Santa's Butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/12/02/santa.beer.ap/index.html

The lawsuit was brought by the Maine Civil Liberties Union, which says the beer labels are entitled to First Amendment protection.

"There is no good reason for the state to censor art, even art found on a beer label," said Zachary Heiden, staff attorney for the MCLU.

The label for the English-made Santa's Butt Winter Porter features a rear view of a beer-drinking Santa Claus sitting atop a barrel. The beer's name refers not only to Santa's ample backside, but also to the barrel. In England, brewers once used a large barrel called a "butt" to store beer.

Maine also denied label applications for Les Sans Culottes, a French ale, and Rose de Gambrinus, a Belgian fruit beer.

Les Sans Culottes' label is illustrated with detail from Eugene Delacroix's 1830 painting "Liberty Leading the People," which hangs in the Louvre and once appeared on the 100-franc bill. Rose de Gambrinus shows a bare-breasted woman in a watercolor painting commissioned by the brewery.

In a letter to Shelton Brothers, the state denied the applications for the labels because they contained "undignified or improper illustration."

They honestly think that would appeal to children? And who really cares about nudity or sexuality or whatever on liquor labels in the grand scheme of things, I am way more offended by Britney's PDV :wink:

I understand concerns about liquor ads appealing to underage drinkers (some blatantly do), but this isn't the same thing and it seems to me it's an attempt at humor and double entendre that's aimed at adults. Worry more about drinking prevention programs for teens and parental involvement than you do about Santa's butt. I never thought of labels being classified as art, but maybe they are :shrug: If it hangs in The Louvre it must be.

Odd this is even a dispute. I agree that there are times when you have to wonder if the tobacco and alcohol industries are marketing to teens and children, but this is not one of them, as far as I can tell.

Yeah I read this a few days ago. I really want to try some of the bear that this company imports, it looks interesting.

So... great publicity!

EDIT: And by bear, I mean beer. :reject:

Last edited:
If I was a kid and saw that picture, I would think that meant the beer tastes like shit. It certainly wouldn't make me want to drink it.

Besides, kids are trying to be cool. Joe Camel was cool. Santa's butt is not.

Good Lord! They're censoring Delacroix! This is not cool! He's my favorite artist! I know this is not an art discussion thread but it's a censorship thread, and I can't believe they're really doing this.

Back
Top Bottom