Resign Your Senate Seat Senator Kerry!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Senator Kerry should follow the example set by Senator Dole when he ran for President and resign his seat. The Lt. Governor of Massachusetts, thinks he should too! She is right when you make only 14 out of over 100 votes.

[Q]"It's not fair, it's not right and the public is not being well-served," said Healey, who said she was speaking on behalf of Republican Gov. Mitt Romney. "I'm calling on John Kerry to resign so that we can fill that office with someone who is 100% devoted to the job of representing the people of Massachusetts."

[/Q]

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-06-15-kerry-resign_x.htm

While I don't like the partisan politics that brought this issue to the forefront, I do agree that he should follow Dole's example and resign his seat. If he can't effectively serve his constituency then he should step down. Plus it shows that he's really serious about winning the presidency and wouldn't be able to fall back on his Senate seat if he doesn't win.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if Gore resigned from his Senate seat when he ran for VP in 92? I can't find anything definitive on the web.

Last edited:
ThatGuy said:
While I don't like the partisan politics that brought this issue to the forefront, I do agree that he should follow Dole's example and resign his seat. If he can't effectively serve his constituency then he should step down. Plus it shows that he's really serious about winning the presidency and wouldn't be able to fall back on his Senate seat if he doesn't win.

I agree 100%.

While it seems the best thing to do, I do think the Democrats take the politics in consideration. Should Kerry resign, then the Republican governor would probably appoint a Republican senator. The majority the Republicans have in the Senate at this moment is really small (51 Rep - 48 Dem) so I don't think the Democrats want to widen that gap.

From the same article:
Under Massachusetts law, if a vacancy occurs Romney would appoint an interim senator, who would serve until statewide elections, which occur this fall. There would then be a special election to fill the remainder of Kerry's term, which ends in 2008. And in 2008 there would be an election for a full six-year term.

In 1996, Republican Bob Dole gave up his seat as Kansas senator in early June before formally receiving the GOP nod to run against President Clinton. When Dole quit the Senate, the state's Republican governor, Bill Graves, appointed Republican Lt. Gov. Sheila Frahm to fill the remainder of the term until a special election, also won by the GOP

So while it may seem good image wise, it may not be the best politically.

C ya!

Marty

I agree. If you're not going to represent your state find someone who does. Every state deserves two senators. To answer TG's question, Al Gore didn't resign his Senate seat until after the '92 election.

I disagree 100%. McCain didn't resign his seat either up to the convention. Nor did Bush resign as Govenor.

I do think he should make a greater effort to get to the floor for more votes though. Lately not much has been happening. Several major votes have been delayed. Such as the defense budget. He has made appearances for significant votes. Especially those with close counts or important admendments.

It is just partisan bull***t, since they would appoint a Republican to the seat widening the margin

Yeah...like Republican Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey is in any place to make a non-partisan comment. :rolleyes:

And Scarletwine is correct. Just because Dole resigned, it does not mean that other politicians, Republican or Democrat, have followed suit. In fact, want to talk about historical precedent? Lloyd Bentsen, while running as VP with Michael Dukakis in 1988, was running for a different office in Texas simultaneously (I forget which one...senator?). He obviously didn't become VP, but did win his other election.

Romney et al. should shut their mouths before they make themselves look more like fools than they already are. I predict a swift end to his governorship during his next election.

Kerry had better stay put. Massachusetts currently has two Democratic heavyweights as senators (Sen. Ted Kennedy being the other). Kennedy certainly has enough clout to pick up Kerry's slack until after the November election.

If Kerry wins the presidency, though, I'm sure that Romney will pick the most offensive Republican he can find to take Kerry's place. After all, that's what a "good Republican" does!

Melon

Last edited:
I heard a while back that he missed a key vote on unemployment benefits. It just looks hypocritical to do that while you're out campaigning talking about what needs to be done for the unemployed.

His response was that the Republicans were just going to defeat it anyway. I think that's a pretty lame response..

what's ridiculous about this is that Kerry's been infamous for doing this for YEARS, but all of a sudden only now someone wants to call him on it.

whatever, Romney. Transparent attacks like this just make you look all the more like the sanctimonious boob you are.

I will vote for Romney again. I will vote for him when/if he runs for President.

He and Healy both gave up their salaries and are doing their jobs. Why shouldn't Kerry? He is not doing his job at all.

Partisanship? Maybe, but I ask this....was Benson missing votes? Was McCain?

14 out of over 100 votes?

Let's ralk about Bush running the country and campaigning - raising the most money and trips in history. Or his historical vacation days. What a load of crap.

I am a CSPAN junky and with respect Mrs. Springsteen, it was not possible for the left to win the vote. We have those psuedo Democrats (Miller) that side with the Rep. on all economic issues.

I watch the votes pretty close and am always contacting my Senators with my opinions on their votes.

I didn't vote for Kerry in the last election as I've thought he was doing a crap job for awhile now.

However the timing is laughable.

I don't buy the "oh so magnanimous" crap people try to stuff in Romney and Healey forgoing their salaries - they're already rich. big friggin deal.

Scarletwine said:

it was not possible for the left to win the vote. We have those psuedo Democrats (Miller) that side with the Rep. on all economic issues.

I'm sure you're correct about that Scarletwine, and you know more about it than I do :), but I still think he should have been there to vote..he still has the job of representing MA and MA citizens

And hey, maybe Romney has to give up some hair products as a result of giving up that salary :(

I think that it is normal practice for politicians to campaign for another office or for re-election while serving. Who is to say how many things are put aside on Bush's agenda because he is campaigning? This practice can only deter a candidate from doing their best at their current position. That is not a good thing, but I also don't think that they should resign while attempting to get another position. We don't quit our jobs while job searching, do we? Should the President stop being President while he campaigns to be President again?

I would be interested to hear details of a situation where Kerry didn't vote and it made all of the difference.

BostonAnne said:
I would be interested to hear details of a situation where Kerry didn't vote and it made all of the difference.

It would be interested to hear the details of what so important to Kerry (or any other Senator) that they missed voting.

He missed over 80% of his votes. If you missed 80% of your responisibilities at your job whiel trying to get another one....would you have a job?

Just curious.

And it is partisan a bit, and I have heard this argument used against republicans, and guess what, I agreed with the argument then too, so does that make me partisan?

I do think voting is important.

But somestimes you wouldn't believe the crap they vote on. Such as a resolution to honor joe blow from S Dakota that did so & so. These are counted as real votes though they are really meaningless except for the record.

edited cause 1 glass of wine plus hot bath kills typing skills.

Last edited:
In 1996, Republican Bob Dole gave up his seat as Kansas senator in early June before formally receiving the GOP nod to run against President Clinton.

When Dole quit the Senate, the state's Republican governor, Bill Graves, appointed Republican Lt. Gov. Sheila Frahm to fill the remainder of the term until a special election, also won by the GOP.

"It's not fair, it's not right and the public is not being well-served," said Healey, who said she was speaking on behalf of Republican Gov. Mitt Romney

Republican Healy would love Republican Romney to appoint him to the Senate.

In an interview with CNN, Dole said Tuesday that Kerry should follow his example and resign his seat.

In 1976 Dole was nominated and ran on the GOP ticket WHILE serving in the Senate.

Again this is partisan bullshit.

I challange anyone to post a missed roll call vote by Kerry where his vote would have affected the outcome.

Dreadsox said:
He missed over 80% of his votes. If you missed 80% of your responisibilities at your job whiel trying to get another one....would you have a job?

Just curious.

My job doesn't require me to be in Washington DC 24/7. I could shuffle my duties around. Perhaps a leave of absence should be allowed to campaigning senators (not loss of seat) or the ability to cast your vote from anywhere. I checked his schedule and most of the votes were missed during the primaries when he was traveling from state to state. He also had shoulder surgery.

Frome the Boston Herald..

Kerry vs. Kerry, how sitcom began
By Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Don't say we told you so, but Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey's call for White House-wannabe John Kerry to evacuate the Senate isn't the first time the two had a dust-up over a seat!

Now we know it's painful, but let's rewind back to the rained-out Game 4 of the Red Sox-Yankees American League Championship Series at Fenway Park. Before the game was called, Healey and the Man Who Would Be President were both enjoying VIP treatment, courtesy of the hometown team.

However, when Kerry took his primo position in the stands, he was rather annoyed to find his seat resembled a swimming pool. Imagine!

``He was complaining that the seat was very wet and Kerry (Healey) told him that someone would be by to wipe it up for him,'' said our box-seat spy.

Whereupon the Commander-in-Chief-wannabe, obviously confusing the gal from Beverly Farms with his Louisburg Square charlady, asked Mitt Romney's No. 2: ``Would you like to do that for me?''

Healey politely declined. But Republicans, you know, have memories like elephants . . .

Kerry's spokesguy Michael Meehan says he believes the senator was making a funny at Fenway and that the GOP should just lighten up.

And if course you'll not cast your vote when others do anything to prevent you from voting. From the Boston Globe:
http://www.boston.com/news/politics...are_kerry_appearance_causes_uproar_in_senate/

Rare Kerry appearance causes uproar in Senate
Arriving for vote, he dismisses GOP calls to resign

By Patrick Healy, Globe Staff | June 23, 2004

WASHINGTON -- Under fresh attack by Republicans to resign his Senate seat after missing months of votes, John F. Kerry returned to the Senate chambers yesterday to be in position to vote on a bill providing improved health care for veterans -- a move that triggered a partisan battle among his colleagues.

But it was the unusual spectacle of a fight over veterans' benefits that dominated Kerry's day and injected a burst of campaign politics into routine Senate business over a Pentagon budget bill. Kerry waited seven hours on the Hill yesterday in hopes of voting on a proposal to increase health care spending for veterans by 30 percent, but Republicans used procedural tactics to delay any vote until at least after Kerry had left for a campaign trip to San Francisco last night.

Gee, waiting for seven hours. Don't those other senators have anything useful to do in that time. I mean, it's almost a full working day!

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom