Same Sex Marriage Thread-Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ. Don't scroll down the link if you're even slightly faint of heart.

‘A rebel announced that Mohamed Baashi, along with a man who had been accused of murder, had both confessed to their crimes.’

The man accused of murder was allegedly shot to death.

‘This is the day of justice,’ the group quote the judge as saying. ‘We investigated, and this man did what Muslims shouldn’t do.

‘As a result, he will be stoned to death and the one that killed someone will be shot because homosexuality is more punishable in Islam.’

Gay teen ‘stoned to death’ in Somalia | Gay Star News

Heinous as that was, I'm not surprised that radical Muslims would be so barbaric toward gays. If they treat their women like second class citizens and stone them over the slightest rumor that their wife, sister or daughter is not a virgin, why should we be expect that gay people would be treated any better? It will take eons for Muslim extremists to even consider gay rights, or perhaps never. They're just not ignorant; I think they're just batshit insane.

you know how we've talked about how conservatives appear to have a compassion/empathy deficit?

Saxby Chambliss: 'I'm Not Gay. So I'm Not Going To Marry One.'
The Huffington Post | By Luke Johnson
Posted: 03/21/2013 9:26 am EDT | Updated: 03/21/2013 10:20 am EDT

Retiring Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.) said that he won't be following Sen. Rob Portman's (R-Ohio) recent support for gay marriage.

"I’m not gay. So I’m not going to marry one," he told Politico in an article published Thursday.

Chambliss' curt non-sequitur may illustrate how long it will take for other Republican senators to back gay marriage. Portman, the first GOP senator to do so, said his support was a result of his son's coming out; he wanted his son to have the same right to marry as straight people have, he said. Portman's decision, which came three days before former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's announcement that she also supported gay marriage, was unexpected given his conservatism and past opposition to it.

Portman said earlier this week that he didn't think his GOP colleagues were rethinking the issue. However, he said they supported him. "I thanked them, because I've had a number of people come up and express personal support for me and my family. And that's what I talked about. I circulated the op-ed so everybody saw it in my words," he said.

When asked by HuffPost whether he wished it didn't have to require a personal experience to change his views, he responded, "Well, it did," and adding that he was more focused on economic issues.

then again, this is a man who trashed a man who lost 3 limbs in Vietnam in order to win office, when he himself avoided Vietnam via medical deferments, so there's that.

Heinous as that was, I'm not surprised that radical Muslims would be so barbaric toward gays. If they treat their women like second class citizens and stone them over the slightest rumor that their wife, sister or daughter is not a virgin, why should we be expect that gay people would be treated any better? It will take eons for Muslim extremists to even consider gay rights, or perhaps never. They're just not ignorant; I think they're just batshit insane.

Yeah, I don't think these extremists are ever accepting it. Same with the orthodox christians or jews. But I don't think that'll be an issue in the future. Because orthodox relious peple are a dying breed. People aren't going to church every day, they don't listen to what the father/imam has to say as much anymore, people are more and more starting to think for themselves!

I think that survey is an example of that. Most young people these days are much more free of mind, they don't share the extreme views their grandparents or sometimes even parents have. They don't follow a book literally anymore. Sure, religion will always exist, and it's probably good that it is. But I hope that one day the people who take a book for the absolute truth, and hate and kill others for not following their book, will cease to exist.

Yeah, I don't think these extremists are ever accepting it. Same with the orthodox christians or jews. But I don't think that'll be an issue in the future. Because orthodox relious peple are a dying breed. People aren't going to church every day, they don't listen to what the father/imam has to say as much anymore, people are more and more starting to think for themselves!

I think that survey is an example of that. Most young people these days are much more free of mind, they don't share the extreme views their grandparents or sometimes even parents have. They don't follow a book literally anymore. Sure, religion will always exist, and it's probably good that it is. But I hope that one day the people who take a book for the absolute truth, and hate and kill others for not following their book, will cease to exist.

I agree. I think the world, or at least the developed world, is heading towards less religion and more spirituality which I think is what God had in mind all along.

Psst...I don't know how it is in Holland, but the term "orthodox" usually refers to Eastern Christians, like the Greeks and Russians. I'm just pointing that out because I was confused with your post at first :)

I think there are about 7 billion people on the planet
lots of different belief systems, cultures. I am not going to sit here in sunny California and assume that from my vantage point and personal experiences I can extrapolate what will happen globally. But from reading, and seeking out multiple sources of information, I can say that in at least 1/2 the the places on the globe things are not getting better anytime soon. Belief systems are powerful things and there are new adherents every day.

Oh, sorry that's a mistranslation then. Ehm, here orthodox is the word we use for extremist religion. :lol: I thought it was a word we stole from English, apparently not.

The consensus prediction seems to be that Prop 8 and DOMA are gone, and the states will decide the rest.

A glance through all but the most socially conservative websites and a listen to the talk shows this weekend reveals that the GOP thought infrastructure is prepping their base to embrace SSM. They know its a losing issue for them, now and for the future.

it could go that way

then in a few years, we will have boycotted states, like what happened with MLK Jr. day.
Nevada and FL would flip in a hurry

These polls are interesting, a snap poll won't change laws in these 30 plus states that have banned gay marriage. The people that show up and vote in these 30 red states elect GOP Governors and state legislators.

I do think the Portman flip did influence many Ohioans.

Interesting in that gay and straight, religious and secular, conservative and leftist, can all join together against same-sex marriage in Paris because France has rejected the ad hominem attack of "homophobe" as a way of silencing and intimidating all opposition to the legal and moral recognition of same-sex marriage.

"Un père et une mère, c'est élémentaire" is a simple, secular, non-partisan argument against gay marriage but you'll hear it from only "far-right extremists" and "haters" in North America.

"Un père et une mère, c'est élémentaire" is a simple, secular, non-partisan argument against gay marriage but you'll hear it from only "far-right extremists" and "haters" in North America.

Why aren't the same arguments being used against single parents then? Where are the protests against single parents?

And though I've asked many people many times no one yet has been able to answer why children need a mother and father and anything else is an abomination.

Also, I can't read any other languages (which is probably the most 'MERICAN fact about me), so I didn't understand half of that post. Though I'm sure it was meant to be condescending.

From the article:

Polls indicate a shrinking majority of French voters back gay marriage, which is legal in about a dozen mostly European nations and some U.S. states. But polls show French voters are less enthusiastic about adoption by same-sex couples.

I wonder why. Usually the opposite happens, and I get the impression that France isn't exactly a conservative country (correct me if I'm wrong).

Interesting in that gay and straight, religious
and secular, conservative and leftist, can all join together against same-sex marriage in Paris because France has rejected the ad hominem attack of "homophobe" as a way of silencing and intimidating all opposition to the legal and moral recognition of same-sex marriage.

I'm sure I read the same article as you did. Where did it say that everyone is against SSM?

Interesting in that gay and straight, religious and secular, conservative and leftist, can all join together against same-sex marriage in Paris because France has rejected the ad hominem attack of "homophobe" as a way of silencing and intimidating all opposition to the legal and moral recognition of same-sex marriage.

"Hundreds of thousands of people — conservative activists, children, retirees, priests"

Shut the fuck up with your pseudo-victim act. You're embarrassing yourself. You're the aggressor in this issue. Did you even read the article? Or are you blinded by your hatred?

And how is that slogan any different than the shit you guys spout? Or is it the fancy foreign language you're impressed by?

We're talking about SSM. Not SS adoption or parenting.

If you'd like to argue against loving couples adopting children and bringing them into homes where they will be loved and cherished because if the lack of penis-in-vagina intercourse, please go ahead and do so, but since marriage does not require children it seems rather misplaced.

I will say that I am as well tied of homophobe. Lets just call them assholes and be honest about it.

From the article:

I wonder why. Usually the opposite happens, and I get the impression that France isn't exactly a conservative country (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm sure I read the same article as you did. Where did it say that everyone is against SSM?

While Europeans tend to be economically more liberal than North Americans, they can be culturally (not religiously) quite conservative. Especially when it comes to gender.

Also, what has really helped SSM in the US is that it's been argued and debates about since 2003. Every time we make an argument, we win more hearts and minds. Every time someone comes out, more hearts and minds are won. The arguments and logic is on our side.

Irvine511 said:
While Europeans tend to be economically more liberal than North Americans, they can be culturally (not religiously) quite conservative. Especially when it comes to gender.

Also, what has really helped SSM in the US is that it's been argued and debates about since 2003. Every time we make an argument, we win more hearts and minds. Every time someone comes out, more hearts and minds are won. The arguments and logic is on our side.

Thanks Irvine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom