Report of the joint inquiry into the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus

Refugee
on a one of these small green spots at that blue p
more background informations at:
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/national/nationalspecial2/index.html

ASHINGTON, July 25 ? Senior officials of Saudi Arabia have funneled hundreds of millions of dollars to charitable groups and other organizations that may have helped finance the September 2001 attacks, a still-classified section of a Congressional report on the hijackings says, according to people who have read it.

The 28-page section of the report was deleted from the nearly 900-page declassified version released on Thursday by a joint committee of the House and Senate intelligence committees. The chapter focuses on the role foreign governments played in the hijackings, but centers almost entirely on Saudi Arabia, the people who saw the section said.

The Bush administration's refusal to allow the committee to disclose the contents of the chapter has stirred resentment in Congress, where some lawmakers have said the administration's desire to protect the ruling Saudi family had prevented the American public from learning crucial facts about the attacks. The report has been denounced by the Saudi ambassador to the United States, and some American officials questioned whether the committee had made a conclusive case linking Saudi funding to the hijackings.

The public report concluded that the F.B.I. and C.I.A. had known for years that Al Qaeda sought to strike inside the United States, but focused their attention on the possibility of attacks overseas....

and

The report today on intelligence failures may force the Bush administration to confront a vexing question that the White House thought it put to rest months ago: how best to prevent another terrorist attack.

The findings, providing an even more damning indictment of the intelligence community than many had predicted, are already prompting fresh debate over whether the federal government should create a national intelligence czar or even strip the F.B.I. of its domestic intelligence duties in favor of a wholly new agency...

Here you can read the public version:
http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/911rpt/911report72403.pdf

Klaus

I really hoped that there was more response to the background of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

"die Zeit" called the published document for example as a "example of governments censorship" and compared it to Heinrich Henis "Buch Le Grand"
For those who don't know that book. I paste the full page

The german censors

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- dumbheads ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

(the rest with the page was filled with "-"s

They say they understand fully that you have to censor some parts to protect some secret service employees but, especially if you think about the WMDs documents from the past, lots of people will continue to distrust the government,

Klaus

I usually support the Bush administration but this one goes too far. If three of the four people who wrote the report say that it won't damage national security, then why won't they release the 'classified' pages? Because it paints the Saudis in a negative light? I think it's time the American people know what kind of people their government are in bed with. Put the info out there and let the Saudis spin it like they always do.

What happened to a government for the people by the people?

No, what the Bush Admin will do is spin it or ignore it or distract from it or talk alot about it without actually saying anything about it for a week or so and then the collective A.D.D of the US public (in regards to news stories) will kick in and it will be replaced by the next story, and then it will be forgotten. It appears from outside the US that thats how it works.

(Then in a year a Michael Moore movie will come out with all these 'outrageous' claims about how Bush is in bed with the Saudis and everyone can cry "Bullsh*t! Not George! Crazy loony Michael Moore!" Or something like that.)

this thread should really be in FYM

from the nation by david corn

The 9/11 Investigation
[from the August 4, 2003 issue]
The White House also refused to release to the committees the contents of an August 6, 2001, President's Daily Brief (PDB) that contained information on bin Laden. In May 2002 National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice claimed this PDB only included information about bin Laden's methods of operation from a historical perspective and contained no specific warnings. But the joint inquiry appears to have managed to find a source in the intelligence community who informed it that "a closely held intelligence report" for "senior government officials" in August 2001 (read: the PDB prepared for Bush) said that bin Laden was seeking to conduct attacks within the United States, that Al Qaeda maintained a support structure here and that information obtained in May 2001 indicated that a group of bin Laden supporters were planning attacks in the United States with explosives. This is quite different from Rice's characterization of the PDB. Did she mislead the public about it? And presuming that this "closely held intelligence report" was indeed the PDB, the obvious question is, how did Bush react? But through its use--or abuse--of the classification process, the Administration has prevented such questions from inconveniencing the White House.

The committees tried to gain access to National Security Council documents that, the report says, "would have been helpful in determining why certain options and program were or were not pursued." But, it notes, "access to most information that involved NSC-level discussions were blocked...by the White House." Bush has said, "We must uncover every detail and learn every lesson of September the 11th." Just not those details about him and his National Security Council.

One big chunk of the report that the Administration refused to declassify concerns foreign support for the 9/11 hijackers. Of these twenty-seven pages, all but one and a half have been redacted. The prevailing assumption among the journalists covering the committees--and it is well-founded--is that most of the missing material concerns Saudi Arabia and the possibility that the hijackers received financial support from there. Is the Bush Administration treading too softly on a sensitive--and explosive--subject? "Neither CIA nor FBI officials," the report says, "were able to address definitively the extent of [foreign] support for the hijackers globally or within the United States or the extent to which such support, if it exists, is knowing or inadvertent in nature. Only recently, and at least in part due to the joint inquiry's focus on this issue, did the FBI and CIA strengthen their efforts to address these issues.... [T]his gap in US intelligence coverage is unacceptable." At one point in the final report, the committees reveal that a July 2002 CIA cable included a CIA officer's concerns that persons associated with a foreign government may have provided financial assistance to the hijackers. "Those indications addressed in greater detail elsewhere in this report obviously raise issues with serious national implications," the report notes. But these "indications" are not addressed elsewhere in the report. The Administration would not declassify the material.

The report does include a list of quotes from unnamed US officials each of whom says that Saudi Arabia has been reluctant to cooperate with the United States on matters related to bin Laden. "In May 2001," according to the report, "the US government became aware that an individual in Saudi Arabia was in contact with a senior al Qaeda operative and was most likely aware of an upcoming operation." The following sentences--which likely cover how the United States responded to this intelligence and what the Saudis did or did not do--is deleted from the report, thanks to the Bush Administration.
The report is a good start in establishing the historical record. It reads at times like tragedy, at other times almost as farce. The signs were there. Few paid attention. Two, if not more, of the hijackers were within reach of US law enforcement, but nobody saw that. Five days after the attacks, Bush said, "No one could have conceivably imagined suicide bombers burrowing into our society." And in May 2002, Rice said, "I don't think anyone could have predicted these people would take an airplane and slam it into the World Trade Center." Actually, the report has proof that the attacks of 9/11 were foreseen. Not in terms of date and time. But intelligence reporting indicated and terrorism experts warned that Al Qaeda was interested in mounting precisely these types of attacks. Yet the US government--the Bush II and Clinton administrations--did not prepare adequately. The attacks were far less outside the box than Bush and his aides have suggested. Thwarting them was within the realm of possibility.

I'm very suspicious as to why the Saudis would fly someone out to the White House the next day after this story broke to meet with the prez. I think there may be something more here than meets the eye and it might have actually been a good thing that prez. Bush is keeping the pages secret.

wolfwill23 said:
I'm very suspicious as to why the Saudis would fly someone out to the White House the next day after this story broke to meet with the prez. I think there may be something more here than meets the eye and it might have actually been a good thing that prez. Bush is keeping the pages secret.
Because the Saudi foriegn minster wanted to know what was on that pages and guess what, even he did not get this information.

The Saudi`s want to know what was on that pages so they know what to expect and they can deffend themselfs.

Rono said:

The Saudi`s want to know what was on that pages so they know what to expect and they can deffend themselfs.

That's what I'm saying. I think there's some real sticky evidence of Saudi involvement in 9/11 on those pages and of course, the Saudis don't want that info to be made public (even though they say they do.)

wolfwill23 said:

That's what I'm saying. I think there's some real sticky evidence of Saudi involvement in 9/11 on those pages and of course, the Saudis don't want that info to be made public (even though they say they do.)
I think they want that info to be made public,...

BTW, it does not have to be the Saudi goverment that supposed to be involved. It could be individuals.

Rono said:
BTW, it does not have to be the Saudi goverment that supposed to be involved. It could be individuals.

Sure. It could also be individuals inside the Saudi government, which seems quite likely.

I've heard it has something to do with the Saudi equivalent of the CIA knowing quite a bit more about some of the 9/11 hijackers and their plans before the event then they've admitted, and they didn't tell the US about it. Something about how a Saudi 'CIA' guy was personal friends with one of them or something.

Thats just 'what I've heard'. It's not like GW returns my calls anymore.:shrug:

Klaus said:
Could it be that the administration willingly classified parts of the document to make someone look guilty?

we know how they handeled secret informations before the iraq war.

Ooooo, I smell conspiracy...

And what about the good contact between the CIA and the FBI ?

Maybe the missing info is about that.

I am starting to think Bin Laden really may not have been involved with 9-11.

Don?t misunderstand me, I believe Bin laden and al Qaeda have planned some attacks on US and other western and Saudi targets.

It seems more and more 9-11 was a Saudi operation. I don?t mean the Saudi Government, the House of Saud,. But people in Saudi and maybe even some serving in their Government that would like to see it toppled.
There are many Saudi dissident groups who would like to overthrow the House of Saud, some 30,000 people who control and benefit from the Kingdom of Saud because of their relationship with the US.

Bin laden was a threat and deserved to be taken out. Yes he was happy that 9-11 happened and praised the hi-jackers. With Saddam taken out we can pull back from and even mostly out of Saudi, we have a new base in Qatar. I think Bin Laden and Saddam were targets of opportunity in relationship to 9-11.

BinLaden was busy fighting the Mhamood and the Northern Alliance.
BinLaden fits in the War on Terror for other activities. Saddam only does loosely if you include rhetoric against Israel and money paid to families of bombers. I do not believe Saddam was a threat to the US.

The 9-11 planning and financing most likely came out of Saudi. That may explain why the Administration has had this obsession with secrecy.

Last edited:
wolfwill23/deep:
No matter how it was, i think the public deserves to know the truth. Several thousand people died because of the terrorist attacks, several thousand people died because of the war against terrorism. I think everyone should have the right to know what really hapened, not just a few people from Pentagon, the CIA and the white house.

Klaus

Klaus said:
wolfwill23/deep:
No matter how it was, i think the public deserves to know the truth. Several thousand people died because of the terrorist attacks, several thousand people died because of the war against terrorism. I think everyone should have the right to know what really hapened, not just a few people from Pentagon, the CIA and the white house.

Klaus
I think we can all agree with this.

Klaus and Rono

Because you are subjects in the American Empire,

does not mean you have the right to ask questions.

Last edited:
http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/08/03/saudi.alqaeda/index.html

Saudi denies involvement in 9/11 attacks
Al-Bayoumi says he would meet with U.S. investigators

Sunday, August 3, 2003 Posted: 2149 GMT ( 5:49 AM HKT)

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CNN) -- A Saudi Arabian man denied involvement in the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, on Sunday, despite allegations that he has ties to two of the hijackers.

Omar al-Bayoumi, in a satellite interview with Dubai-based Arabic-language network Al Arabiya, said he will continue to work with United States investigators under certain conditions.

"I sent a letter to Prince Nayef, the [Saudi] interior minister, saying I was innocent of these charges. I am ready to answer any question in this regard with the presence of CIA or FBI investigators and Saudi investigators on Saudi land," al-Bayoumi told Al Arabiya.

"I have nothing to hide," he added.

Al-Bayoumi, an employee of the Saudi Civil Aviation Authority, has been questioned by U.S., British, and Saudi officials and has not been charged with a crime.

Interrogators "took my personal computer, my home computer and many books. They also took my little daughter's school bag," said al-Bayoumi, who is married and has four children. "They questioned many people. This lasted for over seven months, and they said I am innocent. They even returned my passport."

He was interviewed from Jidda, where he lives.

U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft indicated Sunday that U.S. officials might interview al-Bayoumi again.

"Well, we're going to interview everyone we can that we think can shed new light on the investigation whenever we can," he said on ABC's "This Week."

Asked whether that meant the United States would interview al-Bayoumi again, he replied, "More or less."

Al-Bayoumi is named in the congressional report on U.S. intelligence leading up to the attacks on the Pentagon and World Trade Center. A redacted version of the report was released last week amid a dispute over the information that hasn't been disclosed.

Congressional officials highlight the case of al-Bayoumi as a possible example of Saudi help to the hijackers.

Investigators believe al-Bayoumi helped two of the hijackers -- Nawaf Alhamzi and Khalid Almihdhar -- settle in San Diego, California, in January 2000 and provided them with financial assistance. Officials disagree on the extent of that aid.

Al-Bayoumi spent several years in the United States as a student.

He told Al Arabiya that he met the two men and spent time with them for a couple of weeks, but he denied helping them settle in California or giving them money.

The congressional report also said al-Bayoumi received money from Princess Haifa al-Faisal, wife of the Saudi ambassador to the United States -- which al-Bayoumi also denied.

Al-Bayoumi said such a contribution would be documented, and there is no record of it. He said he received a contribution from one Saudi who wanted to help fund the construction of a mosque, and that contribution is documented.

Families representing victims of the attacks have questioned whether he was working as a Saudi agent when he is alleged to have helped the two men who later became hijackers.

A U.S. government source who has read the recent report -- including the redacted sections that contain information involving Saudi Arabia -- said al-Bayoumi is probably an unofficial Saudi intelligence agent.

Al-Bayoumi and the Saudi ambassador to the United States deny he is an agent.

The claims against him, al-Bayoumi said, come from "people who have interests who want to harm the Saudi interests."

CNN producer Caroline Faraj contributed to this report

Back
Top Bottom