Restrictions on New AIDS Funding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is something I posted in another thread. I thought it applied here as well. The President is claiming that the "Almighty" is telling us to liberate Iraq. Here was my response:

The President has pledged 15 Billion Dollars to help AIDS in Africa. Without getting into the politics around this issue.....Let's look at what he is pledging to our "GOOD ALLY" Turkey so that we can use the bases for a WAR that the United Nations has not given approval for. Turkey is being offered "26 Billion Dollars" in aid. WE are offering an entire continent 15 Billion in for AIDS and 26 Billion to one country for WAR. The "Almighty" must really want the War or the Almighty must not be speaking loudly enough on AIDS.

the funnier part is Turkey is claiming this 26 Billion is not enough:ohmy:
Turkey is lobbying for an additional 5 Billion,saying 31billion should be "just about the right amount"

DB9

One thing that you failed to mention Dreadsox, prob not on purpose, but the supposedly promised $15B for AIDS in Africa? THat's over 10 years.

The poor souls will be lucky to even see a penny of the first $2B of it, inexplicably delayed till next year sometime, with the way things are going now.

:censored: Bush.

:down:

Well, if the "Almighty" had his priorities straight in his conversations with GW this would not have happened. Jesus took up the sword instead of healing the sick right?

Dreadsox said:
Well, if the "Almighty" had his priorities straight in his conversations with GW this would not have happened. Jesus took up the sword instead of healing the sick right?

This is insanity. :censored: :censored: :censored:

BostonAnne said:

Of course I'll join you Sherry!

I am looking forward to getting to the other side of these road blocks.

Thanks girl! I'll try to get something together soon!

Any info ANYone has on the drug companies behind this will help me.

SD

Sherry Darling said:
Those were terrific articles! If I post a letter here to the drug companies, will you all join me in sending it? :D :angel: Anyone know which companies we're talking about, perchance?

Thanks for this informative thread!

SD

Heck, yes, I'll write letters to the drug companies.

I think this paragraph from this coming week's NEWSWEEK says quite a bit with a very short reference to the 15 Billion Dollars. This is where the money is going:

Bush believes in God?s will?and in winning elections with the backing of those who agree with him. As a subaltern in his father?s 1988 campaign, George Bush the Younger assembled his career through contacts with ministers of the then emerging evangelical movement in political life. Now they form the core of the Republican Party, which controls all of the capital for the first time in a half century. Bible-believing Christians are Bush?s strongest backers, and turning them out next year in even greater numbers is the top priority of the president?s political adviser Karl Rove. He is busy tending to the base with pro-life judicial appointments, a proposed ban on human cloning (approved by the House last week) and a $15 billion plan to fight AIDS in Africa, a favorite project of Christian missionaries who want the chance to save souls there as well as beleaguered lives. The base is returning the favor. They are, by far, the strongest supporters of a war?unilateral if need be?to remove Saddam.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/878520.asp?#BODY

Last edited:
I think the article below belongs to here. It seems that Bono has spoken on the issue.

The People
2nd March, 2003

Bono Blasts Christians' AIDS Stance

By Eamonn O'Hanlon

Bono has sparked fury across America's Bible Belt after he
accused church leaders of ignoring the plight of millions of African
AIDS victims.

He claimed Christians were being encouraged to turn a blind eye to
the crisis by preachers with little understanding of the disease.

The U2 star told U.S. magazine Christianity Today that while he
remained deeply committed to God, he was appalled by the
churches' response to AIDS.

"Somewhere in the back of the religious mind is this idea that
people with AIDS have reaped what they sowed."

"There is a kind of sense that these people, well, they got it
because they deserve it. The crisis has brought out the best in the
church -- but if we are honest it has also brought out the worst," he
claimed.

The Dubliner made his comments as part of his on-going crusade of behalf of the 28 million people who are HIV-positive across Africa.

He has already had talks on possible relief measures with a host of world leaders including U.S. President George Bush and Pope John Paul II.

Bono claims an extra $10 billion a year from the world's wealthiest nations would buy enough antiretroviral drugs to prevent 10 million new AIDS infections.

He said it was vital church groups put prejudices aside and woke up to the appalling scale of suffering.

He claimed traditional Christian teaching was bring turned on its head, with AIDS victims regarded with less compassion than fraudsters and conmen.

"There should be civil disobedience on this," he told the magazine.

"Million of children and millions of lives are being lost to greed, to bureaucracy, and to a church that has been asleep. It sends me out of my mind with anger.

"This is why I am doing this interview -- to implore the church to reconsider grace, to put an end to this hierarchy of sin.

"All have fallen short. Let's stop throwing stones at people who've made mistakes in their life, and let's start throwing drugs."

Christianity Today -- widely read in America's deep south -- attacked Bono's comments in a toughly-worded editorial which accused him of hypocrisy.

"Bono's full-throated judgments on the church prompt this question: Just how would he know?" the magazine said.

It claimed he had barely been inside a church since the 1980s and was himself ignoring years of relief work undertaken by U.S. missionaries in Africa.

"God may very well be using Bono to challenge the conscience of American evangelicals.

"It is well within God's frequently evident sense of humour to use a
brash rock star in the causes of justice and mercy," said tbe
magazine.

"If that is so, we hope that God also uses this time to draw Bono
into a deeper sense of what it means to be a Christian."

? News Group Newspapers Ltd., 2003.

pub crawler said:

This is an inaccurate statement. The Pope has sent envoys and made statements asking for the inspections to be allowed to work. And domestically (if you're an American like me), the National Coucil of Churches and the heads of different Protestant denominations have also issued statements asking Bush to reconsider. My favorite was the one that had a huge pix of Bush praying and it said, "Mr President, you let Jesus change your heart. Now let him change your mind."

Amen.

SD

Another thing wrong with the CT article is the assumption that Bono avoids the church like the plague. Not so. He attends worship services and Bible studies and such in Dublin, but is not super-public about it. I don't see why he has to mouth off every time he steps into a church. It's tough to be in one church if you travel as much as he does.

Back
Top Bottom