Religious sounding songs, for non religious people...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I don't consider myself a Christian or wonder if there is a true maker, but there are some songs that really I like, and they have a religious meaning to...

Songs like;

Creed - Faceless Man
U2 - 40
U2 - Wake Up Deadman

Songs like those, I'm not religious -- but I don't have a problem singing these songs outloud... why is this?

Because even the nonreligious need to cry out to something sometimes.

Maybe lyrics dont always have to even make sense. I sometimes wonder, if someone sang about mud caked boots, but the music and construction of the song was class, I'd still like it. Maybe it's because I think a lot of poetry is pretentious and a giant wank, that lyrics dont often have to mean much. I appreciate when they do, but not relentless applauding when it's just more of the same pretentious wankerising but this time put to music.
:hmm:

theu2fly — I think these songs move you because they have truth in them.

Nb's right on this. I believe we were all created to have a relationship with God and for those who don't, there's something missing in their lives. I think the songs you mentioned above kind of point us to that relationship. (Actually, I can't speak for the Creed song, because I've never really paid attention to it.)

coemgen said:

Nb's right on this. I believe we were all created to have a relationship with God and for those who don't, there's something missing in their lives. I think the songs you mentioned above kind of point us to that relationship. (Actually, I can't speak for the Creed song, because I've never really paid attention to it.)

Perhaps it wasn't meant to be, but your post is condescending as all hell.

coemgen said:

yes, i'm missing so much.

see you sunday.

theu2fly said:
I don't consider myself a Christian or wonder if there is a true maker, but there are some songs that really I like, and they have a religious meaning to...

Songs like;

Creed - Faceless Man
U2 - 40
U2 - Wake Up Deadman

Songs like those, I'm not religious -- but I don't have a problem singing these songs outloud... why is this?

Don't have a good answer except that I love a lot of secular songs and will sing them outloud so I guess it works both ways. :shrug:

I guess if you're not religious or Christian or whatever, you could look at "Christianity" as just another catagory, like songs about sex, songs about drugs, songs about relationships, songs about Christianity, songs about events or places.....it just fits right in there and there's nothing special about it. I wouldn't say you're weird b/c you like a song with a Christian theme but are not a Chrisitan. I like Bad and I've never known any heroine addicts.

He's not the one that came up with that anyway. Some theologian did, I'm sure if it, b/c I've learned about it before hearing (for the first time today) that Bono said it.

MadelynIris said:

This is rather presumptuous and condenscending by Bono also.

well, it's really a Salman Rushdie phrase that Bono lifted.

and Rushdie, brilliant as he is, is rather pretentious.

but so is Bono.

but i love both men.

and some people don't need or want God in their lives. i think the reaction to Coemgen's post was his assumption that people who don't have God are missing out on something. while that's certainly a valid opinion, its also an opinion that's going to draw some skepticism by people who are very happy without God.

MadelynIris, I'm glad you were just being a stinker. Sorry I didn't pick up on the sarcasm. :wink:

Irvine, you make a valid point. I understand that people who are happy without God are going to wince when they read my post. That's alright. I'm just sharing what I know to be true.
I just didn't understand why it was considered condescending when I was just stating an opinion.

Irvine511 said:

well, it's really a Salman Rushdie phrase that Bono lifted.

Actually, where I first heard the idea was in the song "Hole Hearted" by Extreme, way back in the late 80s.

coemgen said:
MadelynIris, I'm glad you were just being a stinker. Sorry I didn't pick up on the sarcasm. :wink:

Irvine, you make a valid point. I understand that people who are happy without God are going to wince when they read my post. That's alright. I'm just sharing what I know to be true.
I just didn't understand why it was considered condescending when I was just stating an opinion.

And you'd likewise wince if I said you are being led on a goosechase by following this bible caper.
Or maybe you wouldn't, lol, I dont know. I had the same reaction as madelyniris, but I wasn't joking. Righteousness is pride is sin.

We've all had this discussion before on here, I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm just tired of it popping up every so often. I'll stop sidetracking.

Angela Harlem, maybe I'm misunderstanding your post (and I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything either), but it's not a sin to suggest that if someone doesn't have God in their life, that their missing something. If it is, then it's a sin to paraphrase the Bible. :wink: It's not a self-righteous or prideful statement either. I never intended my comments to come across that way at all, if they do come across that way to people, I'm sincerely sorry.

That's why Bono sang "Looking for to fill that God-shaped hole," in Mofo – he wants to point people to that relationship with God. (This is no secret if you've read anything about the band's spirituality, which is well documented.) As Christians, we believe that we were all created to love, worship and have a relationship with God. It's easy for us to try to fill that hole with other things, and I'm sure people are happy in many cases, but, in my humble opinion, they could be happier. I'm speaking from personal experience here. The times I've turned away from God have been low points, but, when I have that relationship things are good in my heart, even if my circumstances aren't.

