Sarah Palin resigns as Governor - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #61
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
I was wondering if a thread about this would be up, and surprise, surprise there is one.

The speculating reminds me of all the Sarah haters who came in agreeing with the Daily Kos that Sarah's baby was her daughters, spewing and repeating all kinds of untruthful and unsubstaniating hateful rumours-and never apologizing for them.

It's too bad many do not learn from their past mistakes.

<>

Hey kettle...

How do you defend this move? If she were to run for pres, how do you defend her being a quitter?
__________________

BVS is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Wow.
I think that was about the time you stated The Daily Kos had as much or more credibility than Fox News, but I could be mistaken and it was somebody else.

Regardless of whoever it was, at that point, I knew the discussion of Sarah Palin, and politics in general was futile in FYM.

This is why I rarely post here.




<>
__________________

diamond is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #63
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,663
Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
I think that was about the time you stated The Daily Kos had as much or more credibility than Fox News, but I could be mistaken and it was somebody else.
You are mistaken.
Diemen is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
You are mistaken.
Correct, you stated The Daily Kos had more credibility than a certain YouTube.Com video clip.

Context is always important.

The YouTube.Com clip had to do with posting of Barrack's original live birth certificate. A "duplicate birth certificate" of Barrack Obama's was posted instead by the Daily Kos, instead of producing his "live birth certificate" which Obama could have done, because the hospital has it. All hospitals are required to keep them on record. If he wanted to, Barrack could but have obtained that copy of his live birth certificate and posted it- but has chosen not to for whatever reason.

The Daily Kos represented the "dupe" as authentic proof when it wasn't (it's a copy only- different in details from live birth certificates)-and that was the point I was trying to make at the time. Many erroneosly salivated as this being "authentic proof" thanks to the Daily Kos when it fact it wasn't. It was posted to pacify the masses, people gobbled it up here as "proof". Obama has never been compelled to post his live birth certificate legally-and hasn't volunteered it as either, for what ever reason, and one can draw their own conclusions about that.

Happy 4th of July.

<>

diamond is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #65
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:35 AM
Here's the thing, Diamond:

The whole thing is complete bullshit pulled out of thin air by desperate conservatives to try to distract from real issues. If this same thing was happening, but was with John McCain, you would have said it was "complete bullshit made up by liberals sweating now that Palin has been nominated" or something like that. And you won't admit it when you reply to this post, but that's the truth, and most reasonable people on FYM would agree with what I'm saying.

Pretty much every conservative who has posted in this thread so far has the blinders on completely. The world thinks Obama's a moron? C'mon, 2816, you're smarter than that. That's total bullshit and you know it. You won't admit it, but you know it.
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Here's the thing, Diamond:

The whole thing is complete bullshit pulled out of thin air by desperate conservatives to try to distract from real issues. If this same thing was happening, but was with John McCain, you would have said it was "complete bullshit made up by liberals sweating now that Palin has been nominated" or something like that. And you won't admit it when you reply to this post, but that's the truth, and most reasonable people on FYM would agree with what I'm saying.

.
Youre wrong in both areas re McCain and Obama.

It was tried on McCain, but that McCain was born in Panama and his dad was stationed there at the time it was legal.

The 2nd issue about Obama's birth certificate was filed by a Democrat, a Hillary supporter, sorry no dice.

Go back to your drawing board.

Perhaps the MSM is in the tank for Obama, backroom deals have been made insuring that MSM would never bring it up and this is why Obama has never released his "original live birth certificate".


Think about that for a bit.

<>
diamond is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #67
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Regardless of whoever it was, at that point, I knew the discussion of Sarah Palin, and politics in general was futile in FYM.

This is why I rarely post here.
A lot of regulars, liberals and conservatives alike, either dropped off drastically in their participation or just stopped posting altogether during the election. Probably because an awful lot of the "discussion"--from both sides--consisted of inane character aspersions, with little in the way of substantive debates about actual policy agendas. And at the same time, little apparent interest in discussing anything besides the American election. All of which is unsurprising, as it's just a microcosm of how American society in general behaves during elections.

In this case, "all the haters" of your imagination in fact consisted of one individual, who at any rate never asserted said rumors were fact and also cited other sources denying them. An argument did ensue at that point about the ethics of even posting such speculations, but not about whether they were true, since no one was asserting they were.

We can all continue to hold grudges against specific posters for hyperpartisan behavior during that time, or we can chalk it up to the usual overwrought election-season emotionality that we see and hear (including in ourselves) offline during that time as well, and move on.


Back to the thread topic, please.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #68
Refugee
 
zooropop40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Posts: 1,583
Local Time: 12:35 AM
so um Palin was laughed at throughout the world. I mean no offense to her supporters, but in what I have seen from her, she may be dumber than Bush (I know, I didnt think it was possible!)

Palin/Gingrich '13 ! or... Palin/ Limbaugh, Palin/ Cheney, Palin/ Beck... Wouldnt be surprised.

and actually the world loves Obama! I was just in Italy and I say over 20 different italians wearing Obama shirts.
zooropop40 is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #69
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,900
Local Time: 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
The states who have given America trouble in the past, continue to give us trouble.
A distinction needs to be made between governments and their respective population's popular opinion. Are there government's around the world who dislike, even hate Obama and everything he represents? No doubt. But much of the popular opinion of citizens in many of these countries around the globe is thus far favourable towards Obama. This makes it more difficult for governments to foment discontent and unite the country in their distaste and distrust towards 'The Great Satan'. Say what you will, but Bush was a lightening rod for critcism around the world and this, in turn, made it much easier to hate America.
BoMac is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #70
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Route 66
Posts: 470
Local Time: 11:35 PM
Palin = 2nd term for President Obama
rastacruz is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #71
Refugee
 
zooropop40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Posts: 1,583
Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastacruz View Post
Palin = 2nd term for President Obama
qft
zooropop40 is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London/Sydney
Posts: 6,609
Local Time: 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastacruz View Post
Palin = 2nd term for President Obama
He would barely have to campaign.

Wait - can you imagine an Obama/Palin debate?
Earnie Shavers is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #73
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 06:35 AM
I'm inclined to doubt that she's actually decided yet whether to run in 2012.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #74
Refugee
 
zooropop40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Posts: 1,583
Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
He would barely have to campaign.

Wait - can you imagine an Obama/Palin debate?
Anyone vs. Obama would be funny. Obama knows more about everything than almost every other person. and not just because he is president and gets secret intelligence, but because he is probably one of the most educated and smartest people I have ever met.

Rush Limbaugh would never be able to debate Obama. In fact, one day I hope to witness a debate between Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and Obama.
zooropop40 is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #75
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooropop40 View Post
Obama knows more about everything than almost every other person.
Erm, that's a bit of a stretch. No one can be all things to all people.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,613
Local Time: 10:35 PM
Latest twitter:

Sarah Palin (AKGovSarahPalin) on Twitter

Quote:
Funny! In the words of my sis:Aren't the same ones w/fake twitter sites & blogs crying "she's 'abandoning' us" the same ones wishing u gone?
purpleoscar is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #77
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 06:35 AM
There was actually an article in the Christian Science Monitor on Thursday about divided reactions in Alaska to Palin's performance (as governor) since the campaign ended.
Quote:
In Alaska, many pine for the old Palin

By Yereth Rosen
July 2, 2009


In the Lower 48, Alaska’s governor has been basking in the white-hot celebrity spotlight, leading parades, signing autographs, blasting President Obama, appearing on news shows and in national magazines, and, most famously, feuding with talk-show host David Letterman. Back home, meanwhile, some Alaskans are feeling neglected by Sarah Palin, the governor catapulted from obscurity to fame when she became the Republicans’ vice-presidential candidate.

Recent polls put Governor Palin’s in-state approval rating in the low or mid-50s, respectable but a far cry from one-time ratings near 90%. Some tie the drop to what they say is her newfound proclivity for “red meat” conservative issues over pragmatic Alaskan interests. Others cringe at the family melodramas that have become tabloid fodder. Either way, the loss of support for “Sarah-dise”--the nickname used for Palin’s smooth-running early tenure--includes some notable figures.

