Same Sex Marriage Thread-Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PhilsFan said:
Legally, marriage is about the sharing of assets, so, yes, governments should define what a legal marriage is, and they should define it is two consenting adults. Polygamy is completely impractical from a legal point of view.

Bingo

NOW I get why we shouldn't allow gay marriage.

A10kaAFCQAAud66.jpg:large

:scratch:

Doesn't help the anti-SSM argument to me.

I was referring to the Hartzler's comment, not yours :)

Errrrrr, isn't the whole point of the marriage based on a loving commitment(be it between man/woman or ssm), or am I being an incredibly stupid agnostic idiot here? :scratch:

Couldnt you sub in divorce for ssm and not change anything in her argument? Why arent straight married couples throwing a fit at divorce!! Don't we hear "til death do us part?"

How does she feel about someone like Newt? Being married three or four times kind of devalues the sanctity of marriage

Couldnt you sub in divorce for ssm and not change anything in her argument? Why arent straight married couples throwing a fit at divorce!! Don't we hear "til death do us part?"

How does she feel about someone like Newt? Being married three or four times kind of devalues the sanctity of marriage

Yes, I can think of several examples where a Republican has had someone else "enter their marriage." Democrats too, to be fair, but still...

Crappy acting. Even more crappier message.

Why is being against gay marriage considered being about values? What sort of values? Aren't love and equality values?

Okay, few things here:

1, Obama came out in support of gay marriage and...that's it. He hasn't pushed for any federal law legalizing it nationwide or anything, so where this "forcing gay marriage" BS is coming from, I don't know (and in the areas it is legal, no straight people have yet to be "forced" into anything, so...there's that little factoid, too).
2, "this isn't the change I voted for". What? Gay marriage is being treated the same way now that it was before Obama came into office, save for a couple more states personally deciding to agree to marry same-sex couples in that time period. And if you voted for Obama looking for change and yet are against gay marriage then...yeah, I'm really confused by that line.
3, the hell's with the forlorn music and the woman looking all distressed? Overdramatic much?

And I've never understood the "values" crap, either. Last I checked, discrimination didn't strike me as something to value, as something good and moral, but apparently I need to start thinking backwards or something.

Dr. Mark Craddock of Sydney, who is also a member of the Exclusive Brethren Christian Fellowship sect, prescribed an 18-year-old man who was also part of the sect with the drug after he came out as gay, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.
In a letter to the NSW Health Care Complaints Commission, the unnamed man, who is now 24, said that when he came out as gay, a church leader told him ''there's medication you can go on." He continued, ''He recommended that I speak to Dr Craddock on the matter with a view to my being placed on medication to help me with my 'problem','' the New Zealand resident said, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.
The teen went to visit the 75-year-old doctor who then prescribed him with a "gay cure": the anti-androgen therapy cyproterone acetate, sold under the brand name Cyprostat, along with five repeats, according to ninemsn. He said the doctor did not refer him to a psychologist or discuss the drug's side effects.
Cyprostat is a form of hormone therapy used to treat prostate cancer. The drug will "work by stopping testosterone from reaching the cancer cells. Without testosterone the prostate cancer cells are not able to grow," according to the UK's Prostate Cancer Charity. Hormone suppressants have been used to "chemically castrate" sex offenders, the Guardian notes.

Mark Craddock, Christian Sect Doctor, Banned For Prescribing 'Gay Cure' Drug Used For Castration

:sigh:

Burns is a Democrat

By Robert Klemko, USA TODAY

OWINGS MILLS, MD. – Brendan Ayanbadejo wants to thank the Maryland legislator who wrote a letter to the Baltimore Ravens condemning the linebacker's support of gay marriage.

"I'd have to thank him more than anything for bringing national attention to the issue," Ayanbadejo said Friday.

The Ravens defender has long been one of pro sports' most vocal athletes for same-sex marriage rights in the U.S. In a letter dated Aug. 29, 2012 and addressed to Ravens owner Steve Biscotti, Emmert C. Burns Jr., a Democrat in the Maryland House of Delegates, writes that Ayanbadejo should be silenced.

"I find it inconceivable that one of your players, Mr. Brendon Ayanbadejo, would publicly endorse same-sex marriage, specifically as a Ravens football player," Burns writes.

"I am requesting that you take the necessary action, as a National Football League Owner, to inhibit such expressions from your employees and that he be ordered to cease and desist such injurious actions. I know of no other NFL player who has done what Mr. Ayanbadejo is doing." Um, wrong

Maryland lawmakers approved in March a measure that would allow same-sex marriage in 2013. The issue will be put to a popular vote this November.

Ayanbadejo, 36, is unique in his vocal support of same-sex marriage as an NFL player, but he says he's surprised a politician would suggest his free speech be suppressed. He says the Ravens have said nothing to him about his stance, but he has received some "high-fives" and "kudos" around the team's headquarters here.

"I was surprised. It's what our country was founded on," he says of his free speech rights. "For somebody to try to take that away from me I was pretty surprised, from a politician especially.

"People get fired for saying the things that the delegate said. People lose their jobs for discrimination."

Should Burns be fired?

"I think that whoever voted for him has their right to vote for who they believe represents their values. And if he represents their values, he's the best person for the job. If Obama represents the best values for the country, he deserves the job."

Obama this year changed his stance on gay marriage, becoming the first sitting U.S. president to support it. Ayanbadejo began vocally supporting the cause in 2008, and says his issue isn't focused on homosexuals.

"Its an equality issue. I see the big picture," he says. "There was a time when women didn't have rights. Black people didn't have rights. Right now, gay rights is a big issue and it's been for a long time. We're slowly chopping down the barriers to equality."

The California high school and UCLA product has been encouraged by the support he's received on Twitter and Facebook. He says fans of the Steelers, Patriots, Bengals, Cowboys have congratulated him, among others. Even non-football fans say they now have a reason to watch and root for Baltimore.

"That feels good," he says. "Ultimately the goal is to be the best country we can be and we're always evolving. We've come a long way and still have a long way to go."

Ravens Support Brendon Ayanbadejo's Right To Speak

So I take it there's no other pressing issues in Maryland to be addressed then, right, if this Burns guy had the time to write a letter to a football player about some comments he made?

In short, Burns is a dumbass, and Ayanbadejo is a cool, smart guy. The fact that he's getting support for his stance is equally pleasing.

That is an awesome letter. Really negates the stereotype that some people have of professional athletes. Makes me proud that there are people like him in the NFL (and other sports), makes up for the "bad" ones.

He posted a cleaner version of the letter on his blog, and this is what he said about it. He sure has a way with words.

First off, let me say thank you to all the people that commented on my letter to Emmett C. Burns Jr. You all give me great hope for the human race; that one day we can rise up past the petty differences that divide us and realize we’re all in this together. Perhaps our children won’t look back on our stewardship with regret.

Secondly, I heard from quite a few sources (including my dad) that the letter would have been more powerful and delivered the message better without the swearing. That those who would refute the point could seize upon my colorful insults to dismiss the main thrust as little more than childish antics and egotistical displays of temper.

Bollocks.

The swearing is there for a reason. What Emmett C. Burns Jr. wrote, what I responded to, was far more disgusting and foul minded than any simple scatological reference or genital mashup. His words degrade the very essence of the English language with their barely hidden venom and intolerant hate; drag it screaming into the muck of iniquity by wrapping a mantle of seeming reasonableness around corruption and control; masquerade as discourse while screaming their very lie to any Heaven you care to name – I could go on.

My words? My words are a litmus test for those that would see the truth of a message rather than the package it’s delivered in. I won’t lie, it’s also because I personally find them entertaining to write and read (as do a large amount of other people), but those who would argue that my message means nothing simply because I’m referencing a portion of the male anatomy would never have accepted it anyway. They would have used other excuses, excuses like “Oh he’s just a punter”, or “What do you know, you just play football”, or “No one cares what you think you fag”.

No, my words are meant for those that might be on the fence, those that are initially drawn in due to shock, or laughter, or outrage, but then look at what lies beneath, the truth of the matter. Them I might reach, might offer a quick lightbulb flicker of “Ohhh, so that’s what’s wrong with that argument”. But those who don’t look, who don’t question, who happily treat the symptoms and not the disease – isn’t that the very problem with our politics today? No one is interested in what lies hidden in plain sight beneath what’s said; the glossy dung ball of intolerance and hate buffed to a lustrous gleam by rhetoric and catchphrases.

Lustful Cockmonster. That is amazing.

As a Green Bay Packers fan, I am contractually required to hate the Vikings at all time .... but that is fricking awesome.

“I have no experience with incest. We started thinking about that. We had heard a few stories where brothers and sisters were completely, absolutely in love with one another. You know what? This whole movie is about judgment, and lack of it, and doing what you want.
Who gives a shit if people judge you? I’m not saying this is an absolute but in a way, if you’re not having kids – who gives a damn? Love who you want. Isn’t that what we say? Gay marriage – love who you want? If it’s your brother or sister it’s super-weird, but if you look at it, you’re not hurting anybody except every single person who freaks out because you’re in love with one another.”

Nick Cassavetes Says Incest Isn't A Big Deal, Compares It To Gay Marriage & Asks 'Who Gives A Damn?'

This director may be looking to create controversy just to bring attention to his movie, but I am still appalled by his comments. Anyone who brings up bestiality, incest and what-have-you in regards to the SSM argument is ruining the argument for the issue, no matter how slight. And for anyone to suggest consensual incest is OK or those who commit bestiality are like anyone else are completely out of their minds. I can go on forever complaining about those people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom