Republican Mayor Changes His Mind About Gay Marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I know this topic has been discussed ad infinitum here, but something about this video really touched me. It's just so human, for lack of a much better description. So refreshing to see from a politician.

http://cbs5.com/video/?id=26888@kpix.dayport.com

SD mayor to back same-sex marriage fight

By ALLISON HOFFMAN, Associated Press WriterThu Sep 20, 7:12 AM ET

Mayor Jerry Sanders abruptly reversed his public opposition to marriage for same-sex partners and revealed that his adult daughter is a lesbian.

Sanders on Wednesday signed a City Council resolution supporting a challenge to California's gay marriage ban. He previously promised to veto it.

The Republican mayor said he could no longer back the position he took during his election campaign two years ago, when he said he favored civil unions but not full marriage rights for homosexual couples.

He fought back tears as he said he wanted his adult daughter, Lisa, and other gay people he knows to have their relationships protected equally under state laws.

"In the end, I could not look any of them in the face and tell them that their relationships — their very lives — were any less meaningful than the marriage that I share with my wife Rana," Sanders said.

Lisa Sanders was unavailable for comment, according to the mayor's spokesman, Fred Sainz. He said she had told her parents four years ago that she is a lesbian and is currently in a committed relationship, but her orientation wasn't public until her father's speech.

The mayor, a former police chief who is up for re-election next year, acknowledged that many voters who supported his earlier stance might disagree with his shift, but said he had to do what he believed was right.

In 2000, 62 percent of San Diego voters endorsed a statewide measure to restrict marriage to a union between a man and woman.

The City Council voted Tuesday 5-3 in favor of joining other California cities to back a lawsuit pending before the California Supreme Court attempting to overturn the gay marriage ban.

this video almost made me cry.

i challenge anyone to watch it and not feel some emotion. it's so easy to be against some things in the abstract, it's quite another to be against individual people and being willing to tell them that they're not real human beings.

if only all politicians were as compassionate and understanding about how we need to progress as this guy is. i wouldn't say i was moved by that video but i was happy and relieved to see a right wing politician willing to accept the need to move forward and evolve ideas in a country that is so technolgically advanced and yet so backward in it's treatment of certain groups of people.

It seems inevitable to me that gay marriage one day will be legal throughout the United States. I'm not sure when, but polling over the years has shown more and more people, especially young people, support it.

martha said:
It's so typically Republican to only support a right for others if it affects someone you love.

We are family :up:

convcheney3H.jpg

Is that right?

07cheney_lg-758640.jpg

SeattleVertigo said:
It seems inevitable to me that gay marriage one day will be legal throughout the United States. I'm not sure when, but polling over the years has shown more and more people, especially young people, support it.

People will look back on these years in a similar way that we look back on racism or sexism, and just wonder what we were thinking doing all of this.

Don't worry, im sure that racism, sexism and homophobia will be around for many years to come - at least we get the jokes.

Because we all know its so typically democratic to support gay rights?:|

LOL

Speaking of typical...Never a kind word...always with a backhanded bitch slap. Where is the love? The tolorance? Certainly alive and well in FYM!

THe troops on the ground are about to dig in!

Dreadsox said:
Because we all know its so typically democratic to support gay rights?:|
Maybe, maybe not, but it's usually a Republican that's fully ready and willing to deny someone a right due to some stupid exclusionary belief and then suddenly see the light when he realized his own loved one will get the shaft due to Republican policies.

Dreadsox said:

Speaking of typical...Never a kind word...always with a backhanded bitch slap. Where is the love? The tolorance?

Where's the tolerance in the Big Tent? I don't have a lot of patience for those who are more than willing to fuck over everyone's else children but their own. I'll give the guy some credit and welcome him into our century of modern thought, but where was he a few years ago? Did his daughter suddenly turn gay and that made him all soft and squishy?

I give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he didn't change his mind solely because of his daughter. People can change their views for many reasons, and if we disregard and discount that I just don't see how any progress can be made.

Back
Top Bottom