Remanisant of Black Hawk Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/03/21/Somalia.reut/index.html

As you all know the situation in Somolia with the government trying to get back controll from the muslim extremists. 5 soldiers either of the Somali government or Ethiopia were dragged through the streets and desicrated by being burned.

Bodies dragged, burned as Mogadishu battles rage
POSTED: 10:38 a.m. EDT, March 21, 2007
Story Highlights• 13 die in heavy clashes between guerrillas and government, Ethiopian troops
• Fighting about the worst since government took over Mogadishu in December
• Scene recalls 1993 shooting-down of a U.S. Black Hawk copter by warlords
• Many believe the defeated Islamists, clan, warlord militias behind attacks
Adjust font size:
MOGADISHU, Somalia (Reuters) -- Somali insurgents dragged soldiers' bodies through the streets of Mogadishu before burning them on Wednesday in heavy fighting that killed at least 13 people and injured scores more, witnesses said.

The corpses of five soldiers -- either from the Somali government army or their Ethiopian allies -- were desecrated during some of the worst clashes in the lawless capital since the interim government took over in December, witnesses said.

In one place, men dragged two semi-naked corpses by the feet while members of a crowd chanting "God is Great" kicked and pelted them with stones, a Reuters reporter said.

Gruesome fighting recalls Black Hawk downing
In another, three bodies were hauled round by rope, kicked and then also set alight, witnesses said.

The grisly scenes recalled the aftermath of the 1993 shooting-down of a Black Hawk helicopter by Somali militiamen during a failed U.S. operation to hunt down warlords.

Images of dead American troops being dragged through the streets of Mogadishu were the beginning of the end for a U.S.-U.N. peacekeeping force which quit Somalia in 1995.

As well as the five soldiers, witnesses and medical sources said at least eight civilians died in Wednesday's clashes.

The fighting, which wounded at least 65 people according to hospital staff, began early in the day when insurgents fired at Ethiopian and government forces in tanks and was still raging in the afternoon, residents said.

'I saw an old man die in front of me'
"I have never seen or experienced the kind of fighting that I saw today. People were running in all directions. I saw an old man die in front of me," said Faduma Elmi, 80.

After being attacked, the tanks responded with four cannon shots, they said. The Ethiopians also fired rockets at Mogadishu stadium where residents said some insurgents had dug in.

The interim government took over Mogadishu in late December during a brief war in which it and Ethiopia routed a militant Islamist group that ruled most of south Somalia since mid-2006.

Many believe the defeated Islamists, along with disgruntled clan and warlord militiamen, are behind regular hit-and-run attacks. In most cases, the attacks prompt retaliatory fire and civilians are often the victims of the crossfire.

African Union forces seen as invaders
The fighting initially broke out near a government base in the former defense ministry. Insurgents have repeatedly struck at government and Ethiopian soldiers based there.

This government is the 14th attempt at establishing central rule since warlords ended it by toppling dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991, ushering in an era of anarchy and violence.

African Union peacekeepers from Uganda are trying to help the government gain control of the anarchic Horn of Africa nation. Like the Ethiopians, they are viewed as foreign invaders by many Somalis and are therefore also targeted.

Paddy Ankunda, AU mission spokesman, said the Ugandan soldiers were not involved in Wednesday's fighting. "It has not affected the three areas we are in," he said, referring to Mogadishu's airport, seaport and presidential palace.

Ethiopia denied its soldiers were among the five dragged through the streets. "That is categorically false," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Ambassador Solomon Abede.

Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Back
Top Bottom