Sachs Receives Compassion Award For AIDS Work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

100% bOB

The Fly
The Waldron News - October 20, 2004

"Mr. Carl Sachs (ie. Dad) was recently presented the 'Compassion Award'. Sachs is an extraordinary and tireless HIV prevention education worker. He has done so much with no funding that he has earned a reputation as a miracle worker. He has worked on World AIDS Day at Arkansas Tech University for the last three years and at the University of Central Arkansas for one year. At these colleges he collected over 10000 surveys in one year along about what people knew or wanted to know about HIV/AIDS.

Carl was instrumental in organizing the Prevention in the Park Fair in Scott County and coordinated with at least 12 other agencies to make the fair a reality. The Scott County Health Unit was also instrumental in helping with this event.

Carl will talk up safer sex with anyone at any venue at any opportunity. He has been a member of Arkansas Community Planning Group since the formation of ARCPG 12 years ago. While a member of ARCPG he has served on the committee to draft their bylaws and on the ARCPG Nomination Committee to review new member applications. Carl's grassroots approach to HIV prevention sets an example for all of us in the HIV prevention effort to follow.

The Compassion Award is a true representation of the compassion shown by each recipient to those persons in our community who live with HIV/AIDS. It is a symbol of our gratitude for their contribution, hard work and giving spirits. It is crafted in the form of a human torso with an enlarged hand which is shaped in the deaf symbol for 'love and compassion'. The award is truly an unique work of art that is presented to some truly unique individuals. It represents the best in each of us."

Dad received VIP passes to the festivities at Bill Clinton's library this week. Bono and Edge are scheduled to perform this coming Thursday at the event. Due to various reasons, he and Mom will probably not be able to attend the event.

Last year, my father was forced to retire early from work due to various health problems. I found out yesterday that since he retired early alot of his health benefits and pension were alot less than they need to survive. Also, Mom suffers from various health issues, and uses oxygen daily.

Anyway, Dad is a very proud man, but I was able to talk him into possibly selling the VIP passes on eBay or another site. They need the money much more than they need to see Bono and The Edge, so don't be surprized if you see the tickets on eBay in the next couple days.

Congratulations to your father for being recognized for all of his hard work. :up:

I also love your webpage link in your profile and your poem.
I liked your quote on the bottom.

"EVIL occurs when a good man does nothing!"

Indifference is the problem today.

Thanks for the very kind words. I would never have known about the award and/or newspaper clipping if it weren't for Mom. Dad doesn't like to brag about his community service things.

Back
Top Bottom