Ouch, sorry coemgen, you dont need to apologise. I somehow flicked past the post that everyone got upset at. I was originally referring to nbc's, that it was a god-shaped hole, as simple as that, when many disagree it is as simple as that. But it's kind of an impasse. You guys feel this incredible thing that you hope everyone can share, no harm right? I personally know that I am perfectly happy without it. No harm, right? I think the problem lies with Christians getting to the point where they are so comfortable with their personal faith, that without realising, they give an air of themselves as the superior ones, rather than the relationship with God as the superior one. Does this make sense? I think I see it as this, because everytime someone is questioned about it, they always clarify that they do not intend for themselves to be seen as the better people, but their relationships with God or whoever, to be the best thing in their lives, the better 'thing'. It might be a plain old case of misunderstanding or miscommunication. And the sensitive ones will firstly be those who think they are being patronised for not having something. Like meeting someone who drives a Saab. That person says "Look what I drive, it's cool, huh!" and you kind of think, 'so because I don't drive one, I'm not cool?' That might be a poor analogy lol. I hope this didn't sound like I was trying to pick a fight. I even missed your post initially. I was up til 2am writing a painfully annoying assignment and my brain is still a tad fried. I do hope this hasn't come across as offensive, because it wasn't intended to.
:)

*edited for typos :rolleyes: lol

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that when Bono sings about God-shaped hole in MOFO he's talking about *his personal* God-shaped hole and doesn't presume it in other people.

I think the reason I respond to religious-themed songs has more to do with the passion of the music and the singers' performance rather than the lyrics themselves.

Saracene said:
I'm pretty sure that when Bono sings about God-shaped hole in MOFO he's talking about *his personal* God-shaped hole and doesn't presume it in other people.

I think the reason I respond to religious-themed songs has more to do with the passion of the music and the singers' performance rather than the lyrics themselves.

I think that is about right. Not being a practicing anything, I love the soaring music of many of the Easter songs. Saracene talks about the passion of the music and that is what we respond to, hunger for that kind of passion about anything--whether it be God, love, friendship, humanity. It all strikes a chord that may or not be about God, but it is certainly about something higher than what we experience in our day to day living (of if we are one of the few people who do get to experience life to that height, then it is a confirmation of that experience.) I get as strong a reaction to "Layla" (original version, please) as I do to "All Because of You".

Honestly, I can't believe anyone actually got upset that someone said that all people have a "God-shaped hole".

Saracene said:

Exactly what I was going to say. How is it pretentious when he's talking about his "God-shaped hole" ? ...as in no one else's?

:huh: Sometimes PC-ness gets annoying.

Hell, I'm starting to love Yahweh... it's a beautiful song...

I'm not religious, but listening to religious inspired songs are great to hear. I don't know what it is about Yahweh that makes me like it so much....

nbcrusader said:

Same reaction when you suggest that we are all sinners....

Why all the innuendo in your one sentence replies? You frequently appear to be leaving things 'unsaid' with the use of ... . Just wondering. Perhaps it is just a typing habit, I dont know.

And yes, it is rather annoying when people say that we are all sinners when I see the person saying that as having no right, having no right to judge me, not knowing me at all, but based on their own personal religion. A religion which is entirely faith based, keep in mind. It might fit you very well, and obviously fits all who believe in it, but it isn't a one size fits all and cannot be applied to everyone. It is continually insulting and frustrating to have it slapped on like it should just be accepted. It is no different to me following others around constantly pointing out why they are bad, wrong, uninformed, or faulted. Besides all this, I have enough of my own guilt. I dont want or need anymore taken on willingly by either myself or someone else who deems it fit to declare me a sinner. I am frankly sick of hearing it. And am frankly sick of the pious reactions as though I have no bloody right to feel as such. I do wish any of those who do this, could feel it from my point of view. I think anyone who had compassion would cease it if they understood.

If yourself nbc, or 80s, want to discuss it, then please also consider saying somethng directly. Speaking in 3rd person is just plain rude, religion aside.

Thanks.
:)

I opened this thread solely because part of the title was "for non religious people".

but thats not the case.

It would be really nice if this place could have a convo without some people implying that non religious people require God in their lives. :(

PS I firmly believe Bono is referring to his own personal God Shaped Hole, not slandering non theist types.

Angela Harlem said:
And yes, it is rather annoying when people say that we are all sinners when I see the person saying that as having no right, having no right to judge me, not knowing me at all, but based on their own personal religion. A religion which is entirely faith based, keep in mind. It might fit you very well, and obviously fits all who believe in it, but it isn't a one size fits all and cannot be applied to everyone. It is continually insulting and frustrating to have it slapped on like it should just be accepted. It is no different to me following others around constantly pointing out why they are bad, wrong, uninformed, or faulted. Besides all this, I have enough of my own guilt. I dont want or need anymore taken on willingly by either myself or someone else who deems it fit to declare me a sinner. I am frankly sick of hearing it. And am frankly sick of the pious reactions as though I have no bloody right to feel as such. I do wish any of those who do this, could feel it from my point of view. I think anyone who had compassion would cease it if they understood.

I believe the statement is one of the human condition, not one of judgment. I understand that you believe the statement may not be taken any other way but as judgment. Perhaps that is an overlooked aspect of the various approaches to life represented on this board.

Sin, with all its connotations, is not always welcomed by those who do not live by it. Perhaps there is more overlooking of approaches to life than you realise. Rather than turn to other angles, please try and listen. That's all.

Back
Top Bottom