Take former Gov. Wally Hickel, the elder statesman who co-chaired Palin’s gubernatorial campaign and to whom Palin referred as her mentor. He broke with his protégée months ago. “When Governor Sarah Palin was elected in 2006, we believed she would put Alaska first. But once elected, she put Sarah first,” he said in a statement June 11. “Because of her national ambitions, she is promoting an agenda that will allow outside corporations to dominate Alaska’s resources, including our energy and the jobs it provides.”

Take the once-compliant state Legislature, now pushing back against Palin. Lawmakers in April blocked her choice for state attorney general, making controversial Anchorage lawyer Wayne Anthony Ross the first cabinet nominee ever rejected in Alaska. Now, lawmakers have gathered near-unanimous support to override Palin’s veto of $28 million in federal stimulus funding for energy-conservation projects. The veto, critics say, was calculated to appeal to her conservative base in the Lower 48.

Take Alaska Natives, who say their interests are more ignored than ever. “She can see Russia out of her house, but she can’t seem to see the things that our villages are dealing with,” says Myron Naneng, president of the Association of Village Council Presidents, a tribal group serving the poverty-stricken Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta in western Alaska. Palin’s nomination of Mr. Ross, who has spent much of his career fighting native hunting, fishing, and tribal interests, added “insult to injury,” Mr. Naneng says. Native fishermen along the lower Yukon River in the past week protested with their nets, illegally catching salmon they believe has been unfairly denied to them by a neglectful governor and her administration.

Dissatisfaction is summed up by one bumper sticker: “Hey Sarah…the job’s in Juneau.”

In Palin’s defense, she spent most of the past legislative session in the capital, says John Bitney, a high school friend who was her legislative liaison until a falling-out with the governor got him fired. There is also the challenge of balancing parochial Alaskan issues with the demands of being a national Republican star. “She’s focused on the national level now, and she’s playing in a league that’s pretty big,” says Mr. Bitney, now a legislative staffer.

If some constituents have soured on Palin, she might feel the same way about some of them. Her selection to the GOP ticket alongside John McCain thrust Alaska’s low-key and insular politics onto the national stage, subjecting her to piercing scrutiny. On top of the “troopergate” investigation launched before she joined the top GOP ticket, a wave of ethics charges has dogged her, socking Palin with personal legal bills topping $500,000. Many have been hypertechnical complaints that probe the gray area between her in-state duties and national activities. So far, at least a dozen complaints have been dismissed, including one Palin deemed “bogus” that concerned her logo-adorned attire at the Iron Dog snowmobile race.

Hard feelings have emerged. Belligerent, defensive missives from Palin’s office include statements urging Alaskans to rise up in a “backlash” against citizens filing ethics complaints and ridiculing lawmakers for criticizing her Lower 48 trips. “We did not anticipate that the governor’s political opponents would want their hands held in the final hours of the session,” an April 13 press release said. During the legislative session, Palin even came to the House speaker’s office and scolded his top aide. It was “a terrible breach of respect of the Legislature by Gov. Palin. This kind of lack of decorum has never happened before,” opined the Alaska Legislative Digest, a newsletter co-written by a former House speaker.

Stephen Taufen, a fisheries activist who was once a staunch Palin supporter but is now “un-enamored with her,” questions her emotional state. “I don’t know how much to blame her or stage-show politics,” he says, but adds, “I’m not going to join the masses of people who want to psychoanalyze her.”

Less reluctant is Bob Poe, a former state trade official and former head of Anchorage’s economic-development corporation. A Democrat, he’s already launched a gubernatorial bid. “I’m certainly not qualified to say she has a narcissistic personality disorder,” Mr. Poe says. But actions that aid her national quest at the expense of Alaska interests, such as the rejection of federal funds, are “narcissistic by definition, because it’s all about her; it’s not about Alaska,” he says.

It wasn’t always this way. Back in Palin’s honeymoon days in office, she struck a centrist tone. One of her first actions was to veto a bill that blocked health benefits for same-sex domestic partners of state workers. She allied with Democrats to raise taxes on oil companies and chart what she and supporters said was a path to a natural-gas pipeline that would not be controlled by the dominant oil producers. She signed robust budgets that boosted spending on education, capital projects, and other services and facilities that lawmakers agreed had languished during the penny-pinching, low-oil-price years. She and lawmakers collaborated to pass an ethics reform package, amid a wide-ranging federal corruption investigation of Alaska’s politicians.

Some of her policies irked businesses, especially Big Oil. Critics likened her to Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez. But overall, the early Palin days were hopeful, says state Sen. Lesil McGuire (R). “Everybody was behind this governor--the first female, the youngest, a lifelong Alaskan, her family--what is there not to like?” Now, she says, “I see a lot of squandered opportunity.” Senator McGuire is among many who doubt that Palin will run for re-election. “Every indication points to the governor doing something in the next couple of years between 2010 and 2012 that’s going to prepare her for running for president,” McGuire says. But governing Alaska “really takes somebody who’s willing to make this their full-time job every single day.”

Dave Dittman, an Anchorage-based Republican pollster and consultant, predicts that Palin will run for reelection--and win easily. It’s only natural that her high ratings have deflated somewhat, he says. But he says he can’t understand why she told Fox News host Sean Hannity, during her East Coast trip last month, that less oil revenue for Alaska “is good for our families and for the private sector.” That contradicts her prior position and the views of most Alaskans, he notes. “There must be a context,” Mr. Dittman says. “I don’t think less oil revenue would be good for Alaska.”

Palin fever remains strong in Wasilla, the rough-edged suburb that is the governor’s hometown. On a recent afternoon at the Mug Shot Saloon, an Old West-style bar in the midst of the strip malls that line the Parks Highway, the smoke was thick, cowboy music played in the background, Fox News was on the TV, and locals were defensive of their hometown girl. “She’s a great person. We love her. And they missed their chance. She should have been in there. And leave her alone now. That’s my opinion,” says bartender Dana Rush. John Schwochert, a Palin family friend, acknowledges that the governor’s in-state popularity has diminished, but that is probably because she has settled into her job. “Everybody here’s pretty satisfied with what she’s done for the state,” he says. If Palin doesn’t run for the US Senate next year, she is a “shoo-in” for reelection and will rise from there, Mr. Schwochert predicts. “I’m really quite sure she’s being groomed for a higher office.”
I'm thinking this reporter's got to be feeling pretty miffed right now...he went and did all that work interviewing people, only to have it rendered irrelevant 24 hours later.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #78
Refugee
 
zooropop40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Posts: 1,583
Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Erm, that's a bit of a stretch. No one can be all things to all people.
of course it's a stretch! but he does know a lot more than most people. I didnt really understand until I sat down and had a conversation with him, and that single conversation is perhaps the main reason I trust most of Obama's judgment and the decisions he has made. He is a really impressive, and intelligent person.
zooropop40 is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,613
Local Time: 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooropop40 View Post
I trust most of Obama's judgment and the decisions he has made. He is a really impressive, and intelligent person.
Well at least you are honest in being a believer.
purpleoscar is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #80
Refugee
 
zooropop40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Posts: 1,583
Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Well at least you are honest in being a believer.
A believer in his intelligence and judgement. yes. Are there things he has done that I disagree with? or course! but do I trust him to make better decisions than Bush? ... unequivocally yes.
__________________

zooropop40 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Obama got elected....... boosterjuice Free Your Mind 200 12-01-2008 11:07 AM
2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 11 purpleoscar Free Your Mind Archive 1010 11-04-2008 05:27 PM
The Rumor / FactCheck Thread Dreadsox Free Your Mind 25 10-21-2008 08:49 PM
so...Mike Huckabee. Harry Vest Free Your Mind Archive 493 02-06-2008 09:01 AM
AdamPorn elizabeth PLEBA Archive 63 12-12-2001 01:21 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×