Rioters are Muslims, but don't say it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
So this is what "freedom" is all about...

Rioters are Muslims, but don't say it
By David R. Sands and Sharon Behn
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
November 10, 2005

The rioters who have burned out neighborhoods in cities across France for a fortnight are overwhelmingly of North African and Arab ancestry, overwhelmingly young, overwhelmingly male, overwhelmingly cut off culturally and economically from the larger French society -- and overwhelmingly Muslim.

But saying they're Muslim is a subject of angry dispute. French officials downplay the religious connections, and some newspapers, particularly in the United States, avoid identifying the rioters as Muslim.

For the moment at least, the frenzy may be subsiding. With curfews in Paris and more than two dozen other cities, and a 12-day state of emergency in effect, French authorities reported yesterday a decline in reports of violence. Car burnings fell by nearly half. But vandals attacked a number of sites, including a large store in the north and a newspaper warehouse near Nice.

Rest of article:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/world/20051110-122503-2518r.htm

square-large-coulter.jpg

The Muslim rioters have also been forced into living in a society in which they have not been accepted. I do not agree that it is because of the religion they are rioting.

I have yet to see evidence.

I do not feel there is any grand conspiracy here...on the part of the press. I think there may be an attempt at understanding of the why this is happening.

The other thread in this topic has been eye opening to me about the impoverished conditions they are living under.

Most of these rioters were born in France. Their parents or maybe grandparents are immigrants. So they're Arabic, but they also are French citizens. It's not enough to simply state that they are Muslim because they are not only members of that religion, they are French by birth and familiarity. They have dual identities. Few Americans have dual citizenship so it's not something we understand easily.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
The Muslim rioters have also been forced into living in a society in which they have not been accepted. I do not agree that it is because of the religion they are rioting.

I have yet to see evidence.

I do not feel there is any grand conspiracy here...on the part of the press. I think there may be an attempt at understanding of the why this is happening.

The other thread in this topic has been eye opening to me about the impoverished conditions they are living under.

:up:

But we love our conspiracy theories.:| Especially when we can bash someone else's religion why we're at it.

It's quite discusting.

i didnt know anyone was 'not' saying it... thought that was sort of the point of all the indignant outrage.

like its even our country, in most cases.

I wonder if you all noticed that almost all rioters were young men with dark hair.... :scratch: :scratch:
Dark-haired young men are evil!!! We schould kill them all!!!

[I'm off to the chemist to get me some hydrogen peroxide]

I am more concerned that we may be witnessing a group of Muslim men feeling that the world does not give a shit about them. Where are they going to turn to? Bin Laden?

It reminds me of how Bono talks about Africa as an opportunity to stop a terrorist from being born, by looking at the problem and showing some compassion.

So, by your logic, was the riot in Toledo, Ohio a Christian riot?

And when Oklahoma City was bombed, was it bombed by Christians?

Melon

maybe there's some truth to the idea that disaffected young Muslim men in Europe are right now more susceptible to being encouraged to separate themselves and view themselves as outsiders. I don't know. I think it's ignorant to call this the "french intifada" or whatever...but it seems like many of the children of Muslim immigrants to Europe feel caught between cultures, and discrimination only pushes them away. :shrug:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:up:

But we love our conspiracy theories.:| Especially when we can bash someone else's religion why we're at it.

It's quite discusting.

Because we've never seen conspiracy threads about Christianity in FYM...

verte76 said:
Most of these rioters were born in France. Their parents or maybe grandparents are immigrants. So they're Arabic, but they also are French citizens. It's not enough to simply state that they are Muslim because they are not only members of that religion, they are French by birth and familiarity. They have dual identities. Few Americans have dual citizenship so it's not something we understand easily.

It is so much easier to point the fingers at the religion as the cause than to look at the root cause.

I would say this, compare it to the Rodney King riots, this is a whole bunch tamer.

Back
Top Bottom