Remains found in D.C. park are those of Chandra Levy's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesseu2

Refugee
so sad...

Remains in D.C. Park Are Chandra Levy's

.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (May 22) - Bones found in a Washington park Wednesday are the remains of Chandra Levy, a law enforcement source said.

The finding ends the search for the federal intern whose disappearance more than a year ago riveted the nation and contributed to the political demise of her hometown congressman, Rep. Gary Condit, D-Calif.

Levy, 24, of Modesto, Calif., disappeared sometime after logging off her computer at about 1 p.m. on May 1, 2001. When police searched her apartment they found her wallet, credit card, computer and cell phone. Only her keys were missing.

Police conducted intensive searches in the weeks following her disappearance but turned up no solid clues. They looked at a variety of theories - murder, suicide or that Levy went into hiding.

They also questioned Condit several times. The 54-year-old, married lawmaker denied having anything to do with the disappearance but did eventually acknowledge an affair with her, a police source said.

Police repeatedly said Condit was not a suspect.

The break in the case came Wednesday when a man walking his dog came across skeletal remains in Rock Creek Park. Police had found evidence last year on Levy's laptop computer that she had searched a Web site for the park's Klingle Mansion on the day she vanished.

The bones were found about a mile north of the mansion and about four miles away from Levy's apartment. Friends had said Levy frequented the 1,754-acre park, located in northwest Washington.

Levy came to Washington for an internship with the Bureau of Prisons and lived in an apartment. In late April 2001, her internship was abruptly cut short when supervisors learned she was ineligible to continue because she had finished her college coursework the previous December.

A sociable, earnest student who enjoyed travel abroad with her family and staying fit, Levy was last seen April 30 when she canceled her membership at a health club near her apartment.

She had been preparing to return to California for graduation from the University of Southern California and sent her parents, Dr. Robert and Susan Levy, an e-mail on May 1 noting airfares for the trip home.

The Levys called police five days later when they could not reach her, and her father also telephoned Condit asking for his help.

AP-NY-05-22-02 1744EDT

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Whether or not Condit actually had anything to do with her disappearance, I still think he's kind of slimey. When I was first hearing about this case, I remember hoping that she had extorted a few million from him and was living it up in a remote corner of the Caymans, watching his political career go down in flames.

This is very sad. My prayers are with her family.

------------------
Well, the God I believe in isn't short on cash, mister. --Bono

But a day will come
In this dawning age
When an honest man
Sees an honest wage.
--The Edge

Back
Top Bottom