Sarah Palin resigns as Governor - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:53 PM
I read this yesterday, and found it fascinating. Kind of shows the kind of person we're dealing with, here. At best, twisting the truth to her advantage (and even that's a stretch), at worst, a bold-faced lie. Todd joined the Alaskan Independence Party, a secessionist group, by accident??

Palin E-mails Show Infighting With Staff - CBS News

Palin E-mails Show Infighting With Staff
Exclusive: Spat Over Todd Palin's Membership In Secessionist Party Was Major Distraction On Critical Day In '08 Campaign

(CBS) The tension between Alaska Governor Sarah Palin and top McCain campaign aides in the closing days of last fall's presidential campaign is elucidated in a profile in the new issue of Vanity Fair. CBS News' Scott Conroy and special contributor Shushannah Walshe, who are writing a book about Palin, reveal just one example of how the mutual frustrations went even further than what has been disclosed so far.

Internal campaign e-mails exchanged three weeks before Election Day offer a rare look at just how frustrated then Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin had become with the manner in which top McCain campaign aides were handling her candidacy. The e-mails, obtained exclusively, also highlight the power struggle and thinly veiled acrimony that pervaded the relationship between Palin and the campaign's chief strategist, Steve Schmidt.

The episode in question began when an investigative report published on the left-leaning Web site Salon.com raised questions about Palin's relationship with members of the Alaska Independence Party (AIP) when she was mayor of Wasilla. The AIP's platform calls for a vote giving Alaskans the option to secede from the United States. It had already been widely known that Todd Palin was a registered member of the AIP from 1995 to 2002 and that Governor Palin had taped a recorded greeting at the party's 2008 convention.

On the morning of Oct. 15, Palin was aboard her campaign jet and en route to New Hampshire when she happened to catch a disparaging CNN segment that touted the Salon.com story, complete with a provocative graphic at the bottom of the screen reading, "THE PALINS AND THE FRINGE."

While shaking hands after a rally later that afternoon, someone on the rope line shouted a remark at Palin about the AIP.

The comment set her off. She worried that the campaign was not sufficiently mitigating the issue of her alleged connection to the party, which despite a platform that harkens more to the Civil War than the 21st century, continued to play a serious role in Alaska politics.

Palin blasted out an e-mail with the subject line "Todd" to Schmidt, campaign manager Rick Davis and senior advisor Nicolle Wallace, copying her husband on the message (all of the e-mails are reprinted below as written).

"Pls get in front of that ridiculous issue that's cropped up all day today - two reporters, a protestor's sign, and many shout-outs all claiming Todd's involvement in an anti-American political party," Palin wrote. "It's bull, and I don't want to have to keep reacting to it ... Pls have statement given on this so it's put to bed."

Her reference to a single protestor's sign and "many shout-outs" was indicative of Palin's occasional tendency to take anecdotal evidence of a minor problem and extrapolate it into something far more menacing. The final of the three presidential debates was just hours away, which would mark the unveiling of the soon-to-be canonized Joe The Plumber.

The Joe The Plumber narrative was the Republicans' secret weapon -- the last chance to put a chink in Obama's seemingly impervious armor. It was not a time for distractions, but the campaign was compelled to deal with the drama that seemed to follow Palin wherever she went.

Schmidt hit "reply to all" less than five minutes after Palin's e-mail was sent. "Ignore it," he wrote. "He was a member of the aip? My understanding is yes. That is part of their platform. Do not engage the protestors. If a reporter asks say it is ridiculous. Todd loves america."

This clear cut response from the campaign's top dog carried an air of finality, but it did not satisfy Palin. She responded with another e-mail, adding five more names to the "cc" box, all of whom traveled on her campaign plane. They included her senior political adviser Tucker Eskew, senior aide Jason Recher, the lone traveling aide from her Alaska office Kris Perry, press secretary Tracey Schmitt and personal assistant Bexie Nobles.

Palin's insertion of the five additional staffers in the e-mail chain was an apparent attempt to rally her own troops in the face of a decision from the commanding general with which she disagreed. Her inclusion of her personal assistant was particularly telling about her quest for affirmation and support in numbers, since the young staffer was not in a position to have any input on campaign strategy.

"That's not part of their platform and he was only a 'member' bc independent alaskans too often check that 'Alaska Independent' box on voter registrations thinking it just means non partisan," Palin wrote. "He caught his error when changing our address and checked the right box. I still want it fixed."

Palin was attempting to bend the facts ever so slightly to fit neatly into her version of events. In truth, the box that Alaskans have the option of checking when registering to vote states the full name of the party, "Alaskan Independence Party," not "Alaska Independent," which would make an error by uncommitted voters more plausible.

Clearly irritated by what he saw as Palin's attempt to mislead her own campaign and apparently determined to demonstrate that the ultimate authority rested with him, Schmidt put the matter to rest once and for all with a longer response to everyone in the e-mail chain.

"Secession," he wrote. "It is their entire reason for existence. A cursory examination of the website shows that the party exists for the purpose of seceding from the union. That is the stated goal on the front page of the web site. Our records indicate that todd was a member for seven years. If this is incorrect then we need to understand the discrepancy. The statement you are suggesting be released would be innaccurate. The innaccuracy would bring greater media attention to this matter and be a distraction. According to your staff there have been no media inquiries into this and you received no questions about it during your interviews. If you are asked about it you should smile and say many alaskans who love their country join the party because it speeks to a tradition of political independence. Todd loves his country

We will not put out a statement and inflame this and create a situation where john has to adress this."

Schmidt's rebuttal to Palin's suggestion that reporters had asked her about the issue was particularly blunt in that it implicitly questioned her truthfulness. Furthermore, his unwillingness to budge an inch on the matter was a remarkable assertion of his power to pull rank over the candidate herself.

Palin was silent after his second e-mail and the campaign did not issue the statement she demanded.

Reached on his cell phone on Wednesday, Schmidt declined to comment on the e-mail exchange. "I was proud to work for the McCain-Palin ticket," he said. "We did our best in an extraordinarily difficult year. I wish that all this stuff could all be left in the past where it belongs because Barack Obama won the election and he's President of the United States. It's all over, it's in the past."

Jason Recher, who remains a staunch Palin supporter and recently accompanied the governor on a trip to New York, said he hoped people would focus more on positive memories from the campaign.

"These internal communications and debates are in reference to a campaign that no longer exists," Recher said. "It proves wrong the anonymous claims that Governor Palin didn't seek or follow counsel from senior strategists on a wide array of issues. Sarah Palin has moved on with her life and continues to have a positive impact on so many. We should follow her lead and do the same."

Since Election Day, Palin has made only infrequent jaunts to the Lower 48 and has no public plans to cross the political Rubicon into Iowa or New Hampshire. But her oftentimes dysfunctional campaign experience does not seem to have swayed her from seeking national office.

In a recent interview with "Runner's World" magazine, the avid long distance runner was asked if there was a part of her that would have been reluctant to leave behind the Alaskan landscape and move to Washington, D.C., had the outcome in November been different. Notably, Palin did not use the past tense in her response. She was instead rather blunt in acknowledging that a future move to the nation's capital is something she can envision.

"Alaska would be hard to give up because it is such a part of who I am. So much of my life revolves around the great outdoors that that would be kind of tough," Palin said. "But on the other hand, I think of being in D.C. and in a position to promote physical fitness and the benefits of making good decisions health-wise and being an example to others, and I know that could do some good for our country."

Old 07-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:53 AM
3 years in advance of 2012 is way too early. Something else is up.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #23
New Yorker

sarah is resigning? YAY!
Old 07-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

She's either:

a. taking Jonah Goldberg advice and actually do some reading over the next few years.

b. about to be exposed on something and is making a preemptive resignation.

c. is truly doing this for the right reasons and not running for office in 2012.

If she is planning to run in 2012 this is one of the dumbest moves she can make, but I wouldn't put it past her...
Old 07-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

If she is planning to run in 2012 this is one of the dumbest moves she can make, but I wouldn't put it past her...
This is Palin we're talking about. Dumb moves are her forte.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:53 AM
Hopefully, it is not related to the left wing hate campaign against her.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
This is Palin we're talking about. Dumb moves are her forte.
The paedo-in-chief made a good career move recently....
Old 07-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #28
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
The paedo-in-chief made a good career move recently....
Trolling for reactions now?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Trolling for reactions now?
Na, just commenting on the hypocrisy of some on the left. It's hard not to, if it's that blatant.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #30
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Na, just commenting on the hypocrisy of some on the left. It's hard not to, if it's that blatant.
Right. And the best way to comment on hypocrisy about Sara Palin was to essentially celebrate Michael Jackson's death in response to a Michael Jackson fan.

I see.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #31
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Right. And the best way to comment on hypocrisy about Sara Palin was to essentially celebrate Michael Jackson's death in response to a Michael Jackson fan.

I see.
Dieman, don't you remember that time when MJ was a governor, and he quit halfway through his term? It's practically the same thing.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Where did I make any judgments on Sarah Palin's character, which is essentially, what you (financeguy) are doing to Michael Jackson? This might shock you, but I'm an intelligent person. I pay attention to what's going on the world. Even though I disagree with her on everything and feel she lacks the qualifications for any major political office, I've payed attention to the things she's said or done for the simple fact that for a short time, it was necessary. She could have become the vice president of the United States. From the moment she opened her mouth last August, it was clear to me she was lacking the intellect necessary for the job she claimed she wanted. She made many foolish choices throughout the campaign that led to her ticket losing the election and her choices in recent months (i.e. the Letterman overreaction) have shown most people she's simply not cut out for politics on a national level. I didn't say she's a horrible, evil person, just that she's about as qualified to be president as the average, mostly uninformed American. Your comparisons make about as much sense as Limbaugh's assertion that President Obama was at fault for Sanford's affair.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #33
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Where did I make any judgments on Sarah Palin's character, which is essentially, what you (financeguy) are doing to Michael Jackson?
To be fair, saying that dumb moves are someone's forte doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement of their character.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Where did I make any judgments on Sarah Palin's character, which is essentially, what you (financeguy) are doing to Michael Jackson? This might shock you, but I'm an intelligent person. I pay attention to what's going on the world. Even though I disagree with her on everything and feel she lacks the qualifications for any major political office, I've payed attention to the things she's said or done for the simple fact that for a short time, it was necessary. She could have become the vice president of the United States. From the moment she opened her mouth last August, it was clear to me she was lacking the intellect necessary for the job she claimed she wanted. She made many foolish choices throughout the campaign that led to her ticket losing the election and her choices in recent months (i.e. the Letterman overreaction) have shown most people she's simply not cut out for politics on a national level. I didn't say she's a horrible, evil person, just that she's about as qualified to be president as the average, mostly uninformed American. Your comparisons make about as much sense as Limbaugh's assertion that President Obama was at fault for Sanford's affair.
Look, I'm just just asking for a more balanced judgement as regards the life and times of Michael Jackson. I don't mean to offend anyone, so apologies if I did offend you.

