Same Sex Marriage Thread-Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that his Christianity played second fiddle to his mental state, but whatever you like

I'd say it's an indication on how ridiculous it is to be having a debate on same sex marriage in 2012

INDY500 said:
So why isn't this "among the more offensive, nasty posts in this thread"? I see no disclaimers or effort to disassociate present day conservatives from the Nazis lurking in the shadows of right-wing history.

What? Go read again. Given the extreme tolerance I show your shocking posts comparing my life to incest, you at least owe me that.

INDY500 said:
But, in the current, lazy rewriting of history Nazi Germany must be right-wing because they liked big guns and invaded Russia and Joseph Stalin (the definition of Left).

And this is hilarious in that its the definition of lazy rewriting.

France Proposes Banning Words 'Mother' And 'Father' From Government Documents As Part Of Gay Marriage Legalization

France Proposes Banning Words 'Mother' And 'Father' From Government Documents As Part Of Gay Marriage Legalization

France could very well become the next nation to legalize same-sex marriage, but lawmakers have reportedly gone a step further with a proposal that could ban the use of the words "mother" and "father" from all government documents.

The Telegraph cites the draft law as specifying that "marriage is a union of two people, of different or the same gender," and also states that all references to "mothers and fathers" in the nation's civil code will be swapped for the non-gender-specific "parents." In addition, the law would also give equal adoption rights to same-sex couples, the publication notes.

France’s Justice Minister Christiane Taubira is quoted as telling French newspaper La Croix, "Who is to say that a heterosexual couple will bring a child up better than a homosexual couple, that they will guarantee the best conditions for the child's development? What is certain is that the interest of the child is a major preoccupation for the government."

Not surprisingly, the move has incensed France's Catholic population, who last month revived a centuries-old custom with an updated national prayer that included references to both same-sex marriage and euthanasia reforms that are currently being planned by the government. Last week, Cardinal Philippe Barbarin warned followers that legalized incest and polygamy could potentially follow if same-sex couples earn the right to wed.

"Gay marriage would herald a complete breakdown in society," he is quoted by the Daily Mail as saying during a radio interview. "This could have innumerable consequences. Afterward they will want to create couples with three or four members. And after that, perhaps one day the taboo of incest will fall."

The draft law will be reportedly be presented to President Francois Hollande's cabinet for approval on Oct. 31. Same-sex and heterosexual civil unions, which offer limited benefits for couples, have been legal in France since 1999, Reuters reports

:| Spinning the world "forward" towards incertitude and vagueness.

:| Spinning the world "forward" towards incertitude and vagueness.

What do you mean?

If incertitude and vaguness were your concern, surely you wouldn't want legislation referencing a mother when the child's guardians are two fathers. If anything would lead to legal uncertainty...

A mother and a father remain the same beings and have the same title in all other ways, do they not? Yes I think that's probably being done just for legal reasons.

A mother and a father remain the same beings and have the same title in all other ways, do they not? Yes I think that's probably being done just for legal reasons.

Oh, no, no, it must actually SAY whether or not they're the mother or father on the documents, otherwise people will...be too stupid and/or confused to figure out who's whom, I guess, or something. I dunno.

Anywho, that's France's decision :shrug:. Whoop-de-doo.

Damnit! Tasmania's marriage equality bill passed the lower house, but it failed in the upper house today, 5-9.

Over to you, WA or SA or NSW.

Scratch that - the reports that the vote had taken place were apparently jumping the gun. Debate's been adjourned without a vote, but already 8 of the fifteen members of the Tassie Legislative Council have said they'll vote against it. 6 will support it, one is unknown. So best to hope for is that it'll go down by a single vote, 7-8 ... or even better, someone completely cocks up.

I'll say this about the votes going on in some of the Australian parliaments these days; cold comfort though it might seem, it wasn't that many years ago you'd have struggled to get a single 'yea'. Times do change.

The world could easily not spin at all and we'd still be stuck to it. Let's not get carried away with our planetary metaphors guys.

I'll say this about the votes going on in some of the Australian parliaments these days; cold comfort though it might seem, it wasn't that many years ago you'd have struggled to get a single 'yea'. Times do change.

Yeah, wasn't there a marriage equality vote a few years back that didn't get a single yes apart from the handful of Greens Senators?

Now at least a majority of the ALP is with the times, and at least a few Libs too. The Nats are a write-off, but when haven't they been?

The world only spins forward. Even with the Coriolis Effect.

:lol:

for a different perspective on gay marriage and parenting, here's Rupert Everett:

"For me, being gay was about wanting to do the opposite of the straight world, so I think that's where my problems in this particular area come from. For me, personally, the last thing I would like in the entire world would be to go through cocktailing my sperm with my boyfriend and finding some grim couple in Ohio who are gluten-free and who you pay $75,000 to have your baby. To me it feels absolutely hideous. But that's me, just me. I'm not having a go at gay couples who do. I think if Elton and David want to have babies, that's wonderful. I think we should all do what we want. Isn't there a middle way, where you can just say, 'Not for me, but it doesn't matter'? But no, everything's sort of turned into al-Qaida. I'm sure I'm going to be nail-bombed. David Furnish is probably going to send Patrick Cox with a bomb and blow up the theatre."

also ...

"Why do queens want to go and get married in churches? Obviously this crusty old pathetic, Anglican church – the most joke-ish church of all jokey churches – of course they don't want to have queens getting married. It's kind of understandable that they don't; they're crusty old calcified freaks. But why do we want to get married in churches? I don't understand that, myself, personally. I loathe heterosexual weddings; I would never go to a wedding in my life. I loathe the flowers, I loathe the fucking wedding dress, the little bridal tiara. It's grotesque. It's just hideous. The wedding cake, the party, the champagne, the inevitable divorce two years later. It's just a waste of time in the heterosexual world, and in the homosexual world I find it personally beyond tragic that we want to ape this institution that is so clearly a disaster."

i'm fine with all this. different strokes for different folks.

the bottom line is freedom.

He just seems very cynical about marriage, I am too so I get that. And obviously he has a right to be an individual and to express that sentiment. But this is what he said before at "I can't think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads... Some people might not agree with that. Fine! That's just my opinion." He said he wasn't speaking for the entire gay community, but I just think that's unfair to the kids of those men. They aren't choosing their parents, exactly like any kids of two straight parents aren't. So I think they have enough to deal with without hearing things like that.

He can say it's just not for him and he absolutely should if that's how he feels (nothing worse than having kids because that's just what you're supposed to do), but that's not what he originally said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...gay-dads_n_1926703.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices

Rupert Everett Receives Death Threats After Criticizing Gay Parenting

Huffington Post

Bruce Springsteen has been an outspoken advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights for some time, but now "The Boss" has gone a step further by starring in a social media push for marriage equality.

The 63-year-old rocker is the star of a new campaign by The Four 2012, which is focused on passing same-sex marriage ballot measures in Maine, Maryland, Minnesota and Washington this November.

After quoting former New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine's earlier description of marriage equality as "a civil rights issue that must be approved to assure that every citizen is treated equally under the law," Springsteen notes in the ad, "I couldn't agree more with that statement and urge those who support equal treatment for our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters to let their voices be heard now."

As a number of media outlets have noted, the quote is actually taken from a blog penned by Springsteen in 2009. But the singer is said to not have objected to its re-use as part of the campaign.

As to why an extra social media push is necessary this November, The Four 2012 co-founder Brian Ellner told USA Today: "We have never won one of these votes of the people. This is really a moment to make a statement."

o-BRUCE-SPRINGSTEEN-GAY-MARRIAGE-AD-570.jpg

Cool :up:.

I've been seeing ads about the gay marriage thing in Minnesota on the stations from there that we get here. So far I've seen only pro-gay marriage ones, I have yet to see the ones talking about how society will fall apart if we let gay people get married.

Here's hoping those states soon join those of us who legalized same sex marriage.

A few months back I posted something about how if Obama took a pro-gay rights stance on same-sex marriage I would register to vote. Well, I officially got the papers back today and I am a registered voter in the state of Pennsylvania, so, that's a thing.

Well if you register you have to vote in this election-just my opinion.

As cynical as I am about govt and all politicians I still get a thrill when I vote. I appreciate the right and never take it for granted. Especially as a woman, because we had to lobby for a right that should have been a birthright.

Imagine if Jesus comes back and goes "you don't let gay people get married? What the fuck is wrong with you all? You've been fucking this up for 2012 years!"

Far more likely than Jesus coming back and having lunch with Brian Brown and Maggie Gallagher to thank them for all their hard work.

I think Jesus would find most of conservative politicized American Christianity abhorrent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom