Same Sex Marriage Thread - Part III - Page 48 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #941
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,475
Local Time: 06:23 PM
The Regnerus study is ghastly social science. This really isn't a debatable point. It simply is.

I agree with INDY -- gay at birth doesn't matter, it's immaterial. What's important, and it seems he agrees, is that sexual orientation is entirely unchosen, and it can't be changed in any sort of meaningful way. So the "born gay/show me the gene" misses the point -- as INDY says, it doesn't matter
__________________

Irvine511 is online now  
Old 02-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #942
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
I've recently changed my mind on the topic having believed orientation was largely determined at birth for the last 10 years. And I don't rule it out either, but I need some real scientific, empirical proof. None currently exists. But frankly I don't see how it matters. Whether or not one is "born gay" has no significance either way on the SSM argument for me.
The hysterical and violent reaction to the Mark Regnerus study showed just how politicized the social science on homosexuality and same-sex parenting has become. It's one-sided. Like global-warming. It's largely agenda-driven science with an outcome looking for verification.
I would never argue with someone about it however. If Irvine says he has been attracted to males his entire life and feels he was born homosexual I have no reason to doubt him.

You doubt that science can be bastardized by politics?

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/02/...king/parenents


Idiotic but it will be used by zealots.
I don't doubt that science can be influenced by politics, sure, scientist can only cover topics they get funding for... but largely this does not affect the big picture. Because the way scientist work, with peer reviews and everything. You can't just put out bogus facts that aren't backed by someone else these days, it won't work, you'd be a fraud and laughing stock of the Scientific community.

And that's a worldwide community.

I am glad you are changing your mind.

And for proof? Well, I can tell you from personal experience that I've always been this way. Sure, I started out thinking I was straight, because as a kid you don't get exposed much to the other possibilities. Had I been, I might've known sooner that I didn't have a clear preference. All I know is that all my teenage life I felt like there was something missing, and I found that when I met my first girlfriend. It changed my world, I finally started realising who I was and felt much more comfortable in my own skin.

None of this has anything to do with politics. Nothing of this has anything to do with being indoctrinated by anyone or anything. All it was about was living in an open minded country where I could discover who I was in my own pace. And where I'm not judged for the ones I love. The general consensus of my friends was that they more or less figured already. Nobody's judging, nothing has changed.
__________________

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 02-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #943
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,462
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
It's one-sided. Like global-warming. It's largely agenda-driven science with an outcome looking for verification.


You doubt that science can be bastardized by politics?

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/02/...king/parenents
As someone who studies planetary atmospheres, it is kind of insulting that you'd call it an "agenda-driven science."

Global warming is not a myth. Global warming is not exaggerated. Global warming is observable through laws of physics as an energy budget on Earth. Yes, it is absolutely a political tool but the science behind it is 100% real, and much like a gay individual and the origin in time of their sexuality, a scientist has no reason to lie about their conducted research. And please do not equate a soft science to a hard science.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 02-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #944
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,475
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
All I know is that all my teenage life I felt like there was something missing, and I found that when I met my first girlfriend. It changed my world, I finally started realising who I was and felt much more comfortable in my own skin.


this exactly.
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 02-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #945
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 12:23 AM
If anything, I'd say the love I've shared with women was more special than with men. There's just some kind of deeper understanding between two people of the same sex, the relationships were a lot easier I guess. More intense as well.


Did anyone catch the opening Ceremony of the olympic games? I had to laugh out loud when Germany came up. Awesome outfits!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 02-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #946
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,741
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Did anyone see the part where they did 1,000 years of Russian history, and at the end, showed those heterosexual marriages? As if to stick to their anti-gay message.

When they showed all those baby carriages and NBC said that represented that the Russian government was looking to increase the birth rate, I couldn't help but wonder if Putin would go down the same route as Nicolae Ceaucescu, the Romanian communist dictator. He may not, but who knows?
Pearl is offline  
Old 02-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #947
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,601
Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:
Federal government to expand recognition of same-sex marriages

Los Angeles Times | February 8, 2014 | 11:10 AM
Atty. Gen. Eric H. Holder Jr. will issue a directive Monday expanding government recognition of same-sex marriages to all federal courtrooms and prisons and some federal benefits programs.

The new policy, which Holder plans to announce tonight at a gay rights dinner in New York, will apply even in states that do not recognize same-sex couples' marriages as long as they were legally married in another state.
deep is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #948
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,900
Local Time: 07:23 PM
I hope one day soon this will no longer be newsworthy. But that day isn't here yet, and so this is a landmark event in pro North American sports.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/sp...?smid=tw-share
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #949
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 04:23 PM
Beat me to it^

Quite possibly the biggest coming out in American sports - yet.

Missouri DE and NFL prospect Michael Sam announces he is gay

With respect to Martina and other ladies, it's just not perceived the same and we all know it's not. And unlike the other males (Collins, etc.) - this dude is not washed up or a marginal player and he's not playing in any league not named the mighty NFL.

And he's doing it BEFORE the NFL draft. In manliest manly man football. The biggest sport in America by miles. This guy is BEGINNING his pro career by coming out.

In other words, we're going to see whether it makes any difference or not. It won't.
U2DMfan is offline  
Old 02-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #950
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,462
Local Time: 06:23 PM
I think it was perfect timing.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 02-10-2014, 12:20 AM   #951
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,475
Local Time: 06:23 PM
This is actual bravery. Good luck to him.
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 02-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #952
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 10:23 PM
He also cost himself a ton of $$$.

Hope he makes it. He definitely needs a team with strong leadership.

But it just takes one. If he's successful (meaning he plays in nfl) I think you'll see the gates open and more players come out.
BEAL is offline  
Old 02-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #953
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,462
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Not sure what you mean by this costing him money...

This could easily make him money.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 02-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #954
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,475
Local Time: 06:23 PM
hey, INDY, you'll be delighted to know that Memphis and i were actually refused at a venue here in DC. it's a hall associated with a Jesuit monastery, and it's gorgeous. however, they say that they are "forced to conform with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church." we're totally being discriminated against!

and guess what? we're going to look some place else! you know why? because this is totally different than a baker refusing to bake us a cake. we would be having the actual ceremony on the grounds, which would then implicated the venue in the participation of an event that actually is against their religious beliefs. and guess what? we have NO PROBLEM with that!

sure, it feels shitty to be discriminated against, and one wonders where the slippery slope ends (can they discriminate against non-virgin couples? fucking before marriage certainly goes against Jesus), but this does not actually violate non-discrimination laws in the way that refusing to bake us a goddamn pie does!
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 02-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #955
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,462
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Of course they can let non-virgins in! They can forgive people just like themselves silly.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 02-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #956
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,153
Local Time: 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Not sure what you mean by this costing him money...

This could easily make him money.
He certainly cost himself some money. There will be teams who won't draft him because of this. Some because they're bigots and others because, more than likely, he'll be a distraction.

If he does become a crusader and make this about his sexuality, he won't make it in this league for very long. You see it all the time, the NFL doesn't really care if you're a good guy, but you damn well better not rock the boat. That shit isn't tolerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
hey, INDY, you'll be delighted to know that Memphis and i were actually refused at a venue here in DC. it's a hall associated with a Jesuit monastery, and it's gorgeous. however, they say that they are "forced to conform with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church." we're totally being discriminated against!

and guess what? we're going to look some place else! you know why? because this is totally different than a baker refusing to bake us a cake. we would be having the actual ceremony on the grounds, which would then implicated the venue in the participation of an event that actually is against their religious beliefs. and guess what? we have NO PROBLEM with that!

sure, it feels shitty to be discriminated against, and one wonders where the slippery slope ends (can they discriminate against non-virgin couples? fucking before marriage certainly goes against Jesus), but this does not actually violate non-discrimination laws in the way that refusing to bake us a goddamn pie does!

I actually have no problem with this sort of discrimination. I don't want to see religious institutions to go against their beliefs. When their faith overlaps with the public, they'll have to acquiesce to public standards, but in their own place? Let them have it.
Dalton is offline  
Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #957
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,475
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I actually have no problem with this sort of discrimination. I don't want to see religious institutions to go against their beliefs. When their faith overlaps with the public, they'll have to acquiesce to public standards, but in their own place? Let them have it.


it's not a church, nor would it be a religious ceremony involving any clergy, it's merely a building owned by a monastery. so, really, all we'd want to do on that tax-free land (churches are exempt, yo!) would be to have an entirely legal secular ceremony. but i suppose if they want to be in alignment with Catholic teachings, that's cool -- i get that SSM isn't.

i just hope that they do a V-card check for all the straight couples who want to get married there so they don't violate Catholic teaching and marry people who have had premarital sex or, god forbid, use birth control. and i hope no non-Catholics or Jews want to get married there either.

i'm fine getting in the back of the bus in order to accomodate someone's religious convictions -- i just hope there's consistency in application and it's not just a single group that's being singled out for discrimination via BS about "consistency" with "teachings."
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 02-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #958
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,475
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
He certainly cost himself some money. There will be teams who won't draft him because of this. Some because they're bigots and others because, more than likely, he'll be a distraction.

a distraction for his teammates, or a distraction for the older, whiter, richer owners?

his teammates at Missouri, and in fact the entire campus, seem absolutely fine with him.
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 02-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #959
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,153
Local Time: 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
a distraction for his teammates, or a distraction for the older, whiter, richer owners?

his teammates at Missouri, and in fact the entire campus, seem absolutely fine with him.
Probably both. And you can act indignant all you want, but you know this to be true. We're moving in the right direction, but we're not there yet.
Dalton is offline  
Old 02-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #960
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,153
Local Time: 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
it's not a church, nor would it be a religious ceremony involving any clergy, it's merely a building owned by a monastery. so, really, all we'd want to do on that tax-free land (churches are exempt, yo!) would be to have an entirely legal secular ceremony. but i suppose if they want to be in alignment with Catholic teachings, that's cool -- i get that SSM isn't.

i just hope that they do a V-card check for all the straight couples who want to get married there so they don't violate Catholic teaching and marry people who have had premarital sex or, god forbid, use birth control. and i hope no non-Catholics or Jews want to get married there either.

i'm fine getting in the back of the bus in order to accomodate someone's religious convictions -- i just hope there's consistency in application and it's not just a single group that's being singled out for discrimination via BS about "consistency" with "teachings."
Well you could always do what other couples in those situations do and lie. Which of you would look better in drag on your wedding day?

Congrats btw!
__________________

Dalton is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×