Restrictions on New AIDS Funding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
verte76 said:

Very well put, Sherry. As a practicing Catholic I can relate to this. Religion per se is not the problem here. It's as you say, bad judgment, ignorance of the severity of the crisis in Africa and probably politics. We can't afford to screw up like this.

Its not only that, verte76. It is greed too, pure greed. Why should the US or Europe be interested in seriously building up/ helping Africa and African people if they can still rob a whole continents treasures of the soil? To think this is only kind of "misguided" is a little underestimated, in my opinion. This tragedy happens intentionally.

Edit: I have to add: Sure, as we all know, sometimes a little help happens. But why does the general picture stay the same? This is because control, research and development, economical power f.e. by directing terms of trade, stays with the first world.

Those principles could have been changed a long time ago in favor of human rights principles all around the world, but they aren?t and weren?t. Why should they, with the profits that are made by unfair policies, breaking down every resistance with military power, when it gets a little dangerous for protagonists who are in power.

So, the robbing just continues.

Last edited:
diamond said:

Re Pres. Bush, Bono said the opposite of you HipHop.:|

Diamond

First of all, I don?t think so.

And if that was the case, diamond?

So what?

I can afford to have a different opinion from Bonos :|

Plus, I might add, the Bush administration disappoints me again. Not that I would?ve thought a miracle to be true...

gabrielvox said:
RE:Irish Voice..not exactly totally up to date, their last post was 2 days ago, and their Bono Nobel announcement was I think 2 days later than most other outlets. Also, they don't have half the Bono news that other outlets do. In fact very little about Bono.

I have it on good faith that he quite possibly was there, from someone who should know. I don't have pictures and I don't have quotes. Either you believe me or you don't, but those who know me know I don't intentionally lie about anything.

"dreamy mis-guided youth"...you crack me up Diamond..

BTW...isn't this thread about AIDS???

Or did you not have a comment on the Bush administration's despicable proposal Diamond?

Yes, this thread is about AIDs but I was responding to a question 2 people asked. This will be my last off-track post in this thread, I promise.

Regarding the Irish Voice...I'm reading the actual newspaper, not the online edition and its dated Wed. 2/19 through Tues. 2/25. The marches were just this past weekend...how much more up to date can they be for a weekly paper? And they do have quite a bit of Bono/U2 content...just read some of the letters they get from readers complaining about just how many U2 and especially Bono stories they actually do.

And I'm not saying you're a liar Gabriel...I would never say that about anyone here... but there are always 2 sides to every story...you gave yours and I was just giving mine.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Its not only that, verte76. It is greed too, pure greed. Why should the US or Europe be interested in seriously building up/ helping Africa and African people if they can still rob a whole continents treasures of the soil? To think this is only kind of "misguided" is a little underestimated, in my opinion. This tragedy happens intentionally.

Edit: I have to add: Sure, as we all know, sometimes a little help happens. But why does the general picture stay the same? This is because control, research and development, economical power f.e. by directing terms of trade, stays with the first world.

Those principles could have been changed a long time ago in favor of human rights principles all around the world, but they aren?t and weren?t. Why should they, with the profits that are made by unfair policies, breaking down every resistance with military power, when it gets a little dangerous for protagonists who are in power.

So, the robbing just continues.

You're right. Damn, this is frustrating. :madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored:

It is just another way for the Religious Right to try to impose their beliefs on others. It isn't about saving lives it's about control. The same as Bush's repealing Clinton removal of the gag order for Federal Funding for International Organizations that provide family management services. Nevermind theat they don't perform abortions, they cannot even mention them as an alternative. It is so counterproductive in third worls countries and especially India that has severe population explosions.

hiphop
and
g-man-
no time to deal w u 2 little dreamers right now.
im off to a concert, my date will here momentarily, i will respond to u guys later.
however i still consider u guys both sexy.

sexy but not totally righteous;)

goodbye for now-
thank u-
diamond
bruno.

Last edited:
Stop the off topic BS

And this would have what to do with either the title of this thread or the question I posed to you Diamond?

Stop deflecting, and come back to the fact that the man you love so much, George Bush, is showing his true colors as the nutcase he really is.

Now whats up? You still love him?

Will you still hold him in high regard when, as I and others feared, barely any real help in the form of lifesaving medication ever reaches dying children and people in Africa?

Will your support remain strong as the death toll mounts daily?

On this issue I think I can pretty safely go out on a limb and state that Bono's will not.

Rest assured that if Bush doesn't live up to his promise, he will be hearing from Bono in a big way. I don't see Bono backing out of this issue one little bit.

WHY HAS THIS PROGRAM NOT STARTED THE DAY AFTER BUSH ANNOUNCED IT????

I'm mad.

:angry:

Last edited:
Re: Stop the off topic BS

gabrielvox said:
And this would have what to do with either the title of this thread or the question I posed to you Diamond?

Stop deflecting, and come back to the fact that the man you love so much, George Bush, is showing his true colors as the nutcase he really is.

Now whats up? You still love him?

Will you still hold him in high regard when, as I and others feared, barely any real help in the form of lifesaving medication ever reaches dying children and people in Africa?

Will your support remain strong as the death toll mounts daily?

On this issue I think I can pretty safely go out on a limb and state that Bono's will not.

Rest assured that if Bush doesn't live up to his promise, he will be hearing from Bono in a big way. I don't see Bono backing out of this issue one little bit.

WHY HAS THIS PROGRAM NOT STARTED THE DAY AFTER BUSH ANNOUNCED IT????

I'm mad.

:angry:

Well said.

Yeah...I don't think Bono's gonna let Bush live this down...

Which is good-Bush needs some sense knocked into him.

Angela

i told u i cant answer u now.
not avoiding nothing.
the sexy has arrived.
i will get w u later, so b prepared..:ohmy:

dave

diamond said:
i told u i cant answer u now.
not avoiding nothing.
the sexy has arrived.
i will get w u later, so b prepared..:ohmy:

dave
As I promised-
Im here to deliver-
Apparently one of my very own actor-heroes, Richard Gere and a left leaning liberal at that recently claimed that GW Bush has done and intends to do more for AIDS than Clinton ever thought about.

GW has a track record of keeping his promises..
Bill Clinton did not.
I implore you all to give the man a chance:up:

Keep hope alive..:up:

rude but true.

Diamond.

Last edited:
Richard Gere?

Bill Clinton?

Did I miss something here?

to quote Pee Wee: "what's the significance...what does it mean...I dont knowww!!!

We are giving GW a chance, and he's BLOWING IT.

And every day thousands more either die or get infected.

How long?

Let's get back to the article. As a Republican, I was extremely proud of the fact that he stood before Congress and requested the money. As a Republican, if he is going to restrict the way the money is distributed, and there are very very few organizations that are designed this way, it is wong, so very wrong. That does not make him an EVIL person. It does make me think about how the RIGHT wing of the Republican Party has influenced this president to the point where a very POOR decision is being made.

There is something that makes me think the 15 Billion is going to wind up in the hands of Religious missionaries. Now that may be a good thing, however, it concerns me because there are already organizations in place that could do something good with the money to help.

Dreadsox said:
Let's get back to the article. As a Republican, I was extremely proud of the fact that he stood before Congress and requested the money. As a Republican, if he is going to restrict the way the money is distributed, and there are very very few organizations that are designed this way, it is wong, so very wrong. That does not make him an EVIL person. It does make me think about how the RIGHT wing of the Republican Party has influenced this president to the point where a very POOR decision is being made.

There is something that makes me think the 15 Billion is going to wind up in the hands of Religious missionaries. Now that may be a good thing, however, it concerns me because there are already organizations in place that could do something good with the money to help.

He is a very right-wing president who knew how to dupe people into thinking he was something else.

BTW, what is your opinion of Gov. Mitt Romney here in Mass.?

Melon

I hate to sound cynical, but generally speaking politicians, period, seem to break a hell of alot of promises. Rhetoric sounds great from the mouths of both Democrats and Republicans, but too often that's all we get from them. Generally I find more "decent" politicians in Congress than I do in the White House. Maybe these guys are just too darned ambitious for their own good.

About Romney, the verdict is still out. He has some tough stuff to do with what his predecessor left him unfortunately. Gotta say though that at least he's doing this governorship without costing the taxpayers any extra (to pay him that is), not that it'll hurt him any since he didn't need the money anyway. I have to wait and see. It's not going to be easy for those that need the services he's cutting. (I'm from MA by the way, and use some of those services)

About Bush, I don't trust him any farther than I can throw him.

U2luv said:
About Bush, I don't trust him any farther than I can throw him.

I don't trust him as far as I can throw Edinburgh Castle. And believe me, that's not far (we're talking five different buildings on top of the biggest rock I've ever seen in my life).

I found another article about Bush backing off his promises. I listened to his State of the Union Address and he stated he was for generic drug use to combat AIDS. But through the WTO he's preventing that use.

GLOBAL ECONOMY
Bush Stymies WTO Drug Talks

World Trade Organization efforts to provide impoverished countries with access to inexpensive drugs have been inhibited by the Bush administration's backing of the pharmaceutical industry, the London Guardian's Charlotte Denny reports. At this week's conference in Geneva, the US blocked the required unanimous approval for the organization's drug proposal when American representatives balked at allowing under-developed countries the right to import generic versions of patented medications.

Currently, manufacturers of generic drugs in developing countries can mass produce inexpensive versions of patented medicines -- in order to treat such illnesses as AIDS and tuberculosis -- after paying a fee to the drugs' initial producer. But countries without manufacturing ability are restricted by strict import laws. The US and its heavily-funded pharmaceutical lobby remain adamant that loosening these restrictions would "help generics manufacturers in India and Brazil to steal their markets," Denny writes.

Scarletwine said:
I found another article about Bush backing off his promises. I listened to his State of the Union Address and he stated he was for generic drug use to combat AIDS. But through the WTO he's preventing that use.

GLOBAL ECONOMY
Bush Stymies WTO Drug Talks

World Trade Organization efforts to provide impoverished countries with access to inexpensive drugs have been inhibited by the Bush administration's backing of the pharmaceutical industry, the London Guardian's Charlotte Denny reports. At this week's conference in Geneva, the US blocked the required unanimous approval for the organization's drug proposal when American representatives balked at allowing under-developed countries the right to import generic versions of patented medications.

Currently, manufacturers of generic drugs in developing countries can mass produce inexpensive versions of patented medicines -- in order to treat such illnesses as AIDS and tuberculosis -- after paying a fee to the drugs' initial producer. But countries without manufacturing ability are restricted by strict import laws. The US and its heavily-funded pharmaceutical lobby remain adamant that loosening these restrictions would "help generics manufacturers in India and Brazil to steal their markets," Denny writes.

This really pisses me off. :madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored:

Scarletwine said:

Blind ambition :down:

I did some research on our AIDS treatment program, something I am very proud of. Some facts I found:

It?s worldwide known that Brazil has the most successful anti-AIDS program among developing nations. Extensive prevention efforts combined with state-funded antiretroviral treatment have, in the face of widespread poverty, reduced AIDS-related mortality by more than 50 percent since 1996. This reduction has resulted in a U.S. $472 million savings in hospital and treatment costs for AIDS-related opportunistic infections and, according to Brazil?s Ministry of Health, an overall shift in negative attitudes towards people living with HIV/AIDS. The cornerstone of Brazil?s treatment program has been the local production of generic equivalents of brand name HIV/AIDS drugs, which has driven down the cost of antiretroviral treatment.

Brazil has instituted free AIDS treatment for everyone infected, at a cost of some $300 million to its annual health budget. The program more than paid for itself by reducing hospital stays, cutting transmission rates and enabling thousands to stay in the work force.

AIDS deaths have been reduced to 24.8 percent of the infected population in 1999 from 73.7 percent in 1990. The program has kept the infection rates from climbing, at 0.6 percent of its population of 170 million. Brazil had treated many people in slum areas and the homeless by creating, small and simple clinics.

Brazil intends to push for an international accord that would spell out guarantees of low drug prices for developing countries and the right to manufacture drugs in emergencies. It would also commit rich countries to providing technical support and contributing to an AIDS fund.

And all they can think of is that we want to steal their markets...Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Those were terrific articles! If I post a letter here to the drug companies, will you all join me in sending it? :D :angel: Anyone know which companies we're talking about, perchance?

Thanks for this informative thread!

SD

Sherry Darling said:
Those were terrific articles! If I post a letter here to the drug companies, will you all join me in sending it? :D :angel: Anyone know which companies we're talking about, perchance?

Thanks for this informative thread!

SD

Of course I'll join you Sherry!

I am looking forward to getting to the other side of these road blocks.

Back
Top Bottom