Jacko touched us all in our special place, so it's important to remember how he touched us and all the young people. (I'm joking!!!)

His talent and music was brilliant, but having a conversation about Jackson while ignoring bad stuff he might have done makes about as much sense as having a debate about Sarah Palin but only permitting conservative views re Sarah Palin, is all I'm saying.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #35
Forum Moderator

Back to the thread topic...

I really have no idea what to make of this right now. But the way she framed her decision in her announcement seemed to me risky at best. Essentially, the message seemed to be, "I don't want to be just another lame duck governor milking state funds for unnecessary junkets around the country, or defense against spurious political criticisms, so I'm going to keep my eyes on the prize and do all of you a favor by resigning." That's quite an eyebrow-raiser, especially coming from a (presumed) Presidential hopeful who was still 17 months away from completing her very first term in a state-level office.

I don't think Sanford makes a good comparison here because his political future is shot whether he likes it or not, so for him, the only consideration is how he wants to go out.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 07-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #36
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Back to the thread topic...

I really have no idea what to make of this right now. But the way she framed her decision in her announcement seemed to me risky at best. Essentially, the message seemed to be, "I don't want to be just another lame duck governor milking state funds for unnecessary junkets around the country, or defense against spurious political criticisms, so I'm going to keep my eyes on the prize and do all of you a favor by resigning." That's quite an eyebrow-raiser, especially coming from a (presumed) Presidential hopeful who was still 17 months away from completing her very first term in a state-level office.
Exactly, and by that very reasoning, every governor who sees out their final term is doing their constituents a disservice, and that's simply not true.

By and large, most of the commentary I've seen today seems to fall on the side of this being a very bad decision, if it was done for political reasons, with a view to 2012. Even Republican pundits have said so. In light of that though, I've read over and over again (most recently in the article I posted in this thread) that she surrounds herself with unreliable advisors who continually give her damaging advice.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

There's a new Vanity Fair article on her that's not too flattering:

Todd S. Purdum on Sarah Palin | vanityfair.com

Quote:
A sampling:

— "One longtime McCain friend and frequent companion on the trail was heard to refer to Palin as 'Little Shop of Horrors.'"

— "Some top aides worried about her mental state: was it possible that she was experiencing postpartum depression?"

— "Several told me, independently of one another, that they had consulted the definition of 'narcissistic personality disorder' in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders — 'a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy' — and thought it fit her perfectly.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:53 PM
She's also complaining about legal bills of $500,000. Yikes!

She mentions "helping outside government." That doesn't sound like a presidential nomination, unless she's "bat shit crazy."
Old 07-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I sincerely hope she runs in 2012.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:55 AM   #40
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I would go with her statements on national TV that can and will be verified.

Or we could just go with gut feelings and our bias because she is yucky, and you know, she is like a slutty stewardess.
I came across this earlier:

Ethics complaints filed against Palin: Gov. Sarah Palin | adn.com

So, she was technically cleared in 15 of them, but there are still 3 pending. Some of the complaints do seem awfully nitpicky, but others do not. And of the 15 she was cleared of, in the one regarding travel expenses for her children, there was no wrongdoing found, but she had to repay $10,000 to the state for the expenses. In another one, the major "troopergate" scandal from last fall, if you remember, a committee was formed to look into allegations and to come to a decision. Then out of nowhere, Palin filed ethics charges against herself, so that the state personnel board (who are essentially her employees - Alaska, unlike other states, does not have an independent board to study ethics complaints. Every complaint that says it was cleared by the personnel board falls under this category) could investigate. The original committee did find that there was a breach of ethics, but - surprise - the state personnel board didn't.

The moral of all this? Always verify what comes out of her mouth, even those things that are "easily verifiable," because she has a proven penchant for twisting the truth.

I'd like to see more evidence before I even come close to believing this, but there are rumours out there from several sources that state that a criminal indictment against Palin is pending authorization, relating to the Palin house being built by the same contractors who built the sports complex in Wasilla while she was mayor. It'll be interesting to see if this happens or not. These same Alaskan bloggers seemed to be very reliable when reporting information last fall, scooping mainstream media several times. On the other hand, if she truly has left politics with no plans to run in 2012, I think it's one of the most self aware decisions she's ever made, and I'll give credit where credit is due.