's show to get any real information, eh? Just sad someone of your age can be this misinformed.

No, that's how the world used to feel about you when Bush was in power. I know this may come as a shock, but the (Western) world is actually quite fond of Obama.

there are several world leaders who are dismayed with Obama.

he makes it much, much harder to mindlessly demonize the United States for every possible problem in the world. and thus, regimes across the globe are sweating as their people realize that the Great Satan isn't the US, but it is their own leaders.

there are several world leaders who are dismayed with Obama.

he makes it much, much harder to mindlessly demonize the United States for every possible problem in the world. and thus, regimes across the globe are sweating as their people realize that the Great Satan isn't the US, but it is their own leaders.

The Iranians protesting the June "elections" did not suddenly realize that "the Great Satan isn't the US, but it is their own leaders", because of Obama. Opposition to the Iranian regime among the population is not something new.

Obama has adopted Bush administration policy in Iraq, Afghanistan, and with, perhaps, the exception of a couple of speeches, Iran as well. That is the reality regardless of what other countries perceptions may be.

Maybe it's just as easy as these countries, in the Middle East or in Europe or elsewhere outside of the U.S., just don't feel insulted by Obama's intelligence and/or rhettoric.

Bush always sounded like he was talking to a bunch of 5th graders at a school in Midland, Texas. I don't mean just in terms of articulation, I mean in terms of having a curiosity and insight into the world outside of John Wayne movies.

Sting is essentially right about the current foreign policy but an important point that he wouldn't readily offer is that of, preemptive invasion and occupation. When we see Obama follow suit, then we can color them the same. But the point is there, Obama is doing the smart things, to the detriment of the haters and the Leftist loons.

Blatantly false statements like this don't help your credibility any.

It's true, Europe and many Muslim states loved the President's global apology tour. But...

China doesn't much care for the way Obama is printing dollar bills. It's hard to imagine that Israel is thrilled with Obama. Iranian leadership is defiant, and I think the North Koreans could care less who is president.

The states who have given America trouble in the past, continue to give us trouble.

China doesn't much care for the way Obama is printing dollar bills. It's hard to imagine that Israel is thrilled with Obama. Iranian leadership is defiant, and I think the North Koreans could care less who is president.

The states who have given America trouble in the past, continue to give us trouble.

I'm aware of that, and I agree. As you mentioned though, those nations for the most part are so ideologically opposed to the US that it wouldn't matter who was president. But to make a blanket statement that the rest of the world has negative feelings toward Obama when he's gone far in regaining goodwill toward the US in a great deal of the world is just ludicrous.

Sting is essentially right about the current foreign policy but an important point that he wouldn't readily offer is that of, preemptive invasion and occupation. When we see Obama follow suit, then we can color them the same. But the point is there, Obama is doing the smart things, to the detriment of the haters and the Leftist loons.

Remember, once upon a time, January 2007 to be exact, Obama was for the complete withdrawal of all US combat brigades from Iraq by March 31, 2008, essentially the direct opposite of the Bush administration Surge policy in Iraq which led to a 33% increase in combat brigades on the ground in Iraq.

Since coming into office on January 20, 2009, when it comes to the occupation of two different countries, Obama has been right in line with George Bush and adopted essentially the same plans for both countries.

I've not seen Obama anywhere, since becoming President, stating he would never launch any preventive, preemptive, invasions or strikes against countries or groups that threatened the United States, its Allies or its interest. Not only would that be a deviation from Bush administration policy, but it would deviat from the general policy of all US Presidents since World War II.

But to make a blanket statement that the rest of the world has negative feelings toward Obama when he's gone far in regaining goodwill toward the US in a great deal of the world is just ludicrous.

Agree.

Anyway, I'm glad Governor Palin won't ever be dealing with these issues.

Cut and run ???

I was wondering if a thread about this would be up, and surprise, surprise there is one.

The speculating reminds me of all the Sarah haters who came in agreeing with the Daily Kos that Sarah's baby was her daughters, spewing and repeating all kinds of untruthful and unsubstaniating hateful rumours-and never apologizing for them.

It's too bad many do not learn from their past mistakes.

<>

:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom