Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
do you think Urban Outfitters sells a lot of clothes to people outraged enough by two women kissing to boycott?

NOM's Starbucks "boycott" is a hilarious failure, and those "Million" Moms sure trounced Ellen didn't they?

what is the highest priority, (political goal) for gay people in the United States ?

full legal equality (state and federal marriage rights, ENDA).

i might be missing something but that's about it. i'm fine with people saying horrible things about me. they just can't actually *do* anything to me.

that is about it, the whole ball of wax

and we know public acceptance is moving in the right direction,

for the under 30, it is a no brainer, for the over 60, well, they say they want to protect traditional marriage.

and every one in-between? that is where we win or lose converts

I can reason with some people in my age group, when I talk about fair-play, equal protection, common decency, full taxation deserves full representation and participation

if the people are religious, anything that lends any credence to the arguments that gays want to recruit young people is not helpful

I know families that choose not to watch FOX channel or any shows that have any sexuality or use any bad words, they do not watch R rated films, these are there choices,
if they don't want their young children looking for school clothes being exposed to this, lambasting them is not a way to try and move them over to acceptance of full civil rights.

civil rights passed in 1968, not 1948 0r 1928. it was a process.
Jackie Robinson endured more than he should have. But that was part of the process to get to the most obvious, basic, human decency place. A modest Civil Rights bill. If Jackie Robinson had held his fist up during the National Anthem, as the Olympians did in Mexico City in 1968, he would have set back Civil Rights by giving the wrong side amuniotion for thier argumnets.

And yes, this catalog picture is not that big of a deal. But parents not wanting it for their children to see, also is not that big of a deal.

As stated, it's entirely your right to decide what's acceptable in your household. I can't tell any parent they should look at something they don't like any more than that parent can tell me I shouldn't look at something they don't like.

But honestly, of all the issues in the world for mothers to concern themselves with, THIS is it? Two girls kissing in an ad? I agree that it doesn't really do anything for the product itself and is mainly there for shock value and is rather pointless as a result...but the reason shock value marketing continues to occur is because people continue to respond and be shocked by it and make it a news story. If you make it seem like it's not that big a deal, they'll have to switch marketing strategies eventually when people just look at their oh-so-shocking ads with a yawn and a shrug.

And at some point and time these mothers are going to have to explain lesbianism to their children. At some point and time their children will be exposed to it. Maybe even turn out to be lesbian themselves! How will they deal with that when the time comes? Shunning things only gets you so far for so long, and it often makes things worse instead of better for the kids.

They have the right to not support such things or let them in their homes, but I also have the right to tell them to be realistic, grow up, and realize there are bigger, more serious battles to be fought in this world.

As stated, it's entirely your right to decide what's acceptable in your household. I can't tell any parent they should look at something they don't like any more than that parent can tell me I shouldn't look at something they don't like.

But honestly, of all the issues in the world for mothers to concern themselves with, THIS is it? Two girls kissing in an ad? I agree that it doesn't really do anything for the product itself and is mainly there for shock value and is rather pointless as a result...but the reason shock value marketing continues to occur is because people continue to respond and be shocked by it and make it a news story. If you make it seem like it's not that big a deal, they'll have to switch marketing strategies eventually when people just look at their oh-so-shocking ads with a yawn and a shrug.

And at some point and time these mothers are going to have to explain lesbianism to their children. At some point and time their children will be exposed to it. Maybe even turn out to be lesbian themselves! How will they deal with that when the time comes? Shunning things only gets you so far for so long, and it often makes things worse instead of better for the kids.

They have the right to not support such things or let them in their homes, but I also have the right to tell them to be realistic, grow up, and realize there are bigger, more serious battles to be fought in this world.

:up: Well said.

BuzzFeed, Apr. 30
A week from Tuesday, North Carolinians vote on whether to make gay marriage constitutionally illegal. This print ad campaign was launched to shock voters into defeating the Amendment:

ncssm.jpg

This is how the Amendment One question will appear on the ballot:

[__] For [__] Against
Constitutional amendment to provide that marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized by this State.​

The state already doesn't "recognize" same-sex unions. That apparently isn't a strong enough statement for North Carolina lawmakers.

These segregation-riffing ads—tagged "On May 8th, make history. Don't repeat it."— are via Every1Against1. They argue that Amendment One "aims to turn all unmarried couples—whether same-sex or opposite-sex—into second-class citizens unworthy of basic dignity and fair treatment."

...[A]fter a similar constitutional amendment was passed in Ohio, several courts ruled that domestic violence protections did not apply to unmarried couples and cases were dismissed.

Of course! Why, according to some, acknowledging the very existence of gay people is enough to turn whole classrooms of 2nd graders into glee club aspirants.

Apparently heterosexuality is so tenuous and fragile, and must be nurtured along like a baby bird with a broken wing.

Man, I'm still pretty damn baffled how this is still such a big issue in so called first world countries in this day and age..

msn.com

A Republican Missouri House member announced Wednesday that he is gay, urging GOP leaders to end the state’s so-called “don’t say gay” legislation that would limit discussion of sexual orientation in public schools.

“Today I ask you to stand with me as a proud Republican, a proud veteran, and a proud gay man who wants to protect all kids, addressing bullying in our schools,” said Rep. Zachary Wyatt, the Kirksville Daily Express in Kirksville, Mo., reported.

The 27-year-old cattle farmer from the rural northern Missouri town of Novinger said current legislation, HB 2051, prompted him to disclose his sexual orientation for the first time. Wyatt has publicly denounced the bill, which would ban teaching, extracurricular activities or materials that discuss sexual orientation unless they relate to the scientific facts about human reproduction.

“I will not lie to myself anymore about my own sexuality. It has probably been the hardest thing to come to terms with. I have always ignored it. I didn’t even think about it or want to talk about it. I’ve not been immune to it. I hear the comments, usually snide ones, about me,” Wyatt said, the Daily Express reported.

“I am not the first or last Republican to come out. I have just gotten tired of the bigotry being shown on both sides of the aisle on gay issues. Being gay has never been a Republican or Democrat issue, and it should never be,” Wyatt said, the Daily Express reported.

HB 2051 appears unlikely to pass before the session ends on May 18, according to The Associated Press.

“If I can save one kid from hurting themselves or taking their life, then I have done my job as a representative,” said Wyatt, according to the Daily Express.

Republican Rep. Steve Cookson, who sponsored the bill, says he has no plans to withdraw it, according to local media reports.

According to the AP, a spokesman for the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, a national group that supports gay, lesbian, bisexual and transsexual candidate, said Wyatt is the only openly gay Republican now serving in a state legislature. There have been other gay GOP politicians who have served in state legislatures in the past, the AP reported.

and now for the not-breaking news

Obama will not support same sex marriage before Nov election.

Romney's position will be the same as Obama's. A 'marriage' is one man one woman.

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa — the chairman of the 2012 Democratic National Convention
— said on Wednesday that he favors a gay marriage legalization plank in his party’s platform.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/73729.html#ixzz1u7dkkh6z

I don't believe Obama will allow that into the party platform.

winslowsherrill_wide.jpg

Winslow Sherrill has two daughters who are lesbian. While he loves them and gets along with their partners,
he's going to vote in favor of banning gay marriage in North Carolina.

I don't know Obama's position on same sex marriage. I know Joe Biden's. I am hoping a second term and a friendly legislature (good luck, that) might help solidify a favorable position and whatever action would be available to him. I'm not assuming it, though. We'll see how much risk he takes when he doesn't have to worry about keeping his job. Be interesting to see what his final legacy will be.

As part of a sex that is often treated as less than, I watch him with interest but not much enthusiasm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 7, 2012
Mr. Biden’s Moment of Truth
Every so often, candidates running for high office say what they really think about an important issue. It’s virtually always a problem, especially if that candidate is a vice president and what he thinks differs from his president.

On Sunday, Vice President Joseph Biden Jr. said he was “absolutely comfortable” with same-sex marriage and portrayed the freedom to marry as a fundamental civil right. It was an important statement of support for marriage equality, and it was a big step forward from the endlessly frustrating hedging of President Obama. It should make it harder for Mr. Obama to cling to the tired evasion that his views on marriage are “evolving.”

Mr. Biden, who is prone to saying a bit too much on a few too many occasions, discussed same-sex marriage with David Gregory on “Meet the Press” on NBC. He movingly described the issue as questions of “who do you love?” and “will you be loyal to the person you love?”

Mr. Biden recalled meeting the children of a gay couple two weeks ago at a fund-raiser at their home. “I wish every American could see the look of love those kids had in their eyes for you guys,” he said he told one host. “And they wouldn’t have any doubt about what this is about.”

Mr. Biden declined to say whether Mr. Obama would endorse same-sex marriage before the November election, or in a second term. He began his remarks by saying Mr. Obama sets these policies, not him.

Still, his comments triggered the panic alarm at the Obama campaign, producing the comical spectacle of aides to Mr. Biden and David Axelrod, a senior adviser to Mr. Obama, trying to portray the vice president’s remarks as in line with the president’s views. They are not. Mr. Obama remains stuck publicly relegating same-sex relationships to separate and unequal civil unions.

On Monday, Arne Duncan, Mr. Obama’s education secretary, also endorsed marriage equality. (Shaun Donovan, who is the secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, did so earlier.) That made it even harder to figure out what Mr. Obama and his political handlers think is gained by the president’s hedging.

The Obama administration has taken some positive steps against antigay discrimination, such as repealing the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy and ending the Justice Department’s legal defense of the Defense of Marriage Act, the unconstitutional law that bars federal recognition of legally performed same-sex unions.

In stark contrast to Mitt Romney, who has aligned himself with the most fervent opponents of same-sex marriage, Mr. Obama has come out against the proposed state constitutional amendment to bar same-sex marriages and civil unions that is going before voters in Tuesday’s primary election in North Carolina.

But, by failing to go the next step and actually say that he supports the freedom to marry as Mr. Biden does and as polls show nearly a majority of Americans do, Mr. Obama risks dampening the enthusiasm of allies without gaining the support of equality’s opponents. It’s not an unfamiliar place for this president to be, unfortunately.

It would be good for a broad range of Americans to see him articulate a clear position of principle and then defend it before the voting public.

I think Obama's position on gay marriage has already "evolved" and that he supports it. But he can't/won't say so because it might hurt him politically with some people, and he can't completely reconcile it with his religious beliefs. Or maybe that's more of a religious/political connection. Joe Biden is the VP and I believe he's Catholic, but he has less to lose I guess. Of course it's not as if plenty of Catholics don't openly, or not so openly, support gay marriage.

I don't know Obama's position on same sex marriage.

that article you posted?

I looked up the source, The New York Times opinion

Ok, easy for them

and now we have former DNC Chair and former Pennsylvania governor and Democratic stalwart Ed Rendell had harsh words for President Obama's new "evolution" on gay marriage.

Former DNC Chair Rendell: Obama Should 'Man Up' And Tell Gay Marriage Position

These people must be on the side of Romney 2012.

Sure, they will say they are on the side of history.
But, this election is going to be close. Obama needs the 90%+ per cent of black vote in a few swing votes. Turn off a few, let that fall to only 70% per cent because of the Black religious vote, and we can have a Romney Presidency.

There is concern that the Jewish vote has slipped 10-15%. These small margins matter, does anyone remember 2000?

I do apologize on leaving out the NY Times. I copied the logo when copying the piece but it did not transfer and I did not notice. It is good to identify your source.:D

I understand your concern. Just don't care anymore. Tired of playing it safe. Tired of sitting back and behaving. Kind of tired of settling. Doesn't mean I won't vote for him.
Just means I do mind him being challenged.

that article you posted?

I looked up the source, The New York Times opinion

Ok, easy for them

and now we have former DNC Chair and former Pennsylvania governor and Democratic stalwart Ed Rendell had harsh words for President Obama's new "evolution" on gay marriage.

Former DNC Chair Rendell: Obama Should 'Man Up' And Tell Gay Marriage Position

These people must be on the side of Romney 2012.

Sure, they will say they are on the side of history.
But, this election is going to be close. Obama needs the 90%+ per cent of black vote in a few swing votes. Turn off a few, let that fall to only 70% per cent because of the Black religious vote, and we can have a Romney Presidency.

There is concern that the Jewish vote has slipped 10-15%. These small margins matter, does anyone remember 2000?
Do you honestly believe that simply coming out in support of same sex marriage will lower the black vote from 90-something percent to 70-something percent? Somehow I doubt that one issue would swing things that severely.

Do you honestly believe that simply coming out in support of same sex marriage will lower the black vote from 90-something percent to 70-something percent? Somehow I doubt that one issue would swing things that severely.

there is no way Obama will pull less than 90% of the black vote. he'd have to shoot a puppy on TV or something.

So you are just fine with President Romney for 8 years.

I will not vote for Romney. I'm not happy with a combination of Romney and the likely makeup of the new Congress. At all. But really, I'm not OK with placating the bigots so your (generic your, not you specifically) guy gets in.

What are you asking me, them, to do, deep? Just how quiet and unchallenging should we stay? I'm so, so tired of being afraid of getting something worse that I don't challenge for something better. It gets demeaning.

Obama needs the 90%+ per cent of black vote in a few swing votes. Turn off a few, let that fall to only 70% per cent because of the Black religious vote, and we can have a Romney Presidency.

According to some posters in here all black people are blind mindless Democrat voters so your theory doesn't really hold any water.

I don't think it will switch that many from Obama to Romney at all

I do believe it will have an affect if some religious black people choose not to vote for Obama, a lower black turnout for Obama in 2012 than what he got in 2008 can affect some toss up states

there is a very harsh anti gay ballot in NC today

I would like to see it lose,
but it will most likely pass, there should be exit polling , I expect black N Carolinians to support it. there should be some exit polling data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom