Saddam to be Executed next month.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=2751451

Saddam loses death sentence appeal: govt official

Dec 26, 2006 — BAGHDAD (Reuters) - An Iraqi appeals court on Tuesday upheld a ruling that Saddam Hussein should hang for crimes against humanity, Iraq's national security adviser told Reuters.

Under the statute governing the Iraqi High Tribunal, the death sentence must be carried out within the next 30 days.

The former Iraqi leader and two former aides were sentenced to death in November for crimes against humanity over the killings of 148 Shi'ites from the town of Dujail after he escaped assassination there in 1982.

"The court just upheld the verdict and sentence," Iraq's national security adviser Mowaffaq al-Rubaie told Reuters.

When asked if the court had confirmed a November 5 verdict, court spokesman Raed Juhi said: "Yes, I think so."

He said he expected the tribunal head to make a statement within an hour.

Saddam's half-brother Barzan al-Tikriti and former judge Awad al-Bander also received the death penalty for their part in the killing, torturing and deporting of hundreds of Dujailis. It was not immediately clear whether they too had lost their appeals.

In a comprehensive report last month, New York-based Human Rights Watch condemned the verdict as unsound, saying the court had been guilty of so many shortcomings that a fair trial had been impossible.

It said the court lacked the expertise for such a complex trial, had failed to give the defense advance notice of key documents, while statements by government officials had undermined its independence and perceived impartiality.

Copyright 2006 Reuters News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Justin24 said:
He is getting just punishment.

It is never just to take the life of another human being.

But we've been through this 10,000 times before and it just doesn't seem to sink in with you.

Axver I really do respect your opinion. But for me the only way I see real justice for a person who commited murder is for that person to be put to death. If your oppossed to it, thats fine.

but if you murdered the guy that committed murder, wouldn't that make you a person that committed murder, too?

and wouldn't that (by your own logic) mean that someone would have to execute you, too?

It would not be murder, because your giving the murderer due justice. If robbers steal they go to jail, but nothing else. I will never understand how any of you could not support the death of a tried and found guilty murderer (saddam) or anyone else.

'justice' is defined by human beings. and human beings interpret 'justice' differently.

to take a life is to take a life, regardless of whether you call it 'justice' or not.

don't forget, every time saddam and his culprits took a life, they called it 'justice' too.

Last edited:
What is so wrong about it? Since when did anyone care. Do you care about the homeless man you pass by, or your co-workers or friends so why care for someone who took the life of another person. Why feel bad that he is about to be put to sleep forever, far less painful than what his/her victims went through. Is it because we have evolved or because God told us to care?

Justice, to me, is rehabilitation. I don't see how killing someone rehabilitates them.

And if killing someone is the due punishment for a murderer, then why is jail the due punishment for a thief rather than simply stealing their possessions? Why is jail good enough "justice" for a thief but not a murderer?

Justin, your position is inconsistent and, frankly, barbaric.

I don't support the death penalty, and it does sort of bother me that he may have not been given a fair trail, but let's be honest - this isn't that big of a loss. I certainly won't shed any tears for this guy.

Axver said:
Justice, to me, is rehabilitation. I don't see how killing someone rehabilitates them.

And if killing someone is the due punishment for a murderer, then why is jail the due punishment for a thief rather than simply stealing their possessions? Why is jail good enough "justice" for a thief but not a murderer?

agreed:up:

Justin24 said:
What is so wrong about it? Since when did anyone care. Do you care about the homeless man you pass by, or your co-workers or friends so why care for someone who took the life of another person.

this doesn't make sense at all, justin.

Axver said:

How can my views be barbaric, when I have not killed anyone (well in video games) A thief never took anyones life. Do you go to the Pen and help rehabillitate the murderers? Or are you just saying something, to an affect?

U2Man said:

this doesn't make sense at all, justin.

It makes perfect sense. That you would care so much as to not see a murderer face execution, but could careless and just pass some one up on the street who may be hungry.

Justin24 said:

It makes perfect sense. That you would care so much as to not see a murderer face execution, but could careless and just pass some one up on the street who may be hungry.

wft?

Justin24 said:
What is so wrong about it?

It is murder. Your position that murder is wrong except when carried out by agents of the state strikes me as inconsistent.

Do you care about the homeless man you pass by

Of course.

or your co-workers or friends

Of course.

so why care for someone who took the life of another person.

Because they themselves are a human life. And hey, if I shouldn't care about their life, then why should I care about the life of the executioner? Let's put them to sleep too! Then let's put to sleep the person who put them to sleep! Oh, hell, why not put the whole human population to sleep!

Is it because we have evolved or because God told us to care?

Because I respect human life. Just because another individual didn't does not mean that I should drop my respect. I would rather see that person rehabilitated so that they may come to a place where they also share that respect, and if they are so whacked that they cannot come to that place, then they clearly have a mental dysfunction and should receive the care and treatment they require rather than being executed.

What I am saying is u obviously show some sort of remorse for the person on deathrow, because he dosent deserve to die, even though he/she may have killed a dozen people, or just one, and in a brutal manner too, but why should we execute him??

Axver said:

Wow, this is a great point! Tit for Tat doesn't sound like the right way! Just cos the guy killed people, are you gonna stoop to his level and take his life? Put him in a secure prison for the rest of his life instead.

Axver said:

Because I respect human life. Just because another individual didn't does not mean that I should drop my respect. I would rather see that person rehabilitated so that they may come to a place where they also share that respect, and if they are so whacked that they cannot come to that place, then they clearly have a mental dysfunction and should receive the care and treatment they require rather than being executed.

Execution is not MURDER period.

Let me ask you this, when someone commits murder is it because of animal instinct?

Justin24 said:

How can my views be barbaric, when I have not killed anyone

You advocate killing people. That is barbaric.

A thief never took anyones life.

But they took someone's stuff. Your position is inconsistent. You are arguing that if Person A takes a life, their life should be taken, so why are you not arguing that if Person B takes ssomeone's possessions, their possessions should be taken?

Why is jail rather than "an eye for an eye" sufficient justice for all crimes apart from murder?

Do you go to the Pen and help rehabillitate the murderers?

Of course not; I'm not trained to do that. Do you go to execution chambers and inject the lethal injection, or are you too just saying stuff?

Zootlesque said:

Wow, this is a great point! Tit for Tat doesn't sound like the right way! Just cos the guy killed people, are you gonna stoop to his level and take his life? Put him in a secure prison for the rest of his life instead.

I agree, life in prison is a much worse punishment:up:

Like I have said in a past thread on this kind of subject, that if a person wants to see that person have a stay of execution, then they should pay a special tax, as goes for people who want murderers executed.

xaviMF22 said:

I agree, life in prison is a much worse punishment:up:

right rape, prison gangs and wars, drugs and all that is perfect rehabillitation and punishment. It makes them worse and violent killing more people in jail.

Justin24 said:
Let me ask you this, when someone commits murder is it because of animal instinct?

No.

Also, define 'murder'. It would help if we could come to an understanding of the term before progressing, rather than using different definitions and accordingly talking past each other.

U2Man said:

explain the difference then.

The murderer had no regard for human life. The executioner does. He/she knows that this person who is going to die will never hurt anyone anymore in or out of prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom