Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gay sex is wrong because it's icky!

and the people most appalled and horrified by gay sex tend to be very, very well versed in the details, specific outre practices, gear, lube, positions, and other filthy, filthy, terrible things that happened when shirtless young men are overcome with burning lust for one another.

It's kinda like when people say something like "I hate American Idol... but I watch it all the time"... maybe you don't hate American Idol

Gay sex is wrong because it's icky!

To be honest, people who come out and flat out say that bother me far less than the ones who hide behind their Church teachings and say that they are opposed because it's against their religion. At least the "icky" ones, as immature as they may be, are thinking for themselves.

I was thinking. Didn't legalizing biracial marriage require a redefinition of "personhood"? Weren't black Americans 3/5 of a person at one point?

That 3/5 of a person was during the time of slavery, and my understanding is that it ended with the abolishing of slavery and the 14th amendment which gave African-Americans equal legal standing as citizens. The 3/5 Compromise was as much on the non-slave owning north as on the south. The northerners did not want slaves counted at all when it came to determining the number of representatives allotted to a state. The southerners wanted them to count as full persons to maximize the number of representatives they'd be able to have in Congress. None of it had squat to do with actual legal rights, just the states jockeying for political power.

At any rate, the legalization of biracial marriage probably did not involve a redefinition of personhood.

I watched that last night.

This is the same town where Billy Lucas killed himself after homophobic bullying and became the catalyst for the It Gets Better project.

That's sick, and to me it's child abuse. What does that little boy know of any of that, of hate or prejudice ? He's parroting what adults have told him to say, and he's being indoctrinated. It reminds me of those white supremacist singing girls several years back. I think they might have rejected it when they got older, so maybe there's hope for that 4 year old.

Woohoo folks!
Did you see that the Defense of Marriage Act has been DECLARED UNCONSTITUTIONAL
by a Federal Court in Boston!?!?!

One (more) step closer to ending the discrimination!

I didn't care that Bill Clinton was getting blow jobs (though doing so in the White House was ever so tacky, from young interns, sigh...), but I always felt so terrible that he allowed *this* (DOMA) to happen on his watch...

DOMA Ruled Unconstitutional By Federal Appeals Court

Cheers All!

I didn't care that Bill Clinton was getting blow jobs (though doing so in the White House was ever so tacky, from young interns, sigh...), but I always felt so terrible that he allowed *this* (DOMA) to happen on his watch...

that is an uninformed opinion

Bill Clinton made huge contributions to advancing gay rights

that is an uninformed opinion

Bill Clinton made huge contributions to advancing gay rights

Well, so, feel free to give me links showing me the evidence and everything, really, I'm open to it...
I just always hated it that he seemed to support that legislation, and I am not merely speaking in 'hindsight' from seeing a president (or presidential candidate who has a good chance of nomination really, for that matter) finally stop with the contortions in finding an acceptable "position" on the issue of same-sex marriage.
You know?!
I didn't say, please notice, that I'd always found Bill questionable about *gay rights* generally...*just* that I hated it that he seemed fine with DOMA.

Unfortunately, it was likely part of some dumb compromise to get Republicans onboard to support something Clinton wanted to do. I saw a thing on TV with him a few months back where he stated he doesn't stand by that legislation now and thinks it was a bad idea. But of course, that doesn't change any crap that happened in relation to that act over the years. It was a very stupid move on his part to even support such a thing to begin with, yes.

Anywho, glad to hear it's been ruled unconstitutional by that court :up:. As for the video...*Shudders*. I don't think I could stand to listen to that. Children reciting back bigoted views is one of the creepiest, most disturbing things in the world.

Unfortunately, it was likely part of some dumb compromise to get Republicans onboard to support something Clinton wanted to do. I saw a thing on TV with him a few months back where he stated he doesn't stand by that legislation now and thinks it was a bad idea. But of course, that doesn't change any crap that happened in relation to that act over the years. It was a very stupid move on his part to even support such a thing to begin with, yes.

Anywho, glad to hear it's been ruled unconstitutional by that court :up:. As for the video...*Shudders*. I don't think I could stand to listen to that. Children reciting back bigoted views is one of the creepiest, most disturbing things in the world.

Ah, yes, thanks for the extra info on his current position--I missed recent interviews with him, even as I would imagine he might now think it was a bad idea!
And I agree about how creepy it is to see little kids reciting such nastiness, so I haven't even been able to stand the idea of clicking play on this one:no:
too sad and disturbing and anger-inducing ultimately....

what's more disturbing is how the crowd leaps to it's feet the moment the boy says the word "homo."

Of course, but at least the adults have made a choice (regardless of how poor, and all the other adjectives you can use, that choice is) and can make that choice. A four year old child can't.

I just watched it... what a massive overreaction. People need to calm down.

Maybe if he'd said "only anal sex loving faggots play cricket", then sure. But I was only offended because I love cricket and think its better than baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom