Same Sex Marriage Thread-Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to think INDY either knows he's wrong to be against LGBTs and is afraid to admit it because he'll realize all that he believes in would be wrong too, or he harbors some very strong homophobia and won't voice them here or else he'll be banned. That's my theory anyway.

it's an opportunity to feel sanctimonious. it's been twisted to the point where my being gay is a violation of religious freedom.

I resent the Boston "values" being in quotes. We do have values here- because they're not yours Indy,they're not any less valid. Guess what, I have Christian values too. Happen to think they're pretty good.

I agree that equality is liberty, don't think you can have true liberty without it.

it's been twisted to the point where my being gay is a violation of religious freedom.

It is quite interesting how the talking points have changed since this has become a national debate. For years they tried to sell us the "it will destroy the sanctity of marriage" and then they realized that they were doing that from within, so then they just argued a vague moral standing, but soon got frustrated with the fact that they had nothing but a distorted religious reason and that wouldn't stand. So now we have the "you're violating my religious freedom" argument.

It would almost be comical if you forgot about how their ignorance actually effects the rights of humans in this country.

Equality is at worst downright evil and at best counterproductive.

Just meant to stir? I have a hard time any decent human being actually believes this shite.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

I'm starting to think INDY either knows he's wrong to be against LGBTs and is afraid to admit it because he'll realize all that he believes in would be wrong too, or he harbors some very strong homophobia and won't voice them here or else he'll be banned. That's my theory anyway.

What does "against LGBTs" mean?

I think created equal means you don't have to earn it.

Yes, and it should, but I am trying to get across the difference between equality of outcome and equality of opportunity. I think that gay marriage can be easily encompassed into the quote above from the constitution. But sometimes the left seem to want to legislate to make everyone equal in every way. That's why I start objecting when the word "equality" is thrown around.

Yes, and it should, but I am trying to get across the difference between equality of outcome and equality of opportunity. I think that gay marriage can be easily encompassed into the quote above from the constitution. But sometimes the left seem to want to legislate to make everyone equal in every way. That's why I start objecting when the word "equality" is thrown around.

i don't think this point has anything at all to do with what's being talked about.

we're talking about equality in the eyes of the law for same sex couples.

perhaps you meant this for the the Mitt Rmoney thread?

i don't think this point has anything at all to do with what's being talked about.

we're talking about equality in the eyes of the law for same sex couples.

perhaps you meant this for the the Mitt Rmoney thread?

Someone brought in the issue of equality vs liberty and someone else slyly accused another poster of homophobia without furnishing any evidence whatsoever. But, hey, it's FYM, after all.

So, with respect it doesn't belong in the Mitt Romney thread, the debate was being broadened out before I arrived - I decided to broaden it out further.

You're talking more about the Republican class warfare type of "equality". You're falling for a boogey man.

we're talking about legal equality.

And I'm talking about how when we conflate equality with liberty, it's a slippery slope to forcing everyone to be equal, by hook or by crook. And there's a lot of historical examples for this, let's face it.

Someone brought in the issue of equality vs liberty and someone else slyly accused another poster of homophobia without furnishing any evidence whatsoever. But, hey, it's FYM, after all.

So, with respect it doesn't belong in the Mitt Romney thread, the debate was being broadened out before I arrived - I decided to broaden it out further.

that's probably why you missed not just the point but the topic entirely. trying to point score when you don't even know where the goal is often backfires. but, hey, it's FYM, after all.

financeguy said:
Well, indeed. Created equal. Equal of opportunity - not of outcome.

To believe that there is even the slightest semblance of equality of opportunity in the United States is completely absurd. And the fact that many conservatives believe that these is one of the thing that irks me most about conservative economic reasoning. But that's another story.

To believe that there is even the slightest semblance of equality of opportunity in the United States is completely absurd.

Indeed, and I have posted many, many threads drawing attention to the accretion of political and economic power to an elitist oligarchy - what is popularly, though wrongly, called the one percenters.

i have almost 25,000 posts. what do you think?

let me know when you've got the context for "equality" sorted, then we can continue.

