Same Sex Marriage Thread - Part III - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #141
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,518
Local Time: 12:50 AM
I think men aren't quite as burdened by social expectations as to "the way things should be."

It's death by 1001 Katherine Heigel movies.
__________________

Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #142
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,601
Local Time: 08:50 PM
this does not really belong here, but I did not want to start a new thread

so being lazy, and because of the same sex angle

Florida teen rejects plea deal in controversial same-sex case - CNN.com
__________________

deep is offline  
Old 05-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,741
Local Time: 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
this does not really belong here, but I did not want to start a new thread

so being lazy, and because of the same sex angle

Florida teen rejects plea deal in controversial same-sex case - CNN.com
I'm mixed about this issue. On one hand, the elder girl was 18 and the younger one was 14, so that is statutory rape no matter what. But the outrage and attention is greater here because its a same-sex relationship. Also, the way Hunt "acted out" was no different from a straight girl being told she can't see her boyfriend. Some people are trying to make this case proof that homosexuality is devious and gays are coming for the children.
Pearl is offline  
Old 05-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #144
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 09:50 PM
We had two families keep their kids home from my school on Harvey Milk Day because a "Christian" radio station told them to. It was "against their core values." Here's the kicker: no one on our staff even knew it was Harvey Milk Day, and only about three of the staff knew who Harvey Milk was, and then I think I was the only one who knew who he was beyond the movie.

:theresnotabigenougheyerollforthis:
martha is offline  
Old 05-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #145
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,601
Local Time: 08:50 PM
good for those parents

I'm sick of the dairy lobby.
deep is offline  
Old 05-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #146
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 09:50 PM
The Dairy Agenda is taking over our schools.
martha is offline  
Old 05-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #147
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,784
Local Time: 12:50 AM
Whole milk is what's making our country fat, you know.
IWasBored is offline  
Old 05-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
jeevey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rue St. Divine
Posts: 4,096
Local Time: 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Sounds like the common denominator in divorce rates is women.

Men are better at marriage.
Atlantic magazine's cover feature this week makes the very same assertion. Gay men are actually the least likely to divorce, and lesbians are more likely than straights. Gay men also have the highest rates (many, many times higher) of open, allowed steps out side the relationship.

So, rather than 'better at marriage' there may be a different set of expectations about what marriage will be.
jeevey is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #149
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
We had two families keep their kids home from my school on Harvey Milk Day because a "Christian" radio station told them to. It was "against their core values." Here's the kicker: no one on our staff even knew it was Harvey Milk Day, and only about three of the staff knew who Harvey Milk was, and then I think I was the only one who knew who he was beyond the movie.

:theresnotabigenougheyerollforthis:
Dare I ask what Harvey Milk Day is?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #150
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 09:50 PM
Harvey Milk was an openly gay elected member of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors who was assassinated by the dipshit who originated the "Twinkie Defense." Milk was a gay rights activist before that. California's legislature made May (insert date here) Harvey Milk Day.

The movie Milk is terrific and should be in your Netflix queue.
martha is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #151
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 06:50 AM
Okay I didn't know that. Figures why the hardcore christians don't like it. Yet keeping your children away from school because of it?? Why?

Fraid I have not heard of Netflix either..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #152
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Okay I didn't know that. Figures why the hardcore christians don't like it. Yet keeping your children away from school because of it?? Why?
Because the children would turn gay instantly upon hearing of Harvey Milk. It happens every year with Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Students everywhere turn black.


Hmm, no Netflix is your far-off land? You should put the movie on your list to see at some point, then.
martha is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #153
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,518
Local Time: 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post

Because the children would turn gay instantly upon hearing of Harvey Milk. It happens every year with Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Students everywhere turn black.

Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #154
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 06:50 AM
Now THAT would be a surprise!

Oh right, that's the pay per view movie thing you guys have there right? Nah we don't have that here, though you can order some movies through the digital tv company I think. I'll see if I can find the dvd somewhere, otherwise I can always check with my pirate buddies to see it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,741
Local Time: 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Because the children would turn gay instantly upon hearing of Harvey Milk. It happens every year with Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Students everywhere turn black.

I think that really happens in February, during Black History Month.
Pearl is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #156
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,784
Local Time: 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post

Because the children would turn gay instantly upon hearing of Harvey Milk. It happens every year with Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Students everywhere turn black.
IWasBored is offline  
Old 05-31-2013, 04:46 AM   #157
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,319
Local Time: 03:50 PM
Some of the world moves forward... other parts take many steps back.


Nigerian MPs vote to outlaw gay marriage | News.com.au
cobl04 is offline  
Old 06-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #158
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 06:50 AM
Some countries advance into the future, some go back to the middle ages...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #159
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,518
Local Time: 12:50 AM
this surprises me not at all:

Quote:
Tick for same-sex families
Date
June 5, 2013 - 9:05PM

Children of same-sex parents are doing as well or better than the rest of the population on a number of key health indicators.

That is the initial finding from the world's largest study on the children of same-sex parents, under way at Melbourne University.

The Australian Study of Child Health in Same-Sex Families collected data on 500 children nationwide, up to the age of 17.

An interim report found there was no statistical difference between children of same-sex couples and the rest of the population on indicators including self-esteem, emotional behaviour and the amount of time spent with parents.

However, children of same-sex couples scored higher than the national average for overall health and family cohesion, measuring how well the family members get along.

Former prime minister Kevin Rudd said the wellbeing of children had been ''the sole remaining obstacle'' to him supporting same-sex marriage, which he announced in a blog post last month.

Federal Parliament was to vote this week on Greens MP Adam Bandt's private member's bill to legalise same-sex marriage. However, a vote is now unlikely before the election to allow more time for debate.

''Because of the situation that same-sex families find themselves in, they are generally more willing to communicate and approach the issues that any child may face at school, like teasing or bullying,'' lead researcher Dr Simon Crouch said.

''This fosters openness and means children tend to be more resilient. That would be our hypothesis.''

Mother of three Kate Coghlan concurred. ''We talk about everything: from how they were conceived to the different relationships that people have,'' the 39-year-old said. ''They are very accepting and more tolerating of diversity.''

Her partner, Susan Rennie, is the biological mother of Hannah, 8, and Xavier, 6, while Ms Coghlan gave birth to five-year-old Anouk. All three children were conceived through the same known donor.

Ms Coghlan was adopted, so she wanted her children to know as many of their family as possible, including their biological father.

''They say 'yes, we have got a dad; he just doesn't live with us','' she said.



Read more: Children of Same-Sex Couples Excel in Key Health Indicators: Study


i don't think there's anything inherently superior about gay parents, i don't think that children need two mothers or two fathers, i think that a mother and a father can likely do just as well as a gay family.

however, i do think that the gay people who choose to become parents are going to be much more successful group than straight parents as a whole, because for gay parents having children is absolutely opt-in, rather than default. it's totally optional and not obligatory, and because it takes so much work to become a gay parent, they're fully prepared not just for parenthood but for all the issues they know they're going to have to face as a gay family. it seems that all the obstacles gay people have had to face may have equipped them to actually be better parents.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #160
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
jeevey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rue St. Divine
Posts: 4,096
Local Time: 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

i don't think there's anything inherently superior about gay parents, i don't think that children need two mothers or two fathers, i think that a mother and a father can likely do just as well as a gay family.

however, i do think that the gay people who choose to become parents are going to be much more successful group than straight parents as a whole, because for gay parents having children is absolutely opt-in, rather than default. it's totally optional and not obligatory, and because it takes so much work to become a gay parent, they're fully prepared not just for parenthood but for all the issues they know they're going to have to face as a gay family. it seems that all the obstacles gay people have had to face may have equipped them to actually be better parents.
Have you seen the cover story on The Atlantic this month? It's not online yet, but it's called "What Straights Can Learn From Gay Marriage." It has a bunch of interesting info, such as that in lab interactions gay couples tend to fight fairer, with less aggression, dominance and whining. They also report greater sexual satisfaction that straights. The writer hypothesizes that this may be because, coming without relationship role scripts, they are better at working things out based on inclination and agreement, rather than, as you say, default.
__________________

jeevey is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×