revising history...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
No Founding Fathers? That's our new history.
By Ellen Sorokin

The Washington Times

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin are not included in the revised version of the New Jersey Department of Education history standards ? a move some critics view as political correctness at its worst. Top Stories
The Pilgrims and the Mayflower also are excluded, as well as the word "war," which has been replaced with "conflict" in lessons about the early settlers, colonization and expansion.
Also gone are most references to the inhumane treatment many American soldiers endured in wars overseas during the 20th century. However, the standards specifically note that students should identify slavery, the Holocaust and modern Iraq as examples "in which people have behaved in cruel and inhumane ways."
The latest revisions to the state standards have disappointed educators across the country, who said the board's exclusion of the Founding Fathers' names is "political correctness at the end of the nth degree."
"This is what you call a historical irresponsibility," said David Saxe, a Penn State University education professor who reviews state history standards nationwide for the Thomas B. Fordham Foundation in Washington. The foundation gave the New Jersey history standards a failing grade the last time it reviewed them.
New Jersey's current history standards, which also exclude most historical figures, were approved in 1996. Those standards were revised earlier this month and have not yet been approved by the state.
State school officials argue they do not need to list all the well-known historical figures ? like other states' history or social studies standards do ? because teachers will know they have to talk about the country's first president and the other Founding Fathers when the lesson on American history comes up.
"It's pretty obvious what needs to be taught," said Jay Doolan, the acting assistant commissioner of the state's Division of Academic and Career Standards.
State educators said the standards do include a requirement that students "recognize the names of some major figures in American history" ? a generalization that Mr. Saxe said is a "cop out."
"It's unimaginable to us why teachers wouldn't teach students about George Washington when they talk about the new nation," Mr. Doolan said. "It's also hard to imagine that when our students learn about Thanksgiving, that they won't learn about the Pilgrims, who they were and why they came here. ... We don't intentionally exclude certain names. But how long should the list of names be? Who do we include or not include?"
Some states like Virginia and Indiana also don't include the Pilgrims in their standards. In some cases, the Pilgrims are referred to as early settlers, early Europeans, European colonizers or newcomers, although most textbooks still call them Pilgrims.
"[The word] Pilgrim implies religion," said Brian Jones, vice president for Communications and Policy at the Education Leaders Council in Washington. "It's getting more difficult to talk about the Bible and the Puritans."
But if the state leaves out specific names and events in its standards, then teachers must defer to history textbooks that are written by national and state committees, Mr. Saxe argued.
"We're still at the mercy of the textbook, and that defeats the purpose of standards," Mr. Saxe said. "This pretty much lets classroom teachers do what they want. I have no trouble with that if it's a competent teacher. But what about those who are not?"
Mr. Doolan said the state board does not set a state curriculum but rather a general guideline, which local school districts then use to come up with their own lesson plans.
The state also writes a curriculum framework, which includes a "Suggested Topics" section recommending what teachers should teach. The current framework, adopted in 1999, suggests that teachers teach about the administrations of Washington, John Adams and Jefferson.
The 1999 framework will most likely be revised when the new history standards are adopted.
"Our standards have always been fairly general because it's up to the districts to follow up on them," Mr. Doolan said. "The districts will take the standards and flesh out what contents should be taught."
Although state board officials did not include any Founding Fathers or other well-known American figures, they did add, in their first draft, the names of slavery opponents Theodore Dwight Weld and Angelina and Sarah Grimke in the section about the Civil War and Reconstruction period.
Why include them and not Washington or Jefferson? "We wanted to make sure to include those three names because they're not readily known to most and we don't know whether the teachers will know to teach them," Mr. Doolan said.
John Fonte, a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute in Washington, charged that the state of New Jersey is not interested in getting to the core of American history. "Obviously, there are anti-patriotic forces at work at the New Jersey legislature."
Mr. Fonte is referring to the 13-year-long debate that has gone on in the state legislature on whether to allow public school students to recite a passage from the Declaration of Independence.
Last summer, the New Jersey state legislature rejected the measure, which would have required students to recite a 56-word passage from the document every day.
Some opponents said reciting the passage would do little to improve students' understanding of history. Others argued the passage ? which begins "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal" ? was insensitive to women and blacks. That phrase was written at a time when slavery was legal in the United States.
Mr. Doolan said the new history standards are only in their first draft and will undergo 20 public hearings before approval. "If people are that upset, then they should let us know at the public hearings," he said. "If we get feedback from people who think we should include the names of George Washington or Thomas Jefferson in the standards, then we'll do it."

~I want to vommit now.

Originally posted by brettig:
strikes me as the sort of thing australian educators would do, i thought u guys respected your history...

Every country has things not to be proud of, how much was accurate about what you were taught bert?

Sice I am in the process of becoming a history teacher, this sickens me. I am off to check IL standards. If IL is also part of this PC bull I will hand in my lesson plans to meet the standards but teach what I feel is relevant.

I do find this disconcerting myself. I've always been a proponent of objectivity as close as humanly possible. However, this is obviously slanted too far left. In fact, I don't think we should be teaching anything but factual objectivity when it comes to history. When you speak of our Founding Fathers, speak of their noble causes to create the United States, but also speak of the fact that, as new world aristocrats, they were snubbed by the British aristocrats as virtual white trash, which partly sparked them to start the Revolution. Give them credit where due and give critique where necessary.

The biggest problem in history today is revisionism and romanticism, whether it be right or left-wing. For example, when you speak of Iraq, speak of the factual circumstances around it. Why did Saddam Hussein decide to invade Kuwait? I seriously doubt it was just to piss people off, even if his reasoning was twisted and off-base. Hopefully, by factual argument alone, people should figure out that it was evil.

Unfortunately, it is painfully obvious that too many interest groups, right and left-wing, wish to paint history in colors favorable to their causes. History should not be used as a tool to inspire patriotism and nationalism, or, on the flip side, hatred and revulsion. Never is history that black-and-white. We seem to fear the truth, but, unless we can learn this truth, we will never learn from our mistakes. We will be bound to repeat them, not only failing our next generations, but failing ourselves in our duty to teach it.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Thing is, things like the Founding Fathers and the Pilgrims are things we SHOULD be proud of.

Yes, yes, they were all white, male landowners, but the precedent the Pilgrims began (the quest for religious freedom) and the documents and country the Founding Fathers forged are some of the greatest in human history.

I mean, we should include the mistakes we made, but we should also champion the things we did right: among them, the War for Independence, the Civil War, and World War II; the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution; and extending the freedoms of the Constitution to women and to people of all colors and creeds.

My college Economics professor was a libertarian who opened the first day of class with the statment that "Political Correctness is a blindfold of the truth."

When I graduated a few years later with a History degree, my conclusion was that "Revisionist history is a blindfold of the truth." I was fortunate to have a very knowledgeable and qualified U.S. history professor through much of my study who, during his lectures, would point out inconsistencies in revisionist history, and there were many.

Yes, Melon, I even agree with you on this one.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom