Republican candidate would rather be Klansman than Democrat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
Coors Under Fire for Kerry-KKK Quip

Sunday, April 25, 2004

DENVER ? Democrats are furious about a statement by Republicans saying that comparing one of their candidates to presidential candidate John Kerry (search) would be worse than comparing someone to the Ku Klux Klan (search).

The dispute started when The New York Times inadvertently published a photo of Republican Senate candidate Pete Coors (search) above a story about a KKK member who murdered a black sharecropper. The Times published a correction Saturday.

Cinamon Watson, spokeswoman for Coors, said the error was "so outrageous it's kind of funny. It could have been worse. Pete could have been identified as John Kerry."

Chris Gates, chairman of the Colorado Democratic Party, demanded an apology. He said Democrats are "out there campaigning positively on the issues, and the Republicans can't help but resort to the lowest level of insult and name-calling."

Kerry spokesman Phil Singer said the comment was "the kind of thing people hate about politics."

Coors, head of the Coors brewing empire, is seeking the Republican nomination to fill the seat being vacated by Republican Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell, who is retiring.

comparing one of their candidates to presidential candidate John Kerry

would be worse

than a KKK member who murdered a black sharecropper

This is funny? I don't get it.

The GOP has some really backward members.

They should be ashamed.

sometimes i think your sole intention of posting in fym is to piss people off. your thread has no point, which is starting to become routine. to assume that the gop has the corner on the backward member market is simply ignorant.

it was obviously a stupid comment. i think we all know that. move on already.

How is pointing out someone's misguided remarks so wrong, it's done in here all the time, on all sides. Now trying to make it sound like the GOP are the only ones with backward members may have been a stretch, but I don't see anything wrong with pointing this comment out.

if we're going to start a thread everytime a politician, or his/her mouthpiece, says something moronic, elvis is going to have to create a new forum. i agree it's just as annoying when someone does it in regards to the democrats.

i'm also pointing out that i'm seeing a trend in deep's posts. this place is way too predicatable some days...

Oh please. There are threads everyday in FYM which strike me as utterly pointless. I mean only yesterday we had Dread complaining that John Kerry's wife once donated money which eventually made it into the pockets of a website which was later used by someone to post one distasteful comment. (Anyone else feel like we're playing the 'six degrees of separation' game?) A couple of days before we had Headache warning people protesting in NYC (how many FYMers were heading out to NYC to protest?) to do whatever the police tell them. Look back a couple of pages and you'll find threads about a "joke weather protest," the alarming discovery that the KKK are computer-literate and an April Fools joke.

I have no objection to any of those threads being here, in fact I've probably found some of them vaguely interesting and posted in a few of them myself. However if you're going to complain about this "pointless" thread then there are several others you should probably dig up in order to bemoan their "pointless" existence also.

why does it always come down to your apparent distaste for dreadsox, fizz? and where did i say that this is the only pointless thread in fym? you have no problem pointing out threads you think are a waste, so why shouldn't i?

senator robert byrd, conscience of the democratic party:

Senator Byrd quit the Klan in the 1940s and has renounced it since. On the other hand, his history is worth revisiting, since it's something Democrats have been willing to tolerate, despite Lott-like remarks that would have ended a Republican's career. Only last year Mr. Byrd told Fox News that "there are white niggers. I've seen a lot of white niggers in my time, if you want to use that word. But we all--we all--we just need to work together to make our country a better country and I--I'd just as soon quit talking about it so much."

Mr. Byrd quickly apologized, but he wasn't denounced by Democrats, much less by the Clintons. Nor did the press corps use the opportunity to wallow in other Byrd racial lowlights, such as the 14 hours and 13 minutes he spent in an unsuccessful filibuster during the debate over the 1964 civil rights act, which he voted against along with 20 other Senate Democrats. The political press also didn't dredge up his votes against both Thurgood Marshall and Clarence Thomas, votes that made him the only Senator to have opposed the only two black Supreme Court nominees in U.S. history.

At the time of his "white ******" remarks last year, no national papers bothered to mention two letters that the Senator had distanced himself from, Clinton-style, by saying he didn't recall writing them, though he also didn't dispute them. The New York Times reported in 1971 on a letter Mr. Byrd wrote in 1946, after leaving the Klan. Writing to the Klan's Imperial Wizard, Mr. Byrd identified himself as a former Kleagle and recommended a person to serve as state Klan coordinator. He wrote, "The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia. . . . It is necessary that the order be promoted immediately and in every state in the Union. Will you please inform me as to the possibilities of rebuilding the Klan realm of W.Va?"

And in a 1947 letter, after Mr. Byrd had been elected to the state senate, he wrote that he would "never submit to fight beneath that banner (the American flag) with a Negro by my side. Rather I should die a thousand times, and see old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds."

Since those unfortunate days, Senator Byrd has often referred to his Klan membership as a mistake of his youth, less often as a moral outrage. As recently as 1997, he told an interviewer he'd encourage young people to become involved in politics, but with this warning: "Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the
political arena."

Cinamon Watson, spokeswoman for Coors, said the error was "so outrageous it's kind of funny. It could have been worse. Pete could have been identified as John Kerry."

She is THE SPOKESPERSON for the candidate.

The GOP has some really backward members.

I did write "some".

I am and have been a register Republican for over 30 years.

There are many GOP members like myself that are not happy with some actions of some officials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom