Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So has deep changed his web persona from 'random disembodied viewpoint generator' to 'empathetic ear of equal opinion'?

So has deep changed his web persona from 'random disembodied viewpoint generator' to 'empathetic ear of equal opinion'?

Sees like it. I truly do not see what the point is in making those responses. If someone could enlighten me, that'd be great.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. But that doesn't mean they're all right. Sometimes you should keep them to yourself if you know that it'll disrespect a lot of people unrightfully.

article-2143889-13131077000005DC-851_634x856.jpg

Not that anyone cares, but did anyone see Bristol Palin's criticism of Obama's gay marriage stance? I think I'll finally join Facebook, her posts inspire me to.

Huffington Post

Bristol Palin is not satisfied with President Obama's explanation of how he evolved to support gay marriage--by talking with his family and friends.

"You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples," Obama said in the ABC interview in which he made his announcement. "There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently."

Bristol writes in a Facebook post that fathers should shape their kids' views, not the other way around:

"While it’s great to listen to your kids’ ideas, there’s also a time when dads simply need to be dads. In this case, it would’ve been helpful for him to explain to Malia and Sasha that while her friends parents are no doubt lovely people, that’s not a reason to change thousands of years of thinking about marriage. Or that – as great as her friends may be – we know that in general kids do better growing up in a mother/father home. Ideally, fathers help shape their kids’ worldview."

Bristol has a son with her ex-boyfriend Levi Johnston, but the two were never married and Bristol says that Levi is not part of the child's life.

Bristol also accuses liberals of being critical of Christian women who bow to their husbands--and says the same scrutiny should apply to Obama being influenced by his family. She brings up a debate question that Michele Bachmann was asked about submitting to her husband but fails to mention that Bachmann started the controversy in 2006 when she said, "The Lord says: Be submissive, wives. You are to be submissive to your husbands." Bristol writes:

" Let’s pause for just one second. When Christian women run for high office, people inevitably bring up the question of submission. Once, Michele Bachmann, for example, was asked during a debate, “As president, would you be submissive to your husband?”

People automatically assume that a Christian female President isn’t capable of making decisions without her spouse’s stamp of approval. (I should add female Republican candidates –liberal women don’t get the same kind of questions.)

So are all those reporters who feared excessive family intervention in the White House all up in arms over the President’s announcement yesterday? Um. Not quite."

Unless she had that kid the same way Mary did in the bible, Bristol is just as much a sinner as a homosexual according to her religious belief.

Aside from that, I'm not sure anyone cares what Bristol thinks.

it would’ve been helpful for him to explain to Malia and Sasha that while her friends parents are no doubt lovely people, that’s not a reason to change thousands of years of thinking about marriage. Or that – as great as her friends may be – we know that in general kids do better growing up in a mother/father home. Ideally, fathers help shape their kids’ worldview."

Bristol has a son with her ex-boyfriend Levi Johnston, but the two were never married and Bristol says that Levi is not part of the child's life.

:lol: Uhm, what was that saying again? Do as I say, not as I do?

She also said something about kids who are getting their views on gay marriages from watching too many episodes of Glee. Yes, I'm sure that's why kids think gay people deserve equality.

:lol: Uhm, what was that saying again? Do as I say, not as I do?

My thoughts exactly. But not at all surprising-seems to be the mantra of her family in general :doh:.

Of course being gay is a choice - no one is forcing you to love someone of your own sex, you do it because you want to - that's what a free choice is.

Take me for example, I have a lot of attractive female co-workers in my office and the fact that I don't sleep with anyone of them is because I choose not to, nor am I inclined to - BUT if I wanted to I would......because that's my choice.

You are confusing attraction (not a choice) with acting on said attraction (a choice).

You cannot control whom you find yourself attracted to. You can only control whether or not to act on your feelings for that person. And that applies to gay, straight, and bisexual people.

Again, though, whether or not one's sexual orientation is a choice should be irrelevant. Either way it's still nobody else's business to tell them they can't be with someone they love, especially if they don't have any logical reasons as to why.

From that thing about Romney a couple pages back:

bringing much of the audience to its feet in cheers by declaring: "Marriage is a relationship between one man and one woman."

Sigh.

See, if you read that and don't see that as cruel or disrespectful, I don't know what to tell you anymore. Cheering at the idea of stopping gay couples from being able to be together is just heartless. Sorry, Cori's got the right idea here-there's no justification for this line of thinking. None. Get over yourselves and your little prejudices, think for yourselves instead of letting the Bible do it all for you, and enter the 21st century already. This is beyond ridiculous.

ok

I just found this, James Buchanan

James Buchanan: America's First Gay President? | The Bilerico Project

He was president 1857-61, right before Lincoln, the problem with these claims are that they were not out at all.
Lincoln had a wife and children. So for the majority, they were not gay.

edit to add

most gay Americans are not 'officially' gay. Because they are not out.
We need to have a world where all people have no issues with people living their lives out in the open.

Gay marriage, will do a lot, to take us in that direction.

Gay marriage, will do a lot, to take us in that direction.

I dunno man, we live in a society where toddlers that run around in just their pullups are considered to be dirty and sexual and children must be clothed all of the time (recently read something about how "wrong" it was for parents to let four-year-old girls go to the beach shirtless).

Last night on one of our political talk shows, a member of the crowd asked the right-wing MP Joe Hockey why he is against same-sex marriage, and why he thinks he can be a parent but MP Penny Wong, who is in a lesbian relationship, cannot. Her reply was stunning.

Penny Wong v Joe Hockey over Gay Marriage on Q and A (14--05-2012) - YouTube

I don't get how people still seem to think if there's a mother and father in the house and they're married that somehow this automatically means your kids will grow up "better". How many more examples of that NOT always being true do people have to see before they get it?

Go, Penny :up:.

The other two are Tony Windsor and Julia Gillard. I shit you not.

(yes, yes, I know there's Bob Brown, but he's either retired or rapidly on the way to exiting the scene)

I wish I'd learnt a bit more about Aussie politics when I was. Over there for a month. But that was when Wills and Kate got engaged, so that sucked up a lot of air time. And I spent a good week below water, so I suppose all worked out.

Gillard has been pretty underwhelming though. And I'm a big Turnbull fan.

I nominated Gillard for grace under fire. She is no policy visionary, but someone has to keep the show going, and the present environment is more toxic than any I can recall in recent years. After Kevin Rudd's Eva-Peron turn leading up to the February spill that (hopefully) ended his political career, I start to wonder if we all didn't dodge a bullet there. This is a relatively recent change in my view.

A dysfunctional news media, in what will probably be its last major act before extinction, is actively working for an unwarranted election.

The other two are Tony Windsor and Julia Gillard. I shit you not.

(yes, yes, I know there's Bob Brown, but he's either retired or rapidly on the way to exiting the scene)

Gillard's level-headed, even, and reasonable response to the frankly disgusting level of abuse that has been slung at her has been superhuman. I can't help but respect her for that alone. Regardless of anyone's opinion on whether Gillard or Rudd should be the ALP leader, I think we can probably all agree that under this sort of constant barrage of aggression from the political sewer, Rudd would've cracked long ago. Cracked spectacularly.

Bob Brown is a massive fucking champion and a huge loss to the dignity of the Australian political scene when we're at what might be our lowest ebb. I've been pretty impressed with Adam Bandt, though.

As for Penny Wong, it's great that the change of ALP policy on gay marriage means she can speak her mind now. I know it would've had negative repercussions for her, given the requirement for party discipline within the ALP, but I wish she had defied the former policy before it was changed. It was agonising watching her contort her words to avoid expressing her own opinion while also avoiding actually endorsing the former party position.

She's one of about three pollies in this country with a bit of dignity.

She certainly gave a well thought reply. :up:

So I wonder what this guy thinks about rape victims, who raise a child all by themselves, or people where either mother or father has passed away. There's no mother and father there either. Same level as gay people or suddenly 'a different situation'?

And.. one thing I don't get. How do we go from gay marriage to children immediately? :scratch: Last time I checked you don't need to be married to have children. There's so many morons out there who have children, I'd say a gay couple makes the choice after thinking it through quite a bit, so they are much more responsible parents than morons who let their kids do about anything because they are too selfish to spend time with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom