Rosie O'Donnell Unleashes Racist Tirade!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Racist tirade" is quite an exaggeration. "Joke in poor taste" is more like it, in this instance.

Regardless, Rosie should have known better.

From the woman who sang the national anthem the way she did at that Padres game, does her capacity for offensiveness suprise anyone? Sadly since google bought youtube everything good has been taken off so I can't provide the ever so amusing but sad link.

A poorly thought-out joke, and nothing more. Slightly bigoted maybe, but outright racist is a stretch.

Either way, everything that comes out of her mouth sounds like that to me - unintelligible :der:

How is this woman so successful in American entertainment? :scratch:

Dave - I have no idea why she's famous, never really got her - I just don't think she's funny.

Hasn't she adopted Chinese kids or something? I really think calling her comment racist is going overboard, and that's coming from someone that doesn't like her. Especially since she's so clearly being set up by the Jews.

Racist tirade? No. Pathetic, bigoted joke? Yes. It's such a poor, un-funny joke that I doubt even the racially bigoted would have laughed a whole lot.

At least some of the comments over on YouTube gave me some stuff to submit to Fundies Say The Darndest Things ...

UberBeaver said:
Dave - I have no idea why she's famous, never really got her - I just don't think she's funny.

Hasn't she adopted Chinese kids or something? I really think calling her comment racist is going overboard, and that's coming from someone that doesn't like her. Especially since she's so clearly being set up by the Jews.

Her "maybe having" adopting Chinese kids doesn't make it any more OK... I mean it's like my saying I have a black friend so I'm entitled to make racist jokes or "slightly bigoted" jokes. Let's see her try that schtick in a Chinese Buffet!

Meh who cares. You're telling me someone doing an overblown Italian or Jamaican accent on network TV is now being racist?

Puh-leease.

Canadiens1160 said:
Meh who cares. You're telling me someone doing an overblown Italian or Jamaican accent on network TV is now being racist?

Puh-leease.

You, sir don't understand the power of words and how hurtful they are to an ethnic minority, especially if they have been used in a way to degrade and humiliate said ethnic minority. Ask any Asian person, and I bet you the majority of them will say that if they've been verbally attacked by another person from another race, those people tend to not just yell out "motherfucker or son-of-a-bitch" or any other popular curse but they also tend to slip in a few ching, chong, changs. I've seen it happen when hanging with my Asian friends while out on the town. If Rosie wanted to really do that joke she should have had the common courtesy to learn the language and done her faux newscast in proper Cantonese or Mandarin so as to not offend people.

ching chong chang = the n-word to Asians. Well actually, it's actually 3 words that equal one word. No math jokes please.

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:

You, sir don't understand the power of words and how hurtful they are to an ethnic minority, especially if they have been used in a way to degrade and humiliate said ethnic minority. Ask any Asian person, and I bet you the majority of them will say that if they've ever been verbally attacked by another person from another race, people tend to not just yell out "motherfucker or son-of-a-bitch" but they also tend to slip in a few ching, chong, changs. If Rosie wanted to really do that joke should could have had the common courtesy to learn the language so as to not offend people.

I'm extremely skinny - I stand 5'10" and weight 125 lb - and have been all my life. I took so much shit for it in grade school that I nearly killed myself a couple times. I've heard every name in the book and heard "why don't you just eat more?" so often I want to punch people when they say it to me now. It's genetic, it's who I am; I eat way more (we're talking thousands of calories more) than most people my age and still never gain a pound. I tried working out this summer for about four months before school took away my time. I know it's a short amount of time, but again I saw literally zero gains, and I was doing everything right.

I've accepted this fact that it's who I am. I know there's nothing wrong with me, I still function perfectly normally. I still have a brain that works just as well as anyone's, and over the years I've learned how to use words to make up for what I lack in muscle power. As a result, I've been able to talk my way out of nearly every fight I've ever been challenged to. Some might say that makes me a coward - I say I learned to use my strengths and forget my weaknesses.

The point is this: if someone on TV makes a joke about Nicole Richie or whatever and then turns it into a rip on skinny people, I could care less. I'm cool with who I am; that's not to say that I won't keep trying to improve myself and get into better shape, which I plan on doing (once these damn exams are over!) by going back to the gym. But if it's a part of me and I can't change it without extreme amounts of work, then so be it. I'm not going to let someone who makes a "manorexia" joke offend me. They just refuse to see past my body type, and frankly I'm better off without people like that around.

I know being skinny isn't quite the same as racism (you can't hit the gym and become a black person, for example), but you have to keep in mind that race is an entirely human construct built only since the 1500s or so to justify the Atlantic slave trade. And since it's created entirely by humans, humans can choose how much importance is placed on it. Taking great offense at something like this places more importance on the division of race, rather than the fact that "Homo sapiens sapiens" is the only division that matters to nature, and serves the purpose of racism more than it does to solve the problem.

This is why I don't support people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson while at the same time supporting their ideologies. Claiming an issue is a "race" issue, no matter how good your intentions are, only reinforces the arbitrary divisional system that exists.

I'm not saying these types of "jokes" should be excused or become commonplace in the name of equality, I'm saying that taking enormous amounts of righteous offense at a "joke" about race doesn't help the situation any more than the "joke" itself does.

One further observation before I go: Does it strike anyone as odd that if Dave Chappelle went on television and did the exact same thing, it would be absolutely gut-bustingly funny? I realize Chappelle's Show is (was) satire, but there are no white comedians on television doing racial comedy (Sarah Silverman being the only exception I can think of, and even still her provocative stuff is kept to paying audiences at stand-up shows who know what they're going to see beforehand), and I venture even further to say that if such a show existed (ie if Dave Chappelle was a white guy) it wouldn't be on the air past the pilot episode. Again, I don't want to sound like I'm advocating Rosie's "joke"...I'm just extraordinarily wired right now and procrastinating like hell, and a lot of interesting (at least to me) thoughts and observations are coming out of me right now.

I really think I ought to switch to decaf. :hyper:

Wow... why does it seem like Rosie gets a pass and someone like Kramer is supposedly "spewing hate that comes from a dark place?" In the context of the situation, Kramer's rant wasn't any more offensive than other comedians' responses to hecklers. Look at a Bill Hicks or a Joe Rogan for examples. People will say, that Richards, himself, said he was wrong in saying what he said but IMO he was forced into admitting he was wrong b/c he was fearful of the true end/ death of his career.

Rosie just marginalized the language(s) of an entire ethnicity. If people are offended by the n-word being used on blacks than they should be offended when someone starts spouting ching chong chang to an Asian. The words may sound funny to one's ears, but it's akin to saying "n****r" to a lot of American Asians. I talked to a friend of mine who is Korean, and he was deeply offended by it and he compared it, to being akin to black face. Try that ching chong chang shit on a group of Asian American guys it and I will guarantee it will engender the same response you would get if you said n****r to a group of black guys. Some of you may think the n- word isn't a big deal, which is fine by me (which is where I agree with Dave C) but there are probably some of you who do but think Rosie's joke was "just a bad joke" but get all hot bothered when someone uses the "n-word." I think, those people need to think about it a little more.

Last edited:
where did Rosie use a slur?

or are we just bashing her because she's a well known leftist?

i hear lisps and effeminate male voice ALL THE TIME when peope impersonate homosexuals, and while i might feel misrepresented, this is far, far, far different from someone calling someone else "faggot."

i laughed at all the "brokeback" parodies.

:shrug:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
one marginalized a language.

one used a slur and suggested they would have been lyched.

You don't see a difference?

The difference is that it was in a comedy routine. Seeing other routines from people who go blue, Kramer's "tirade" may have sucked and but wasn't that shocking to me.

Hell, I've heard people say that if Richards had just left it at the lynching joke, he wouldn't have gotten the response he did. It was his use of the n-word that pissed people off.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:
or are we just bashing her because she's a well known leftist?

While I agree that what Rosie said was in poor taste and a bad joke, I have a hunch this is a big part of why people are jumping all over her.

Many of the homophobic comments in that YouTube link of her "tirade" are much more offensive than her racist joke.

Back
Top Bottom