Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #721
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 07:35 PM
Wow. A 46 year old dad afraid his 2 year old son might beat him up. The Mrs Garrison character from Southpark sounds like a normal well-adjusted human being compared to this weirdo.

Quote:
Why do you think that the moms who picked you, picked you?

There's something I find fascinating, which is that a lot of these single moms will often want to pick two guys because it allows them psychologically to feel they will always be the only mother. So in a way, gay couples can have an advantage. Why me and Don? She told us she picked us because she liked "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" and she thought we'd make awesome dads.
Ok, fair enough. Obviously, a satire.
__________________

financeguy is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 05:51 AM   #722
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Wow. A 46 year old dad afraid his 2 year old son might beat him up. The Mrs Garrison character from Southpark sounds like a normal well-adjusted human being compared to this weirdo.
Wow, you grossly misinterpreted that, but good thing you didn't let your own bias shape that assumption.
__________________

BVS is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #723
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy

Wow. A 46 year old dad afraid his 2 year old son might beat him up. The Mrs Garrison character from Southpark sounds like a normal well-adjusted human being compared to this weirdo.

Ok, fair enough. Obviously, a satire.
I can hear the point sailing over your head from across the Atlantic. You must understand he does not think a 2-year-old can beat him up?
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #724
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,784
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04
I only found out today that The Salvation Army is pretty homophobic from their website:
They also have a slogan, "doing the most good.". Beacause you know, it's a competition.
IWasBored is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #725
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 06:35 PM
I'm not a member of the Salvation Army, but I'm not sure what part of this statement isn't compassionate.

Quote:
A disposition towards homosexuality is not in itself blameworthy nor is the disposition seen as rectifiable at will. The Army is sensitive to the complex social, emotional and spiritual needs of all people including those with homosexual inclinations. We oppose vilification of, or discrimination against, anyone on the grounds of sexual orientation. No person is excluded from membership, fellowship or service in the Army solely on the basis of sexual disposition.

Practising homosexuals are welcome to worship with, and join in the fellowship of The Salvation Army.

Regardless of sexual orientation, any person who yields to the Lordship of Jesus Christ, and determines, by God's grace, to live in accordance with the Scriptural principles outlined above, is welcomed and accorded all the benefits and privileges of membership in The Salvation Army.
It seems like they're trying to live according to their theological convictions but also human compassion. ?
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #726
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,392
Local Time: 02:35 PM
the Salvation Army may be wrong, but i agree that it's at least respectfully phrased and reasoned, and as a passionate believer in pluralism and secularism this is precisely the thing that we should go out of our way to show our own tolerance for.

i noted in the last DC Pride parade a week or so ago that the loudest applause -- aside from the now out servicemembers -- were for the Mormons who held up signs saying "Mormons for Marriage." people were running out of the crowd and hugging these people and thanking them. after all of the ugliness that's come out of Salt Lake, from over the decades with "reparative therapy" to their machinations in Prop 8, it was lovely to see individuals step up who may hold religious objections or convictions but this does not cloud their view of what civil equality means in a secular pluralistic nation.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #727
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977
I'm not a member of the Salvation Army, but I'm not sure what part of this statement isn't compassionate.

It seems like they're trying to live according to their theological convictions but also human compassion. ?
Which is what makes people like Christopher Hitchens seem all the more correct.
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #728
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Which is what makes people like Christopher Hitchens seem all the more correct.
How so?
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #729
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 02:35 PM
I will explain in greater depth later, but I basically read a long essay that can be summed up as, "Love the sinner, hate the sin."
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #730
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,392
Local Time: 02:35 PM
i find Christians who, for example, don't support something like universal health care to be much more deserving of scorn by people like Hitchens.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #731
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
How so?
As far as most people are concerned, the Salvation Army is a series of stores that sell discount goods by purchasing things cheaply from people who would otherwise just throw them out. Old clothes and piece of furniture that are out of style or no longer fit, but could help someone. This is a good thing. This is something that helps people.

So why does such an organization have to take stances on political issues? It's because of this terrible, awful belief that morality cannot exist without religion. And because of its religious nature, it feels the need to get political, because that's what religious organizations do in this country.

So, you have this organization that does good things going around telling gay people that they're sinful if they practice homosexuality, because the Bible says so. This is an organization, mind you, that calls itself the Salvation Army because it is fighting a "war against sin." And now it's posting things like this about one specific sin, and trying to look compassionate just by saying it respects gays despite themselves and the fact that they are going to Hell if they attempt to enter a relationship of any kind.

"Love the sinner, hate the sin." It's one of the most frustrating defenses of religious intolerance. "Oh, I don't hate you, I just hate what you are."

Hitchens spoke of how religion poisons everything. The Salvation Army sits in a place in this culture where it could be one of the few truly good things. It is an organization that performs a service, that operates a very noble business, and then feels obligated to pump itself up as a religious entity by throwing gays under the bus in a "compassionate manner."

No one asked the Salvation Army to take a stance on this. No one has questioned their credentials. It's entirely unnecessary piling on, a thinly veiled statement of unity with its Christian brethren, a reminder that, "Hey, we too have religious chops." I can't see what else it is possibly good for.
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #732
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i find Christians who, for example, don't support something like universal health care to be much more deserving of scorn by people like Hitchens.
Of course.

But I hate the idea that this would be applauded simply because it's more polite than other people telling you that you are going to Hell.
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #733
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,392
Local Time: 02:35 PM
but i can also politely tell them to go to hell themselves. whereas denying me a legal right is a much different thing. no one has to be nice to me. they just can't deny me rights they themselves enjoy.

i take the broader point -- just how compassionate are you if you think a sexual orientation is going to send you to hell?
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #734
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 02:35 PM
I understand that there are bigger fish to fry and more important battles to be fought. I was just simply irked by the idea that this was compassionate, that's all.
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #735
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,715
Local Time: 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Wow, that's some moral quandary right there. I personally, in that situation, I'd think about it for maybe 5 milliseconds, then take the money.
I honestly don't know if you're being serious or not with this post. But I do think the question I posed is worth considering.

As for the quote from nathan...

Quote:
We oppose vilification of, or discrimination against, anyone on the grounds of sexual orientation.
I guess here's the thing. Okay, they oppose that stuff, fantastic, great. I would hope anyone with any sense of humanity in them would be opposed to such things. We're on the same side there, then.

But then why can't they just go the extra step and just not see homosexuality as something sinful to begin with? Why can't they just see homosexuality the way they would see heterosexuality, as something normal?
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #736
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
As far as most people are concerned, the Salvation Army is a series of stores that sell discount goods by purchasing things cheaply from people who would otherwise just throw them out. ...

So why does such an organization have to take stances on political issues? It's because of this terrible, awful belief that morality cannot exist without religion. And because of its religious nature, it feels the need to get political, because that's what religious organizations do in this country.
The reality is that the Salvation Army is, first and foremost, a religious organization -- a church that is, in fact, considered its own denomination. As a result, it is not a philanthropic organization that happens to be religious -- it is a religious organization, a church, that believes in philanthropy. And for most people, church, religion and morality go hand in hand. Trying to separate religion (which I would probably define as answering the big questions of why we exist) from morality (the application of those religious answers to our daily lives) is a bit of a fool's errand.

Quote:
So, you have this organization that does good things going around telling gay people that they're sinful if they practice homosexuality, because the Bible says so. This is an organization, mind you, that calls itself the Salvation Army because it is fighting a "war against sin." And now it's posting things like this about one specific sin, and trying to look compassionate just by saying it respects gays despite themselves and the fact that they are going to Hell if they attempt to enter a relationship of any kind.
I'm not sure that the Salvation Army is looking to insert itself into the cultural conversation on this issue. Its statement on the issue is fairly nuanced, even-handed, and (to these eyes, anyway) one that attempts to straddle conviction with compassion. At the same time, the question of how churches and denominations will wrestle with the specific issue of sexual morality has, for better or worse, become a culturally-mandated conversation. Churches are being forced to draw theological lines that I'm not sure they necessarily want to draw.

Quote:
"Love the sinner, hate the sin." It's one of the most frustrating defenses of religious intolerance. "Oh, I don't hate you, I just hate what you are."
This is probably worthy of its own thread, but I find this perspective somewhat intellectually dishonest -- because "love the sinner, hate the sin" is how we treat ourselves all the time. We all do things that we disagree with all the time, don't we? We don't always live up to our own standards. We all have little white lies that we tell ourselves. At the same time, we don't throw ourselves out the window, do we? Nor do we labor under self-condemnation. We are all walking hypocrites of one stripe or another, regardless of our moral, religious, or spiritual creed. None of us measure up to our own standards. But at the same time, we all carry grace for ourselves -- we accept ourselves, despite the fact that we don't measure up. So why not carry that same grace for someone else? "I disagree with what you do/how you conduct yourself, but I still believe that you have inherent worth as a human being." To me, this is the essence of "love the sinner, hate the sin." Because I certainly don't hate myself, even though I sin all the time. So why should I hate someone else, just because I don't like what they do?
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #737
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,715
Local Time: 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
This is probably worthy of its own thread, but I find this perspective somewhat intellectually dishonest -- because "love the sinner, hate the sin" is how we treat ourselves all the time. We all do things that we disagree with all the time, don't we? We don't always live up to our own standards. We all have little white lies that we tell ourselves. At the same time, we don't throw ourselves out the window, do we? Nor do we labor under self-condemnation. We are all walking hypocrites of one stripe or another, regardless of our moral, religious, or spiritual creed. None of us measure up to our own standards. But at the same time, we all carry grace for ourselves -- we accept ourselves, despite the fact that we don't measure up. So why not carry that same grace for someone else? "I disagree with what you do/how you conduct yourself, but I still believe that you have inherent worth as a human being." To me, this is the essence of "love the sinner, hate the sin." Because I certainly don't hate myself, even though I sin all the time. So why should I hate someone else, just because I don't like what they do?
Agreed in general, except the problem is that stating homosexuality is a "sin" and saying one "disagrees" with it makes no sense to many people. To my eyes, I don't see anything wrong with homosexuality at all, so I'm really confused as to what makes it sinful or worth disagreeing with in the first place.

There are things people do that one doesn't like-people do drugs, and drink, or inflict some sort of self-harm, or whatever-but that's because those activities harm the people doing them. And if you love someone, of course, you want to make it clear their behavior is harmful to them and their well-being, you don't want to see them hurt or dead.

Homosexuality isn't one of those sorts of issues, however. A man in a happy relationship with another man, a woman in a happy relationship with another woman, I fail to see where the problem comes in. I want that for them, I support that. I want them to feel comfortable enough with themselves to be as open as they want to be, and to be able to love and be loved. I don't see how calling that sinful and worthy of hell, or saying, "love the sinner, hate the sin" is beneficial at all.
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #738
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,601
Local Time: 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
This is probably worthy of its own thread, but I find this perspective somewhat intellectually dishonest -- because "love the sinner, hate the sin" is how we treat ourselves all the time. We all do things that we disagree with all the time, don't we? We don't always live up to our own standards. We all have little white lies that we tell ourselves. At the same time, we don't throw ourselves out the window, do we? Nor do we labor under self-condemnation. We are all walking hypocrites of one stripe or another, regardless of our moral, religious, or spiritual creed. None of us measure up to our own standards. But at the same time, we all carry grace for ourselves -- we accept ourselves, despite the fact that we don't measure up. So why not carry that same grace for someone else? "I disagree with what you do/how you conduct yourself, but I still believe that you have inherent worth as a human being." To me, this is the essence of "love the sinner, hate the sin." Because I certainly don't hate myself, even though I sin all the time. So why should I hate someone else, just because I don't like what they do?

what could be wrong with this saying?

Love the criminal, hate the crime.


In some countries practicing Christianity is a crime.

They don't hate you Nathan, it is just the criminal behavior.

You seem like a nice person, and they love you. Criminal behavior should not be tolerated just because some people want to do it.
deep is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #739
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Agreed in general, except the problem is that stating homosexuality is a "sin" and saying one "disagrees" with it makes no sense to many people. To my eyes, I don't see anything wrong with homosexuality at all, so I'm really confused as to what makes it sinful or worth disagreeing with in the first place.
PhilsFan specifically made a comment about how he didn't like the "love the sinner, hate the sin" statement, and specifically referred to it as a statement of intolerance. That's what I'm responding to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep
In some countries practicing Christianity is a crime.
Actually, most countries -- even heavily Muslim ones -- allow you to practice your faith privately. It's prosletyzing that can bring you a world of hurt.
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #740
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,601
Local Time: 10:35 AM
Communist countries? would you want to live in a country where you coulld not be practice Christianity openly?

would you feel loved if your chosen life style practices* were deemed criminal, but at the same time the people that called your behavior criminal said they were loving towards you.


* and that is what religion is, not sexual orientation.
__________________

deep is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×