Red Nose Day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FizzingWhizzbees

ONE love, blood, life
Today is Red Nose Day! Which means, among other thing, that if you live in the UK you're likely to have seen lots of people wearing huge red clown-like noses. But that isn't the point of this thread.

Comic Relief, which organises Red Nose Day, is an organisation which exists to fight povery and social injustice, both in the UK and in some of the poorest countries in the world.

Every two years they hold a fundraising day, called Red Nose Day where loads of celebrities, comedians, musicians etc give their time for free to make a whole evening of tv shows to raise awareness of their causes.

Anyway, to get to my point. I've been watching this all night. And they just had one of the most heartbreaking videos I've ever seen. It showed a little girl, no more than six or seven years old, trying to care for her baby sister of two years old. They both lived on the streets. The older girl put her sister to bed on a street corner and covered her with a blanket, as the narrator explained that the younger girl can't walk because her feet have been bitten by rats. And as a caption on the screen said that one in five children in Africa don't live to the age of five.

Another video showed a house which Comic Relief had helped a family to build. It showed one of the children of that family and how delighted they were to have a home which consisted of one room in which their whole family slept.

I don't really know why I'm posting this. It's not like I've just suddenly woken up to what's happening around the world after watching just one evening of tv. It just really shocked me to see those videos. And yet it's inspiring to know that there are charities out there who are working night and day to make a difference.

So...I guess that's all I was saying and if you want to know more about comic relief or give them some money or just have a few minutes free and want to browse a random website then have a look at www.comicrelief.org.uk

That's all, sorry to have subjected everyone to this pointless ramble.

there aren't many occasions that manage to combine humor and tragedy quite like Red Nose Day

I'm glad you posted the info about Red Nose Day. I'm glad people are doing something substantive about world problems instead of abolishing French fries and other such Trivial Pursuit of Idiocy that's passing for so much of today's politics.

Back
Top Bottom