Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I said no mayonnaise. Fuck!" LOL

I think the irony might be a little too over-the-top to form the basis for a broad-based boycott, :wink: unfortunately the truly funny stuff usually is. Pro-choice groups have been urging boycotts of Domino's for decades without much success. Or much humor, for that matter...then again, now that things have gotten so surreal what with all the transvaginal probes and legally empowered embryos and sluts OD'ing on the Pill, maybe it's time to consider the possibilities. :hmm:

I've never been to CfA since their fried chicken isn't kosher and they don't really serve much else.

interesting that during the "rap" she does mention how the chicken isn't kosher.

this is a boycott we struggle with in our apartment. Memphis *loves* it, especially the chicken biscuits for breakfast. it's not big in DC, but there is one within walking distance from where i work, and it gets tempting on Fridays. and, yes, it is good. but since i never grew up with it, it's not hard for me to boycott.

i often find drag tiresome, but this is drag queens doing what they do best. this is the best online drag performance i've seen since "Sh*t Black Girls Say."

which i'm now going to post somewhere else ...

CNN, Mar. 28
A national group opposed to same-sex marriage aimed to fight it by driving "a wedge between gays and blacks" and identifying "glamorous" Latino artists and athletes to advocate traditional marriage, according to newly released confidential memos. The strategies were among several pursued by the National Organization for Marriage (NOM), which has actively campaigned against same-sex marriage efforts.
Most of the memos were written in 2009. The president of NOM did not dispute the authenticity of the memos, saying in an online statement, "Gay marriage is not a civil right."

The memos highlight several efforts to fight same-sex marriage initiatives, which NOM contended were backed by the "pro-gay Obama agenda." "The Latino vote in America is a key swing vote, and will be so even more so in the future because of demographic growth," one NOM memo states. "Will the process of assimilation to the dominant Anglo culture lead Hispanics to abandon traditional family values? We can interrupt this process of assimilation by making support for marriage a key badge of Latino identity." Plans included Spanish language radio and TV ads, pamphlets and YouTube videos.

NOM also targeted what it termed "Democratic power bosses" it claimed were inclined to put the interests of gay rights groups "over the values of African-Americans." "The strategic goal of this project is to drive a wedge between gays and blacks--two key Democratic constituencies," another memo states. "Find, equip, energize and connect African-American spokespeople for marriage; develop a media campaign around their objections to gay marriage as a civil right; provoke the gay marriage base into responding by denouncing these spokesmen and women as bigots. No politician wants to take up and push an issue that splits the base of the party."

NOM argued "gay marriage is the tip of the spear, the weapon that will be and is being used to marginalize and repress Christianity and the Church."

As a lonely voice here against same-sex marriage that has:

A) Taken Irvine to task many times over, what I consider, a poor analogy between same-sex marriage and the struggle of black Americans to gain equality.

B) Criticized advocates of same-sex marriage for bullying tactics (publicizing the addresses of prop 8 supporters, refusing to acknowledge dissent as anything other than homophobia, boycotts, etc).

I find this revelation not only embarrassing but truly distressing. Traditional marriage is worth defending and preserving... but not like this.

Shame on the National Organization for Marriage.

Seriously, that is easily one of the best things I've ever seen on telly.

When Spicks & Specks ended, I wondered how Adam Hills was meant to top it. Well, now we know.

I missed the start but saw most of it. It was great that they kept the laughs but really drove home the message. The love in the room towards the end of the vows was undeniable. :heart:

I can marry, divorce, and do it all again within a year or two but my aunt is denied the choice to commit to her long time partner? Doesn't make sense to me. :huh:

Cin said:
I missed the start but saw most of it. It was great that they kept the laughs but really drove home the message. The love in the room towards the end of the vows was undeniable. :heart:

I can marry, divorce, and do it all again within a year or two but my aunt is denied the choice to commit to her long time partner? Doesn't make sense to me. :huh:

Watching that just made me realise how stupid it is gays can't marry. That's probably the closest many of them will come for years.

Definitely give Karl Stefanovic the Gold Piece of Shit though.

When the fat dude said "I know what I want" I lol'd fo' real

that's my favorite part too! :hug:

appreciated, INDY.

another part of the NOM documents: they apparently set aside $120,000 to bribe the children of gay parents to go on TV and trash them.

how pro-family.

That's sexual in nature?

msn.com

A gay student in Ohio has sued his school district after he was banned from wearing a T-shirt with the slogan "Jesus is not a homophobe." Maverick Couch, 16, claims he was told to turn the shirt inside out and later threatened with suspension if he wore it again -- apparently it was deemed "sexual in nature" and inappropriate for school. Couch disagrees and says, "I've been bullied and called names, and I wanted to wear this shirt to promote respect for all students, gay or straight." He's now claiming his right to free speech was violated. The Cincinnati school district hasn't commented on the suit, but District Superintendent Patrick Dubbs did say he was "disappointed that it has gotten to this point."

79F1C55266647D232953A0C2F47D.jpg

I seem to remember a number of years ago there was a controversy because there were some students wanted to wear anti-gay, pro-"Christian" T-shirts at a school somewhere, and those who supported that idea were saying it's free speech and all that.

I guess this kid's shirt doesn't classify as free speech?

And yeah, I'm not sure how they justify it being "sexual in nature", either.

Massachusetts leads fight on right to marry - Boston.com

Massachusetts leads fight on right to marry
April 03, 2012

Massachusetts will once again take center stage in the national debate over same-sex marriage as the state becomes the first to go before a United States appeals court to challenge a federal law that defines marriage as a union only of a man and a woman.

What? Since the Obama administration has already stated that they will no longer defend DOMA in court we now are facing the very grim possibility of a bunch of “unelected” judges taking the "unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress.”

:tsk:

Whatever it takes to get it right. There's a debate on economics. There is even a debate on abortion. But this is just simply right and wrong. I don't care how it gets done when it's so obvious, just like how I wouldn't have cared how they carried out civil rights laws in the 20th century.

Sorry for the lack of a link to this article, it's subscription-only. Interesting stats and anecdotes about civil partnerships and dissolutions in the UK.
The London Sunday Times Magazine, April 1
by Giles Hattersley

As the debate on full gay marriage reaches its crescendo, what has become of Britain's first gay divorcés and divorcées? Some a might be surprised to discover that there aren't many of them. The most recent findings of the Office for National Statistics showed in 2010 that 5.5% of heterosexual marriages ended in divorce after four years, while only 2.5% of a total of 42,778 civil partnerships in the same period were dissolved. This number is perhaps skewed by the fact that some gay couples had been living together for decades before they were allowed to tie the knot.

Still, as we approach the seventh anniversary of civil partnerships--and the seven-year itch--intriguing questions arise. Why, for example, are only 44% of civil partnerships entered into by women, but lesbians file for 62% of dissolutions, meaning they are staggeringly more likely to divorce? Or what happens when the homemaker (or "homo-maker", as his friends might tease him) with a banker hubby thinks he's owed the £2m house? Or why is "adultery" not automatic grounds for a gay dissolution?
[D]ue to a crucial difference in the law, adultery isn't available as automatic grounds to dissolve a gay union. Adultery is still defined as sexual relations between a woman and a man, so gay couples have to list infidelities as "unreasonable behaviour", as Darryl Bullock was shocked to discover. His and Godfrey's trailblazing partnership came to an end seven months in. "We split up because he cheated on me," Bullock says, simply. "We'd agreed there was no room for any of that sort of stuff." The legal fallout was tricky. "The judge had never come across this, so didn't realise I couldn't cite adultery. It made me so angry, the process a lot longer, more unhappy and more expensive. You end up sending letters from one lawyer to the other until someone agrees to say, 'Yeah, I did that.' If I'd been married to a woman and she'd cheated on me, I could have kicked her out [and got divorced] straightaway and that would be the end of it. Because I was married to a man, that option didn't exist."
More worrying is when children are involved. In 2006, when a lesbian couple from Northamptonshire split up, the biological mother moved the children to Penzance. But while her ex lacked a genetic tie to her children, she was an equal parent in the eyes of the law--emotionally, too, of course. Initially, she won the right to have the kids back with her in Northamptonshire, sharing access with their biological mother. That right was overturned on appeal. The court placed a higher value on the biological mum's link to the kids. It's bad law, believes [family law solicitor Andrea] Woelke, but he's seen lesbian partnerships break down where "the biological mother can be very possessive, and basically think, 'Well, it's my child.' But legally, it's not. It can get nasty."
Peter Lawrence, 47, and Don Gallagher, 54, had been together for 11 years, but managed only seven months in their civil partnership. With assets of £4m--largely accumulated from Lawrence's job as a £390,000-a-year JP Morgan analyst--Gallagher, an actor who has starred in the musical Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, was awarded a £1.7m settlement. Lawrence has taken the case to the Court of Appeal as he doesn't believe their former London home should be included in the pot. But Gallagher's barrister argued that his client had taken on "the major domestic and homemaking role in the partnership", as he "helped create and maintain a lovely home [with] soft furnishings, planting on balconies, improvement of layout and fixtures, redecoration". When judgment is handed down later in the year, it will be a test case for gay men and women whose relationships predate civil-partnership law, notes Woelke. "The other thing with same-sex couples," he adds, "is that there's often a greater degree of struggle over content. I mean," he says, wryly, "in heterosexual divorces, you never have the shared wardrobe. With heterosexual couples, you might have bought the furniture and kitchen stuff, but he will have his CD collection, she will have her whatever. With same-sex couples, there's much more of a mix."
Jean, a 34-year-old teacher from London, got hitched in 2007, partly because her partner was so excited by the fact that it was a possibility. "Neither of us had ever wanted to get married, but suddenly it felt like the right thing to do because we could. All our friends were really excited about us getting married...My ex-wife didn't want to destroy the relationship, she just wanted to end the marriage. The break-up got incredibly nasty. It was really confrontational...She even bugged my computer. That's how nasty she got." As the concept of gay divorce is so new, Jean also felt woefully unsupported by her peers. "The hardest thing for me was that the straight people in my life didn't really acknowledge that I was going through a divorce," she says. "I didn't feel like I got any support. The only person I felt like I got support off was my mum. She said, 'This is what straight people have been going through all this time.' "

Why is the dissolution rate so much higher for women, I ask Rachel, 32, who works for the criminal justice system in Dorset? She'd been with her girlfriend for eight years before their nine-month civil partnership collapsed. "In my experience, women tend to want to be in relationships and fear being single," she says. "The gay men I have known who have married appear to me to have a more practical outlook, and, while they are clearly in love, have a less romanticised view of the relationship. The women I know who have divorced have tended to marry in their first committed relationship."
That said, and the odd pocket of gloom aside, the low dissolution stats show that the civil partnership experiment has worked, so there's no reason to think gay marriage won't as well, should it come into law. Darryl Bullock has already taken a second civil partner--a nice chap called Niall Milligan--and, if anything, is wiser from that first "nightmare". Milligan thinks full marriage rights would make their relationship even sounder. "I definitely would like to get married, preferably in church, but I don't really believe the mainstream church will allow this to happen any time soon," he says. "My faith is important to me and I believe that God would wish people to be happy, whatever their sexuality."

Last edited:
seems self-evident to me:

Is Some Homophobia Self-Phobia?

ScienceDaily (Apr. 6, 2012) — Homophobia is more pronounced in individuals with an unacknowledged attraction to the same sex and who grew up with authoritarian parents who forbade such desires, a series of psychology studies demonstrates.

The study is the first to document the role that both parenting and sexual orientation play in the formation of intense and visceral fear of homosexuals, including self-reported homophobic attitudes, discriminatory bias, implicit hostility towards gays, and endorsement of anti-gay policies. Conducted by a team from the University of Rochester, the University of Essex, England, and the University of California in Santa Barbara, the research will be published the April issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

Is some homophobia self-phobia?

I was literally talking to a gay guy today who said that, before he was out, he was very anti-gay because he didn't want people to think he was gay.

And of course, look at the politicians and religious folks and such who've supported anti-gay legislation only to be caught in gay scandals. I certainly do think that's a huge factor in many people's anti-gay attitudes, no question. And I can't imagine the toll that would take on one's psyche after a while.

yolland's bit on same-sex couples and divorce was pretty fascinating, too. Lesbians having to deal with custody issues-I guess I never really thought about it before, but I can see where that'd be a huge problem, definitely.

And it was also interesting to read about how they couldn't cite adultery because the courts had never had to deal with that sort of thing before. It's little details like that are further proof as to why we can't let rights for gay couples be a state by state thing, or country by country thing, or whatever. It should be allowed across the board. Otherwise, it gets so freaking complicated and confusing and there's more paperwork and hassle that really doesn't need to be there.

Also, this struck me, too, this comment from June in that article about why she got married:

but suddenly it felt like the right thing to do because we could.

I think that's kinda sad, that that's the biggest reason she was willing to get married. Not because she genuinely wanted to, but because she wanted to get the chance to finally do something others around her got to do for years.

Stuff like this explains so clearly why the anti-gay marriage attitude, and all the legislation supporting such attitudes, is so beyond fucked up.

And of course, look at the politicians and religious folks and such who've supported anti-gay legislation only to be caught in gay scandals. I certainly do think that's a huge factor in many people's anti-gay attitudes, no question. And I can't imagine the toll that would take on one's psyche after a while.

Stuff like this explains so clearly why the anti-gay marriage attitude, and all the legislation supporting such attitudes, is so beyond fucked up.

I think hatred/fear of a group of people is nurture, not nature. People are raised to think like this about others. That's why it's so important that we spread these messages to children, because often adults are beyond help in their beliefs. There are people I know in their 50s that genuinely believe that science hasn't yet proven you are born gay, and that it's a choice. As someone who had to take a bunch of child development and human sexuality classes in college (and thus reading studies on this) I can say that's not true at all.

Education is vital to the cause. We just need to convince ultra-conservative parents that we are not turning their children into satanists by having proper sexual education in schools....

One Million Moms, which is a coalition of (we assume) at least one million mothers, has found the latest threat to the angelic youth of America: the Urban Outfitters catalog. Specificially, the controversial, headline-sparking girl-on-girl makeout session photographed for page two of the the debatably fashionable retail outlet's Spring lookbook. Writing in an exciting, exclamation-laden blog post titled "Trash Your Teen's New Urban Outfitters Catalog Today!", the moms lay out their call to action:
WARNING! The April 2012 catalog from Urban Outfitters has begun arriving in home mailboxes the last couple of days. On page two of this catalog is a picture of two women kissing in a face holding embrace! The ad and catalog are clearly geared toward teenagers.
Ignoring for a moment that many of us wouldn't have thought twice to look at an Urban Outfitters catalog, had One Million Moms not brought this sultry item to our attention — We might also point out that the catalog is geared towards people who enjoy novelty books, USB-equipped record players, and pre-cut jorts, but no one seems to be concerned about those items which some of us clearly find offensive.
The Moms continue:
Before your child has a chance to read the newest Urban Outfitters catalog call to unsubscribe from their mailing list at 1-800-282-2200, and then throw it away. When you call be sure to let them know why you are unsubscribing. Tell them you will also no longer shop at their stores if you hear this type of advertising continues. The content is offensive and inappropriate for a teen who is the company's target customer.
OMM, for the record, is the same group that suggested we boycott Glee by leaning on the show's sponsors at Olive Garden and Chili's. And they might even have a thing or two in common with the hipster supply company — Urban Outfitters' CEO Richard Hayne, who also owns Free People, Anthropologie and one terrible combover, is a noted supporter of Rick Santorum's failed presidential campaign.
Anyhow, for now, millions of American teens will have to ask their cool, older friends to drive them to the mall to buy clothes they will later regret. Just like they always have.

Urban Outfitters Will Make Your Daughter A Lesbian, Worries Hate Group: SFist

Sometimes I want to laugh at such people. Really? Looking at a pic of two girls kissing would make others lesbians? In that case, I missed the boat a long time ago.

sorry but not every thing is black and white

as someone that has repeatedly voiced my support for legal gay marriage

I am not ready to condemn parents that may not want to deal with type of marketing

On page two of this catalog is a picture of two women kissing in a face holding embrace.

urbanoutfitters_kiss640.jpg
how is this selling clothes?

I am not ready to label 'a group' bigots,
just because they choose to expose things to their young children differently than I do.

Then unsubscribing from the mailing list is the right choice. You make the call as to how you're going to raise your children and what gets brought into your house. Best of luck with that. I hope parents in that vein are actually talking to their kids in a sensitive way about it

But if you're protesting and/or trying to ban anything remotely related to being gay like this group of "concern trolls," then yeah, you're a bigot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom