Rush Limbaugh calls for riots at Democratic convention - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2008, 08:22 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

Thanks. So that's supposed to be the evidence for "literal riots. Al Sharpton has promised them!" according to Limbaugh? Come on.

What about Jackson? Where's his alleged riot-promising statement?
If I said he PROMISED a riot I overstepped. The good Rev's have been on record implying there would be demonstrations and I believe from Jackson "1968" all over again.

Its call Prophesy of Self Fullfillment - If as a leader you say it could/would happen it increases the chances it will.

They are leaders in their community and their comments in my opinion are more inciteful than anything Rush said. They are certainly not saying, the African American community will continue to work through the democratic process and behave in a dignified mannner should Obama lose.

They are borderline making veiled threats.

And Rush's statments - As big an ass as I find the man - were not even close to inciting anything.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #42
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

And Rush's statments - As big an ass as I find the man - were not even close to inciting anything.
I haven't found an exact transcript, so I'm curious, did he not say anything about "and his listeners have a responsibility to make sure it happens.", like the first article suggested?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:08 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I haven't found an exact transcript, so I'm curious, did he not say anything about "and his listeners have a responsibility to make sure it happens.", like the first article suggested?
I may very well not be on top of my game. I will have to go back and look for it. The quote I read, and with his show, maybe I am reading the wrong quote led me to believe he hoped that there would be riots ensuring a republican victory in nov. Not that he wanted his listeners to incite riots.

I am not bringing my A game to the forum currently. Maybe I missed it.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #44
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
If I said he PROMISED a riot I overstepped. The good Rev's have been on record implying there would be demonstrations and I believe from Jackson "1968" all over again.

They are certainly not saying, the African American community will continue to work through the democratic process and behave in a dignified mannner should Obama lose.

They are borderline making veiled threats.

The "promised" quote was from Limbaugh; you referred to "Rev. Jackson and Rev. Sharpton's prediction of riots."

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/dai...112.guest.html
Quote:
CALLER: ...your comment about wanting your Operation Chaos to go all the way, like back to 1968 with riots in the streets, turned over burning cars, and I believe you even said "literally"...

RUSH: I did say literal riots. Al Sharpton has promised them!
I haven't been able to find an article, transcript or video giving the context for whatever it was Jesse Jackson said, so I couldn't comment there. Demonstrations aren't innately undemocratic or undignified, and especially since you seemed rather angry yourself with what you called the "criminal" prospect of Clinton possibly managing to get MI and FL's delegates seated in your thread on that topic back in Feb., I'm a little puzzled why you're seeing veiled threats of riots in talk about demonstrations should she win through a superdelegate majority instead (which, granted, would be legal, but would obviously be perceived as party higher-ups overriding the actual primary and caucus results).

I don't disagree with you about Rush's statements; they weren't incitement.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης