Saddam Hussein sentenced to death....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AchtungBono

Refugee
It's totally unbelievable, just a few years ago this tyrant was terrorozing his people, living in golden palaces while his people starved, using chemical weapons on them, imprisoning them without trial, torturing, maiming, raping....and other unspeakable acts of cruelty. His sons were murderous maniacs who committed atrocities in their father's name....and the list is endless.

And look where he is now - in the prisoner's dock, sentenced to hang like the common criminal he is, brought to justice and made to pay the ultimate price for his crimes.

This couldn't have happened without the brave actions of the United States and the allies who are fighting a bitter war to bring this man and his cohorts to justice.

I pray that all the terrorist leaders will very soon follow in Husseins footsteps all the way up to the gallows, in order for the world to be rid of the cancer of terrorism.

It took 12 years and millions of lives until the Nazis were defeated and it will probably take longer to take down the terrorists leaders threatening our existance, but eventually their day of reckoning will come too, G-d willing.

G-d bless America and the allies.

+++

From the CNN website:

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A combative Saddam Hussein was sentenced Sunday to death by hanging for his role in a brutal crackdown nearly 25 years ago in Dujail -- the once obscure Iraqi town that is now a symbol of his regime's cruelty.

Also sentenced to death were Barzan Hassan, Saddam Hussein's half-brother and former head of the intelligence agency, and Awad Bandar, the former chief judge of the Revolutionary Court.

Taha Yassin Ramadan, the former vice president of Iraq, was sentenced to life in prison.

"This is very clear, and I tell the people today that the verdict was predetermined and has nothing to do with court proceedings," Ramadan said.

Mohammed Azzawi Ali, a former Dujail Baath Party official, was acquitted because of insufficient evidence against him, the court said.

The three others -- Abdullah Kadhem Ruwaid, Ali Dayem Ali and Misher Abdullah Ruwaid -- were sentenced to 15 years.

The 50-minute session was dramatic. Hussein entered with a Quran in hand, as he had in the past.

Hussein argued with the chief judge, shouting, "You are the servants of the occupiers."

He began yelling Allahu Akhbar -- God is great -- as the verdict and sentencing was read. "Don't push me, boy," he said after the judge ordered him taken away.

Bandar also screamed Allahu Akhbar as he was being taken out of court.

The verdicts come nearly three years after U.S.-led forces plucked Hussein out of hiding and just a few days before U.S. midterm elections, with the Iraqi war at center stage.

The defendants filed into the courtroom one by one to receive their sentences from a five-judge panel.

Defense attorney Ramsey Clark was also in court, but he was soon ousted by judges. The court asked Clark to leave, saying he had come here from America to mock the Iraqi people and this court.

The tribunal met in Baghdad to render verdicts for the co-defendants for their roles in a systematic attack on the Shiite town of Dujail after someone tried to assassinate Hussein during a visit on July 8, 1982. (Watch scenes from Dujail crackdown, Baghdad preparations -- 3:20 )

The tribunal met amid heavy security and sweeping curfews in Baghdad and elsewhere, as authorities brace for violent reactions to the verdicts. (Full story)

About 2,000 protesters in Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit on Sunday defied the government's curfew and demonstrated in support of the former leader.

A witness said the protesters carried posters of the former president and were shooting into the air.

The numbers of demonstrators grew after the sentence was announced. A complete movement ban -- both people and vehicles -- was imposed on Sunday in the provinces of Baghdad, Diyala and Salaheddin -- where Tikrit is located.

The Baghdad International Airport also shut down until further notice.

Each defendant found guilty can appeal. The sentences of life imprisonment and death allow for an automatic appeal.

There is no limit on how long the appellate judges have to review the case file, but the statute states that a death sentence should be carried out within 30 days after all appeals are exhausted.

Outbursts and walkouts
The Dujail trial, the first in what is a series of proceedings against former regime officials, began October 19, 2005, and ended July 27. It was a turbulent courtroom battle witnessed on TV across the globe.

It was marked by outbursts and harangues from Hussein and his co-defendants, lawyer walkouts, much-criticized court actions, and complaints from lawyers about poor security. There were grave concerns about security for legal teams and their families; three defense lawyers were killed. (Full story)

Witness testimony and prosecutors got their case across, however. According to court documents, the military, political and security apparatus in Iraq and Dujail killed, arrested, detained and tortured men, women and children in the town. Homes were demolished and orchards were razed.

The Revolutionary Court sentenced 148 males to death, with Saddam's signature ratifying the order.

But there were other deaths as well -- nine people were killed during the destruction of orchards, and many of the 399 people who had been detained were either killed or remain missing.

Hussein, Hassan and Ramadan were charged with willful killing, deportation or forcible transfer of population; imprisonment or other severe deprivation of physical liberty in violation of fundamental norms of law; torture; enforced disappearance of persons, and other inhumane acts of a similar character intentionally causing great suffering; or serious injury to the body or to the mental or physical health.

Bandar was charged with willful killing by issuing the death sentences for the 148 people.

The remaining defendants are lower-level Baath Party officials from Dujail, who were charged with informing on residents who later died in prison or were sentenced to death.

AchtungBono said:
It's totally unbelievable, just a few years ago this tyrant was terrorozing his people, living in golden palaces while his people starved, using chemical weapons on them, imprisoning them without trial, torturing, maiming, raping....and other unspeakable acts of cruelty. His sons were murderous maniacs who committed atrocities in their father's name....and the list is endless.

And look where he is now - in the prisoner's dock, sentenced to hang like the common criminal he is, brought to justice and made to pay the ultimate price for his crimes.

This couldn't have happened without the brave actions of the United States and the allies who are fighting a bitter war to bring this man and his cohorts to justice.

I pray that all the terrorist leaders will very soon follow in Husseins footsteps all the way up to the gallows, in order for the world to be rid of the cancer of terrorism.

It took 12 years and millions of lives until the Nazis were defeated and it will probably take longer to take down the terrorists leaders threatening our existance, but eventually their day of reckoning will come too, G-d willing.

I find it disgusting when people take pleasure in the fact that someone else has been sentenced to death.

Re: Re: Saddam Hussein sentenced to death....

namkcuR said:

I find it disgusting when people take pleasure in the fact that someone else has been sentenced to death.

I shouldn't be happy that someone so despicable was sentenced to die? Of course I take pleasure in it, just as I'll take pleasure in seeing the capture of Bin Laden and all of this friends.

Why do you find it disgusting? By what right does this excuse for a human being deserve to live when he didn't extend that luxury to thousands of people?

dazzlingamy said:
Horrible horrible man but no one has the right to sentence anyone to death. Life inprisonment is the best for him. His followers will make him a martyr, and he will clog up the judicial system for as long as possible.

Why do you write god G-d?

I write G-d because in the Jewish religion it is forbidden to write the full name of G-d when we refer to the allmighty.

When I talk about gods in general then its permitted.

dazzlingamy said:
Why do you write god G-d?

Haha! I was just wondering that too.

I also wonder why people write f**k, c**t and the like too.

Because then you are just as bad as him? Do you not see that? Yes there is no doubt they are despicable, digusting men, who took liberties with other peoples lives but NO ONE has the right to take a life, not them and NOT US.
He deserves life in prison, and face the people who's lifes he's ruined but death. No. That is not the right HUMAN way.

dazzlingamy said:
Because then you are just as bad as him? Do you not see that? Yes there is no doubt they are despicable, digusting men, who took liberties with other peoples lives but NO ONE has the right to take a life, not them and NOT US.
He deserves life in prison, and face the people who's lifes he's ruined but death. No. That is not the right HUMAN way.

No one who kills for pleasure deserves to live.

Why is it forbidden? Because he might smite you or something? or is it disrespectful to write his name. Do you say G dash D when you talk about him?

I agree indra, i don't know why people put little stars, just say the word, its just a word *shrugs* (though i did write see you next tuesday because i don't know how ok us peeps are with it and don't want to cause a meltdown in fym!)

AchtungBono said:

No one who kills for pleasure deserves to live.

But who are you to say who lives or dies. Who "deserves" to live or die? Yes he took other peoples life - that is WRONG. Therefore taking his life is WRONG. Can you not see that?

You think the worst punishment is death? To no longer live? Why? He dies and thats it. Life inprisonment is a much better solution!

The question really isn't about Sadam Hussien anymore - sadly he's old news, the Iraq situation doesnt just boil down to one man - and ultimately I don't think that his fate will have too much impact on the political situation on the ground (alhtough for sure for some he'll become a matyr to some).

For sure the bodycount will continue to rise in iraq (check out www.iraqbodycount.org who claim that around 50,000 civilian deaths have occurred since 2003 even if there half right that's still an unacceptable level) - to get a real feel of Iraq go view some of the alliance armies "home videos" on YouTube I'd suggest a quick look as it portrays a place far darker than we see on CNN.

One of the original targets of deposing Sadam was to stabalise iraq - 3 years in does anyone (both US/Aliance or Iraq government) have the plan on how to acheive this?

I'm generally opposed to the death penalty but in this case i'm not too sorry to see him go.

Oh, is that why they are fighting?

Because of Justice? They saw wrong, and they felt like it was the right thing to do to correct it?

Such noble motives...

I thought they were fighting because Saddam had weapons of mass destruction with which he could threaten us all? And he had ties with Al Quaida right?

Well, we all know by now those were blalant lies.

But did they really fight because of justice? The USA had no problem with Saddam while he was still on their side. They were more than happy to support him while he was fighting his war agianst Iran. Millions on deaths, but hey, who cares, let's support the guy, so what if he's a brutal dictator.

The USA has no problem with dictators, as long as those dictators are friendly towards to USA.

Here, number 10 on that list:
http://www.parade.com/articles/editions/2006/edition_01-22-2006/Dictators

Teodoro Obiang Nguema

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teodoro_Obiang_Nguema_Mbasogo

"Most domestic and international observers consider his regime to be one of the most corrupt, ethnocentric, oppressive and anti-democratic states in the world."

Now what did you think that Condoleezza Rice had to say to Mr. Mbasogo when he came to visit the United States in 2006?

You'd think she'd have a word with Mbasogo about his dictatorship and the conditions in his country right?

Heck no! He's producing 400.000 barrels of oil a day! 560 million more in the ground!

They're not gonna critize him! Nothing but kind words for Mr. Mbasogo!

Bush wants to bring democracy to the middle east.
Don't you think it's funny how he never ever seem to critize Saudi Arabia?

Why would he? They're his personal business partners and they are dear friends and close allies of the United States!

The situation of human rights in Saudi Arabia is generally considered to be very poor. The country is an absolute Islamic monarchy and is also the protector of Mecca and Medina, the key holy cities of Islam. Under the authoritarian rule of the Saudi royal family, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has enforced strict laws under a doctrine of Wahabism (a fundamentalist interpretation of sharia, Islamic religious law). Many freedoms as described in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights do not exist; it is alleged that capital punishment and other penalties are often given to suspected criminals without due process. Saudi Arabia has also come under fire for its oppression of religious and political minorities, torture of prisoners, and attitude toward foreign expatriates, homosexuality, and women. Although major human rights groups such as Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have repeatedly expressed concern about the states of human rights in Saudi Arabia, the kingdom denies that any human rights abuses take place. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has not ratified the International Convention against Torture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Saudi_Arabia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Saudi_Arabia

But hey, they're allies, so we don't mind!

Now you can call me a bit sceptical but i don't believe the USA did fight this war because of justice or because they saw wrong and wanted to do right. They want more control over the Middle East and it's oil. 9/11 gave them the perfect oportunity to invade Iraq.

Saddam was a brutal dictator who ran a very opressive regime.

That has nothing to do with terrorism.

I highly doubt that. "The War or Terror" can't be won and it will last as long as people are afraid and let themselves be frightenend.

Terrorism has been around for ages and i think it's highly unlikely that it'll ever go way.

You can either accept that or be frightened for the rest of your lives.

Now the policitians are more than happy to keep the United States frightend.

Fear is a great motivator.

Politicians used to promise a better future: "Vote for us and your life will be better!"

Now it seems to be "Vote for us or the terrorists will KILL you!"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-X-fDqQ-Xcc

Ads like these are making me sick. The terrorist want America to be afraid and live in fear. And what do the republicans do? They're frighening voters and make them live in fear! :D

Kinda funny when you think about it.

Also note how they're using Osama in there.

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

"I am truly not that concerned about him."
- G.W. Bush, repsonding to a question about bin Laden's whereabouts,
3/13/02 (The New American, 4/8/02)

Now you shouldn't worry about Bin Laden, he's only public enemy number one and he's not important (it's Saddam you should worry about!)... unless there's an eclection! Vote Republican unless Osama will KILL you!

Aaaaahhh!

I dunno, to me the USA has lost all credibility.

:applaud: - Excellent - Excellent post -

now can anyone answer the question of how to bring stability to iraq? - our political leaders have got us into this situation - how do we think they should get us out of it?

Nice present for the High Tribunal to give the President two days before the midterms in which the Republicans are endangered.

I'm not disputing the verdict, but was there any surprise? This was a political trial with a foregone conclusion and wrapped up nicely in time to give the President some badly needed advantageous PR.

AchtungBono said:

I am Jewish (albeit secular). I firmly believe that the death penalty is inconsistent with Jewish values. You need to do some thinking before you keep celebrating the death of others. Do you remember the story of the Jews crossing the Red Sea? A Rabbi of mine always told it this way: It closed around the Pharoah's army and many Jews began celebrating their deaths. Then a man stood up and asked why they were celebrating the death of anybody, and what would G-d think? Ashamed, they stopped celebrating.

(He of course tells it more eloquently but I haven't heard him tell it since my childhood.)

And with this sentence, how are Hussein's captors any better than Hussein?

The cycle of bloodlust and bloodthirsty vengeance continues.

Well, I think we can all agree that Saddam Hussein needs to be punished in one way or another.

This is a question of whether you are for or against death penalty in general.

at long last! the final throes! we've turned a corner!

now, with Hussein gone, the clouds will part, rainbows will stretch across a baghdad side, sunnis and shiites will toss aside their differences and embrace!

(as for the death penalty stuff, i'm fairly agnostic about the morality of it's use, it doesn't seem to be an effective punishment for crime and it's finality makes me come out against it, however, i do think it's silly to equivocate between Saddam and the hundreds of thousands he's killed and those who would execute Saddam)

Death by hanging...:|

I'd rather put him in the stocks and let the people he tortured throw rotten food at him.

Seriously though, killing him will not bring back the lives of those he killed, it will just bring more bloodshed. I say lock him up in solitary confinement or something to that effect. Make him watch American TV all day every day.

BonosSaint said:
Nice present for the High Tribunal to give the President two days before the midterms in which the Republicans are endangered.

I'm not disputing the verdict, but was there any surprise? This was a political trial with a foregone conclusion and wrapped up nicely in time to give the President some badly needed advantageous PR.

I agree.

And while I'm against the death penalty I think saying this makes his captors every bit as bad as him is a stretch- the thousands people he killed didn't get a trial.

I won't be especially sad to see him go, I just hope that in sentencing him they considered not only the effects on him but the ramifications for the country. I honestly don't know if the show of force will be good for Iraq in some way or if it will produce more violence than a life sentence would have. I can sort of see how it has the potential to do both.

BonosSaint said:

I guess I'm a bit more skeptical, so to me it's a nice gift for the President to give the Republican candidates. I believe he's still the one pulling all the strings over there, as far as government goes.

:down:

A gift for the mid-term election, and so much for "justice" Bush promised.

The man is being hung for apparent crimes that took place back in the day he was a "friend" to the U.S killing Iranians essentially on their behalf.
I guess it's time for Bush and Blair to face the noose too hey?After all they are indirectly responsible for many more deaths than Saddam Hussein could ever be accused of. (No i don't hate my country, just its's venal politicians who are selling us all down the river.)

BonosSaint said:

My thoughts exactly.

First of all, it's absolutely sickening that this was rigged for the verdict to come two days before the elections. Political manipulation at its finest - anyone want to bet that if Osama's caught in the next two years, he's going to get his death sentence only a few days before the 2008 elections? I put the odds at 3 to 1.

Secondly, they shouldn't kill him. His death is just going to piss off the insurgents even more. They ought to throw him into jail for life in the middle of Kurdistan, and toss away the key. Then he'll sure have time to regret his actions.

All I am going to say is he is getting what he deserves. People that is my opinion ok. And as for Dazzling. HE has his own religious view on why he does not want to mention God's full name. HE is not forcing you to believe in god. And I find it sad that you mock him by saying it's only a word. It seems you are forcing your non-beliefs onto others.

:der:

She's not forcing anything. Perhaps she's pushing it, but I think it's more curiosity about why he's doing it than anything.

Question for those who support him being put to death: what long-term advantage do you see by Saddam being killed now rather than spending the rest of his days in a maximum security prison? We all know how brutal life is in an Iraqi prison (think Abu Ghraib).

DaveC said:
:der:

She's not forcing anything. Perhaps she's pushing it, but I think it's more curiosity about why he's doing it than anything.

Question for those who support him being put to death: what long-term advantage do you see by Saddam being killed now rather than spending the rest of his days in a maximum security prison? We all know how brutal life is in an Iraqi prison (think Abu Ghraib).

Well he will still be alive. Media will still want to interview him which he could spread his message with or with out media to his followers. With the way things are in Iraq imagine they attacked the prison he is in to help him escape??

Justin24 said:
And as for Dazzling. HE has his own religious view on why he does not want to mention God's full name. HE is not forcing you to believe in god. And I find it sad that you mock him by saying it's only a word. It seems you are forcing your non-beliefs onto others.

sigh. AB was asked a question about the dash instead of an o in the proper noun God. AB answered and dazzlingamy asked a couple of other questions.

Perhaps you should re-read the rest of the reply. I'm pretty sure dazzlingamy's "it's just a word" comment was directed to my comment (only AB's initial post was up when I was typing my post, so I didn't see the reply until after I posted) regarding some people's use of asterisks in the word cunt (and occasionally the word fuck also). Everyone knows exactly what word is being used, so I don't see the point of the asterisks.

Back
Top Bottom