Religion: It's Good For Your Health!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Macfistowannabe said:
I don't know why your wording appears that you think suicide is "a way out of hell." Suicide is horrible, it brings everyone you know down, and scars them for life. They will feel that they are to blame for it.

I think it can be a way out of hell for some people. Not everyone certainly -- but I will not judge one who commits suicide too harshly. I do believe that some people's lives are so consumed with pain (physical, emotional, whatever) and they have tried and tried to conquer their pain, but haven't been able to get relief -- that suicide may be their last, best option. I won't condemn them.

It's not our job to condemn those who commit suicide, but if there is any way to talk someone out of it, I will do that.

Patients with no religious affiliation were more likely to have had a first-degree relative who committed suicide and to have a history of substance abuse, the study's findings indicate. They also tended to be younger, were less often married or had children and were less often in contact with their family members.

Upon further analysis, Oquendo and her team found that attempted suicide was most common among patients who did not think suicide was immoral and those with less feelings of family responsibility, both of which were most common among men and women with no religious affiliation.
I found these two paragraphs pretty interesting.

The way my religion helps me cope with my blahs is that I think God put me here for a purpose. There's something specific I'm supposed to do with my life. I think some people who are depressed big time feel useless or that they're not really here for anything and thus have no motive for pushing on. One need not be religious to have a sense of purpose in life but sometimes it doesn't hurt.

Or he's possibly just speaking from his own personal experience. You're sounding like a lawyer nbc :wink:

People need to look at the issue of suicide as a whole and relate religion only where religion fits in. If it is going to help anyone overcome feelings of isolation and lack of support, then like any positive force it needs to be embraced and clung to tightly.

I find this article strange on the whole.
:slant:

Macfistowannabe said:
I know a couple who went to a village in India as missionaries. In this village, the men have a 60% suicide rate. That's how low their economic status is out there. They have never heard of the gospel, and my guess is that they would have much more hope if they had more to live for.

Well if the high suicide rate is due to poverty, I'd say decent housing, clean water, three square meals a day and not having to worry about the possibility of your family dropping dead tomorrow would be more use than 'the gospel'.

verte76 said:
The way my religion helps me cope with my blahs is that I think God put me here for a purpose. There's something specific I'm supposed to do with my life. I think some people who are depressed big time feel useless or that they're not really here for anything and thus have no motive for pushing on. One need not be religious to have a sense of purpose in life but sometimes it doesn't hurt.

:up: :yes:. I like this answer.

Angela

indra said:

That's condescending as all hell.

How many times have "people of faith" as you call them said "oh well, it's God's will" and put it out of their pretty little heads when something like the disaster in Asia happens? "Deeper value for life" my ass. :mad: Some do, some don't -- just like everyone else.

Perhaps "people of faith" are just more frightened of going to hell if they commit suicide. Atheists know it doesn't exist, so if life is hell, suicide ends that hell.

Correction, Atheist think hell does not exist.

if you're truly involved with god and jesus, it is great for your health. negative emotions such as anger, jealousy, hatred and pride will destroy your cell health which makes you vulnerable to depression and disease.

Anger and depression are things we like to think of as temporary, and as a believer, I find them even more temporary - think of eternal life compared to a few bad days on earth. I'm not sure I can make that comparison, but to find that time doesn't matter as much as we think it might, just think what it would be like not to have time. How great would that be?

Back
Top Bottom