Same Sex Marriage Thread-Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gay people are a race now? Wow. That's news to me, but I guess, like you, I don't know what I'm talking about, either. I feel like I need to send them a dictionary with the word "minority" highlighted/circled/tabbed/what have you.

Yeah, these are family members who, to be perfectly honest, were never the brightest around. So mix that with obsessive homophobia, and voila!

INDY500 said:
And we could never find any such ad hominem posts about relgious defenders of tradition marriage on the internet could we?

You mean the Christofascists?

The difference is that some of us are legally discriminated against and often the target of emotional and physical abuse, often by the people who are supposed to love us the most.

Others imagine such persecution.

And some simply use this issue as a way to culturally self-define, whichnisnapparently more important than living thy neighbor as one's self.

I know one thing - they won't think much of traditional marriage or morality.

I found that the most hilarious one of all. I mean, how does liberal movement change this? People already think SHITE of traditional marriage these days, they marry and divorce just as easily. So what exactly do gays have to do with this? I'd love to see some comparisons of numbers. Divorce rates for straight and gay couples. Wanna bet which one is higher? :D

Yesterday was a pretty great day across the board for progressive social issues. It was not that long ago that every ballot initiative re: SSM was lost - in deep red states and even in blue states. Hard-fought battles were almost always lost, there was an influx of money/manpower from various religious groups and affiliated entities and so on. The last couple of years also saw Republican state legislatures imposing insane restrictive abortion laws left, right and centre. Ditto for immigration laws.

All of that was repudiated strongly last night. Every time that a SSM initiative lost at the ballot I said that while it was too bad, the other side was comprised of a dying breed of people. And we had the best ally on our side - time. Time waits for no man. We who are in our teens, 20s, 30s support SSM (and other progressive social issues) by a wide margin. We went to school with gays and lesbians, we call them our friends, our business partners, our coworkers. We have watched them build strong relationships, buy houses with their partners, marry them in states where they could and we have not seen our rights erode nor our societies fall into disrepair.

If you are against SSM today, that is your prerogative, but you have lost. Rightfully so. It really is over.

I don't think it's just younger people. My Mom is a senior citizen and a raised old school Catholic, and she supports it. That makes me proud.

I think she would have anyway but she did meet some gay people who were her co-workers when she was working. One woman was in a long term relationship, and the single guy well I have never heard her rave about a man the way she raved about him. Except for the guy she was really in love with years ago and should have married, he's the only one who even comes close. She was all nervous about Romney winning too, she said the thought of it made her gag. I told her about my (fortunately wrong) feeling that he was going to win and she flipped out.

I think it's over too. A rising tide.

In just two days, several victories for gays and for those who fight for the LGBT which means some losses to the reactionary and homophobic institutions and social strats:
1) The Spanish Constitutional Court rejected yesterday the appeal filed seven years ago by the Popular Party (the right-wing which is the remnants of the "Franco"), now in power, against the law allowing gay marriage;
2) The French government approved today by the Cabinet a proposal for marriage and adoption of children by homosexual couples;

Adding this to the Maine and Maryland decisions, as well as the election of Wisconsin's Tammy Baldwin, it was a great couple of days for those who just want to be treated equally to the others.

Yesterday was a pretty great day across the board for progressive social issues. It was not that long ago that every ballot initiative re: SSM was lost - in deep red states and even in blue states. Hard-fought battles were almost always lost, there was an influx of money/manpower from various religious groups and affiliated entities and so on. The last couple of years also saw Republican state legislatures imposing insane restrictive abortion laws left, right and centre. Ditto for immigration laws.

All of that was repudiated strongly last night. Every time that a SSM initiative lost at the ballot I said that while it was too bad, the other side was comprised of a dying breed of people. And we had the best ally on our side - time. Time waits for no man. We who are in our teens, 20s, 30s support SSM (and other progressive social issues) by a wide margin. We went to school with gays and lesbians, we call them our friends, our business partners, our coworkers. We have watched them build strong relationships, buy houses with their partners, marry them in states where they could and we have not seen our rights erode nor our societies fall into disrepair.

If you are against SSM today, that is your prerogative, but you have lost. Rightfully so. It really is over.

In just two days, several victories for gays and for those who fight for the LGBT which means some losses to the reactionary and homophobic institutions and social strats:
1) The Spanish Constitutional Court rejected yesterday the appeal filed seven years ago by the Popular Party (the right-wing which is the remnants of the "Franco"), now in power, against the law allowing gay marriage;
2) The French government approved today by the Cabinet a proposal for marriage and adoption of children by homosexual couples;

Adding this to the Maine and Maryland decisions, as well as the election of Wisconsin's Tammy Baldwin, it was a great couple of days for those who just want to be treated equally to the others.

:up:

it does feel as if we've reached a tipping point.

look for NJ and CA and maybe OR to follow in the next few years.

i'd love to see VA's hideous anti-gay laws repealed soon.

Still waiting for WA results. :( Sounds like it might not be final until Friday.

I'm hopeful, but very disappointed that it wasn't an easy, clear victory.

I have a local friend who's already celebrating, but I can't seem to find confirmation.

Only 62% of the votes are in so far, per the Seattle Times, and I haven't seen any official news from the pro- or anti camp.

:up: Times they are indeed a changing.

Some people may need more time than others, but more and more people are starting to accept that their traditional values are maybe not quite right. That gays are, in fact, human beings that deserve equal rights.

anitram said:

:up: great post.

There are 2,500 people working in this building; probably over half are women. I have to start small with my teammates before I can expand my sexual outreach.

In all seriousness, it felt really good to hug my friend who now can marry her long-term partner.

:lol: at this last page.

So Washington's in there now, too, eh? Fantastic :up:.

This. It's time to let it go and move on now, anti-gay marriage people. It really is.

And they can't even complain about "activist judges" or politicians this time around. They kept insisting, "Let the people decide, let the people decide!"

Well, they did. So now what do you say, conservatives?

I really do wonder, did the anti-gay marriage side honestly never even consider the possibility that "the people" might one day NOT vote their way?

got to give credit where credit is due

1337256000000.cached.png

and I do believe his position was a winner at the polls for him

about time decency and success get to share the same cab :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom