Saddam - executed !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Justin24 said:
My mom went to have lunch with s local priest. He talked about the execution and told her that no matter how bad anyone is you should always forgive. My mom agreed with him:huh: That he is a human being just like all of us. :huh:

OMG! same shit we've been sayin all along!!!! :shocked: I'm glad this is news to you...how many threads has this very thing been repeated over and over again??? :|

Justin24 said:
He talked about the execution and told her that no matter how bad anyone is you should always forgive. My mom agreed with him:huh:

Ever heard of this funky guy called Jesus and how he was all about forgiveness, grace, and mercy, both from him to his followers and from his followers towards all humanity?

That he is a human being just like all of us. :huh:

Well, Saddam was not a giraffe, was he?

Justin24 said:
When did anyone care about humanity, or even him period?

Uh, since the start of this discussion?

Justin, I don't mean to be insulting because I know you aren't trying to be an arsehole or a troll or anything, but have you being paying attention to what we say or not?

Justin24 said:
My mom went to have lunch with s local priest. He talked about the execution and told her that no matter how bad anyone is you should always forgive. My mom agreed with him:huh: That he is a human being just like all of us. :huh:

I don't know about the forgive part, I think the only people able to forgive him are the ones he's wronged so I would never forgive him, but the human being part is dead on. I don't see what is so hard to comprehend here.

Justin24 said:

Have you ignored everything the other posters have said in this thread and the other closed one?

I wonder if there is even a point in people replying to any of your posts.

Justin24 said:
Axver yes I have been. But I cannot back away from my view.

Why not? I think it has been proven to be thoroughly bankrupt.

Lara Mullen said:

Have you ignored everything the other posters have said in this thread and the other closed one?

I wonder if there is even a point in people replying to any of your posts.

No I have not ignored it. Just it all sounds the same like my words do to you.

Axver said:

Why not? I think it has been proven to be thoroughly bankrupt.

Because I am not Jesus, and I cannot forgive as easily as he can or condemn executions.

Justin24 said:

The thing is that we have presented an array of points and I feel you have replied to but a small smattering of them. Now, you may not feel this way, but it seems to me that every single point you have made has not only been comprehensively addressed, but also thoroughly refuted.

It would be far more fitting that the silence of Saddam's passing be deafening.

All of the bloviating here would be better served in the Ford thread; I think his passing is much more worthy of discussion.

Axver I like you. unfortunately I don't think you or anyone here will be able to change my ways of thinking when it comes to the life of the murderers who are about to be executed.

Why am narrowed minded? Is it because of my beliefs in pro-death penalty. So people who believe in that are narrow minded and sheep and people who are against it are more enlightened?

Justin24 said:
Axver I like you. unfortunately I don't think you or anyone here will be able to change my ways of thinking when it comes to the life of the murderers who are about to be executed.

I have to wonder, then, why bother continuing to contribute if your mind is already closed? I don't mean to imply that you aren't entitled to your opinion or to express it, but is there really much point in a discussion if you will not even consider the legitimacy of the other side's points?

(I, for the record, once supported the death penalty.)

Justin24 said:

Your posts are, quite franky, absurd. The fact someone could watch an execution shocks and sickens me. No matter who is being killed. The fact that someone will admit to seeing it and almost delight in that fact is worrying.

Why did you once support it? What changed your mind?

When you said my mind is already closed, I hope that was not meant in a rude way?

Lara Mullen said:

Your posts are, quite franky, absurd. The fact someone could watch an execution shocks and sickens me. No matter who is being killed. The fact that someone will admit to seeing it and almost delight in that fact is worrying.

Answer this. Do you watch action films, where people are killed in the films?? If you do aren't you enjoying the main character waste all the bad guys to save the world or his lover, or family?

Justin24 said:
Why am narrowed minded? Is it because of my beliefs in pro-death penalty. So people who believe in that are narrow minded and sheep and people who are against it are more enlightened?

Mate I answer this with another question :

Did you ever watched a person die ? Not in video whatever , but u in the same room , did u ever watch an execution like this ?

Justin24 said:
don't think you or anyone here will be able to change my ways of thinking when it comes to the life of the murderers who are about to be executed.

When you said my mind is already closed, I hope that was not meant in a rude way?

Bluer White said:
All of the bloviating here would be better served in the Ford thread; I think his passing is much more worthy of discussion.

I disagree. Now, Ford is the post-WWII US President about whom I know the least, but I very much doubt that his passing warranted this bickering.

Some of you seem to be confusing lengthy debate for respect.

Personally, I posted in Ford's RIP thread. Yes, I know it was just a full stop, which may not initially appear to be much compared to my posts regarding Saddam. However, I consider it far more significant than anything I have written about Saddam as it is meant to signify a minute of silence. I'm not giving Saddam a minute of silence.

J_NP said:

Mate I answer this with another question :

Did you ever watched a person die ? Not in video whatever , but u in the same room , did u ever watch an execution like this ?

Nope, have you? Only from what I have seen on film.

Lara Mullen said:

It actually turns my stomach. And then we crow about the Saudis executing people in soccer stadiums.

If you want to watch a person being killed, to me that brings up questions of the worth and value of life to you. I remember once coming out of a bomb shelter, I think I was 11 and seeing people running to collect body parts on the street. I cannot imagine what human being would elect to watch a man die, any man. What of your humanity are you losing in exchange for that?

Justin24 said:

When I say narrow minded, I'm referring to how Axver (I believe it was) pointed out that all of your points had been refuted, and you say that you have to hold on to your opinion.

I'm not judging your opinion right now. I'm just curious as to why you are clinging to it. That's why people are posting the :bang: smiley, because you don't even acknowledge our points. We respond to yours, but your usual response to our points is something emotional or condenscending.

I jusst wanna know why you aren't open to other schools of thought.

Bluer White said:
It would be far more fitting that the silence of Saddam's passing be deafening.

Some of us did try.

After expressing that I did hold Ford in some esteem, a poster on this forum asked me if I was on drugs. So, I frankly did not choose to continue that futile effort.

Lara Mullen said:

mind is set but does not mean it can't change. Not Closed. But it will be very difficult for you to budge me into the anti-death penalty crowd.

Justin24 said:

Answer this. Do you watch action films, where people are killed in the films?? If you do aren't you enjoying the main character waste all the bad guys to save the world or his lover, or family?

No. I avoid movies of that nature.

You're talking about films. This is about real, human life.

redhotswami said:

When I say narrow minded, I'm referring to how Axver (I believe it was) pointed out that all of your points had been refuted, and you say that you have to hold on to your opinion.

I'm not judging your opinion right now. I'm just curious as to why you are clinging to it. That's why people are posting the :bang: smiley, because you don't even acknowledge our points. We respond to yours, but your usual response to our points is something emotional or condenscending.

I jusst wanna know why you aren't open to other schools of thought.

Why am I clinging to this? Because until recently my aunts and uncles told me that my one uncle died from a gun shot by his former professor.

Justin24 said:
Why did you once support it? What changed your mind?

I would characterise my support for the death penalty as an immature emotional reaction, formed as a preteen before I had a true grasp on the value of life. Around when I was 16-17, I began questioning this and I reached the conclusions that have formed the basis of my argument in this and other threads. I don't recall quite when I definitively changed my opinion, probably around my 18th birthday. My stance has only become further solidified since becoming a pacifist.

Certainly not. I only referred to your mind as closed because you yourself essentially admitted to it through your statement that your opinion cannot be changed.

Justin24 said:

Nope, have you? Only from what I have seen on film.

Now have u ever seen a person in a hospital or in a street really dying in agony ........ ?

How think if u would feel after u watched something like

Or worse An Execution , you think u would still defend it ?

Back
Top Bottom