Same Sex Marriage Thread - Part III - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #661
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,275
Local Time: 07:46 AM
I keep saying, that I would be open to changing my stance on SSM if opponents of it could tell what these awful 'consequences' would be. I continually ask what they are, but not a single person has been able to give me a concrete answer, they just throw up airy-fairy bullshit.
__________________

cobl04 is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #662
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Your logic is a plague on society.
And your bullying of dissenters to "go away" is fascist. An increasingly common characteristic in proponents of SSM these days.

By the way, was it "a plague" when President Obama shared my views on the definition of marriage?
__________________

INDY500 is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #663
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I keep saying, that I would be open to changing my stance on SSM if opponents of it could tell what these awful 'consequences' would be. I continually ask what they are, but not a single person has been able to give me a concrete answer, they just throw up airy-fairy bullshit.
Should a Colorado baker be forced to make wedding cakes for gay couples, despite the baker's religious objection - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
Here's the story: Jack C. Phillips, co-owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Denver, in July 2012 told Charlie Craig and David Mullins that he would not bake a cake for their wedding. He said as a long-practicing Christian he believed God intended marriage to be for one man and one woman.

He also told the couple, "I'll make you birthday cakes, shower cakes, sell you cookies and brownies, I just don't make cakes for same-sex weddings." He believed he was protected in this because the Colorado Constitution defined marriage as between one man and one woman.

Craig and Mullins apparently didn't have trouble finding another baker to make a cake, one with rainbow-colored filling, for their later out-of-state wedding. It's not as if Phillips prevented them from getting a cake from anywhere in America.

If he refuses, he'll be fined or jailed.
Clearly this baker just needs to "go away."
INDY500 is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #664
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,473
Local Time: 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
And your bullying of dissenters to "go away" is fascist. An increasingly common characteristic in proponents of SSM these days.


Yes, that's it, gays and their allies are the real bullies. Right wing victimhood and grievance knows no bounds or shame.

Because your ignorance is just as good as my knowledge. Simply having an opinion means it's precious and special and as good as any other, including much more informed opinions.

Should we talk about emotionalism again?

I'm awaiting your list of all the terrible things that have happened since SSM has been legal for over 10 years in Mass.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #665
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,473
Local Time: 04:46 PM



This baker needs to understand the laws of his own state.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #666
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 04:46 PM
Fuck the baker. Good. I'm glad it's illegal for him to do that.
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #667
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 01:46 PM
Boys, the rights of a baker far outweigh any "rights" homosexuals may have as far as equal protection under the Constitution.

COME ON. If that baker doesn't like blacks gays, then he shouldn't have to have any contact with them whatsoever.



That's what happens when gays are allowed to have the same rights as we are. That's yer slippery slope right there.
martha is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #668
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 04:46 PM
Conservatives: "Business is super great! We should base everything around making money ... unless it's gay money. We don't want to sell our things for the gay money."
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 11:10 PM   #669
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 01:46 PM
Seriously, a baker has to make a cake for a gay couple. That's the fallout from marriage equality.
martha is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 11:27 PM   #670
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,473
Local Time: 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Seriously, a baker has to make a cake for a gay couple. That's the fallout from marriage equality.

But his RELIGIOUS BELIEFS are under attack! Can you imagine how personally violated he must feel having to abide by Colorado's clear anti-discrimination laws? Much, much worse than forcing a woman to have a transvaginal ultrasound.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:35 AM   #671
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 10:46 PM
Sooo this is your horrible consequence when gay people get married?


So you say I can't get married because a baker might be forced to obey the law and see me as a real human being rather than something vile and less human?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #672
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,275
Local Time: 07:46 AM
Same Sex Marriage Thread - Part III

I don't think he should be forced to and I don't think he should be fined or jailed. But it's a fucking dumb business decision and I hope he goes close to bankruptcy or cops anger from customers, and then maybe he will realise that not making a cake for a gay couple because you think God's gonna start smiting is stupidest thing anyone could ever do.
cobl04 is offline  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:48 AM   #673
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,275
Local Time: 07:46 AM
But shit, INDY, if that's the best defence you can come up with for the "consequences" of same-sex marriage then you're on thin ice my friend. Weak.

But I still say - if a SSM opponent could show me the terrible consequences that have occurred in the Netherlands, or NZ, or whatever, then I am very open to changing my mind. After all, if these consequences are going to be so bad, maybe us proponents have been wrong all along.
cobl04 is offline  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:58 AM   #674
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Kony Island Baby
Posts: 10,244
Local Time: 06:46 AM
Well in Indy500's ideal world there would be no minimum wage, so I guess the baker could get on that race to the bottom. The market is king and money is all.
Kieran McConville is offline  
Old 01-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #675
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Kony Island Baby
Posts: 10,244
Local Time: 06:46 AM
Seriously, and not to be overly cranky even though I am anyway, but this is not the 1960s civil rights amendment. This won't put any party in the wilderness for a generation (well, maybe the GOP but don't count on it, and not for this reason). It's a no brainer and it's going to happen. Cities will not burn, presidents will not resign in despair.
Kieran McConville is offline  
Old 01-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #676
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Same sex marriage is a bad thing. It is going to have very negative impacts on
on society. I don't care if homosexuals do civil contracts, but redefining the
definition of marriage is wrong.

Dennis Prager has written much on his opposition.

Oh you're real libertarian friends must be ashamed.
BVS is offline  
Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #677
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
But his RELIGIOUS BELIEFS are under attack! Can you imagine how personally violated he must feel having to abide by Colorado's clear anti-discrimination laws? Much, much worse than forcing a woman to have a transvaginal ultrasound.
The baker is a man. HE gets to make the decisions. Sheesh, Irvine.
martha is offline  
Old 01-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #678
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,473
Local Time: 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I don't think he should be forced to and I don't think he should be fined or jailed. But it's a fucking dumb business decision and I hope he goes close to bankruptcy or cops anger from customers, and then maybe he will realise that not making a cake for a gay couple because you think God's gonna start smiting is stupidest thing anyone could ever do.

Colorado has anti-discrimination laws, and therefore by refusing to do business to a certain customer on the basis of their sexual orientation, he is breaking the law. He couldn't refuse to bake a cake for an interracial couple on religious grounds either. Not all states have these protections in place.

Good discussions can be had on the necessity or efficacy of these laws, but what is true is that this baker is breaking the law.

For me, when we get our cake, I wouldn't give my money to anyone who didn't want to bake us a cake. And I don't think this is necessarily a good idea, from a strategy standpoint.

But the fact remains that you can't refuse to do business with a customer on the basis of race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation in colorado.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #679
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 10:46 PM
I don't think he should be forced either, I'll go to a different baker. But if it's the law in that state, he should obey it or move to a different state...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #680
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,266
Local Time: 04:46 PM
A few of my final thoughts:

First, one of my best friends in high school and college was homosexual. He knew my view on this, but his sexual orientation was never an issue in our friendship. Charles passed away several years ago. I miss him greatly. He was a real friend.

I have a cousin who is a lesbian. We are great friends and she has always been loved and accepted in my family. Like Charles, her sexual orientation has never come between our love and friendship.

My opposition to SSM is based on my religious belief and the traditional view of marriage that societies have held a long time This is the first time in history the definition of marriage has been changed.

Some here dismissed Dennis Prager's comments because they were written ten years ago. Are we to ignore books, essays, and other works because of when they were created?

Monogamy is not usually the norm among gay couples. You can find some online sites that will disagree, but I think having more than one partner is an accepted aspect of the gay community. And yes, statistics do show that over half of married heterosexual couples engage in extramarital relationships, but it not accepted as a normal part of the relationship.

You can read stories online of adults who were raised in same sex families. I will post one link because a few here requested some evidence. Growing Up With Two Moms: The Untold Children’s View | Public Discourse

Some here have said my opposition is wrong or should be silenced because a majority of society are now accepting SSM. To me it is a very scary idea to embrace the view on a subject because it is the view of a majority. History is awash with examples where the view of the majority was very wrong.

Please remember, in voicing my opposition, I am attacking the idea, not the person.
__________________

the iron horse is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×