You do know that tens of millions of Christians every week do indeed line up to serve the homeless, right? Feed the hungry? Pray with the sick? Advocate on behalf of health care for the poorest amongst us? Are you positive that a few of the people who lined up as a calm, peaceful protest about an issue they care about deeply aren't also lining up regularly to feed the poor and homeless?

That's great. But, as noted, why do I not hear Huckabee or Bachmann talking about that stuff? Why do I only hear from them when they're talking about some "assault" on our country's "Christian values", why do I only hear from them when they're out making big protests against homosexuality?

I don't understand how someone can have compassion for the poor and homeless, but can't seem to extend that same compassion to gay people who are being denied their civil rights.

I don't understand why gay people getting married bothers some out there so much. I don't understand why they think it's their place to dictate someone else's love life, to tell them who they can and cannot marry. Who died and gave you the power to make such a decision?

And I'm STILL waiting to hear how any person who values the concept of personal liberty and small government interference can then turn around and restrict, or support government officials who can restrict, other people's lives like this. Please tell me how exactly one is able to reconcile those beliefs, 'cause it's a real mystery to me.

As a Christian-conservative, I don't think there should be gay marriage, yet I think gay people should be allowed to marry.

Caleb8844 said:
As a Christian-conservative, I don't think there should be gay marriage, yet I think gay people should be allowed to marry.

So you don't agree with a practice because of your religion but respect the fact that this country cannot be governed according to a certain segment's personal beliefs? I like this concept.

i've grown increasingly impatient with the notion that legal equality for same-sex couples is a complex or troubling or confusing issue. it isn't.

what is complex or troubling or confusing is disabusing people of the deeply held conviction that there is something inherently wrong with gay people. that their relationships must necessarily be distinguished and degraded. and in fact some of these people are, themselves, gay who have internalized homophobia to such an extent.

issues about procreation, parenting, religious freedoms, "it's not who you are but what you do" etc. these are smokescreens for the real issue which is accepting difference -- and historically despised difference -- as having equal worth.

it's not confusing at all. we make ourselves confused to live with our prejudices.

and i can live with this.

you're allowing your religion to dictate to you those of us who are equal to you, and those of us who aren't. i assume if your religion said there shouldn't be interracial marriage, you'd feel the same way.

but you don't think that your religious convictions override other people's civil rights, and therefore you feel that in a free society we sometimes have to live with things we disagree with because it isn't society's job to endorse and coddle our every last belief.

again, i can live with this. no one has to like me. but i do have to be treated equally.

So you don't agree with a practice because of your religion but respect the fact that this country cannot be governed according to a certain segment's personal beliefs? I like this concept.

Exactly. And, as for the religion argument, I just finished ranting about "Bible-believing Christians" using Leviticus as a basis for their arguments. If I hear one more person reference that, there will be blood. It's ignorant, and it makes me look ignorant by association.

But yes, there are arguments in the Bible against homosexuality. There are arguments against lying as well. Arguments against premarital sex and divorce abound, as well.

The minute the government begins to legislate morality is the minute morality loses worth, and the people lose freedom.

and i can live with this.

you're allowing your religion to dictate to you those of us who are equal to you, and those of us who aren't. i assume if your religion said there shouldn't be interracial marriage, you'd feel the same way.

but you don't think that your religious convictions override other people's civil rights, and therefore you feel that in a free society we sometimes have to live with things we disagree with because it isn't society's job to endorse and coddle our every last belief.

again, i can live with this. no one has to like me. but i do have to be treated equally.

I think you're no better or worse than I am. If we legislated based on Biblical principles, I'd have many restrictions on my liberty, as well. I'm glad we don't.

I can respect this stance. It gives me hope that the next generation of conservatives will look back and see that this generation was wrong.

I hope that someday you identify yourself as a Christian, rather than a Christian-conservative, the conservative movement has done far too much damage perverting the message of Jesus.

Maybe another day we can have a discussion about "homosexuality" in the Bible and how if you study the origins a little further you understand that it has nothing to do with homosexual relationships of today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom