Right to Bear Arms on Docket...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A_Wanderer said:
Good thing that nobody is making the case that self-defence justifies the right to own a gun.

So then after self defense and defending against the government which are both shot down now... what is the case?

dazzlingamy said:
no my point in self defence is, the aim of it shouldn't be death. Most people shooting a weapon are going to cause big problems cause they arn't aiming for the leg or arm or something, they just wildy shoot at the head.

Shooting in the upper leg is not less dangerous than in the upper body.
In case of self defense you can't demand for everyone to be a sharpshooter who is able to aim at non-lethal points of a body.
And again, a knife is not a less dangerous weapon, don't fool yourself.

Yes, in case you can run away it is, of course.
But in case you got attacked and cannot run away, it is dangerous to think it's just a knive.
I didn't say it is the same getting attacked by a gun or a knive, but that it is dangerous to view an attacker armed with a knive as being not that dangerous.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

So then after self defense and defending against the government which are both shot down now... what is the case?

Hunting?

^ I do think the much larger numbers of handguns Americans own, compared to citizens of any other country, is an important factor here. I posted some data awhile back on gun ownership (by gun type) vs. homicide rates in various countries. Our enormous rates of gun theft and illegal gun possession likewise need to be factored in--30-40% of firearms in the US are illegally acquired, according to the FBI, and some 500,000 guns are stolen here every year. Unfortunately, more guns on the (legal) market winds up meaning more illegally acquired ones as well; it's simply too easy to steal and/or illegally trade them.

Back
Top Bottom